Status of WP7 Companion Version 1.2

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
hack-o-holic

HTPC Specs: Show details

Status of WP7 Companion Version 1.2

Post by hack-o-holic » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:22 pm

Ok, sarcasm aside, what is going on? I was in beta and tested beta versions of WP7 Companion app that worked better than the ver 1.1.0.0 app we got when you went live. Current problems:
Autologon no longer works (was working great by end of beta)
Connecting to PC takes EONS and times out the first time (just like a few of the beta version used to but by RTM it was connecting in under 7 seconds!)
Still only have partial remote control buttons working (very close but a few still don't work)
No authentication

So here is my real complaint. I've been waiting for WEEKS for an update to show up in the Windows Phone Marketplace. I believe Motz said a week ago that there are TWO new updates in the pipe but we have yet to see the first and a week ago he said it was submitted two weeks prior! Is M$ really this lame to take three weeks to approve a simple update to an app they already approved and certified? What gives? Motz?

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:47 pm

So here is exactly what has happened and I have no problem at all being completely honest with you guys.

V 1.1.0.0 was released and everyone had it.
On 9/20 I submitted an update (1.2.2.0) to Microsoft with basically all of the fixes you have listed there and more
On 9/27 at 10:25PM microsoft rejected my update for a pre-existing bug (on certain screens if you hit the home button(windows button) and then hit the back button the app doesn't restart)
On 9/27 11:30PM I re-submitted a new app update with a fix for this issue although it had always been there.
On 10/10 Microsoft rejects this update for a different bug they found (if you go to premieres section and there are none and you hit filter and hit check mark app crashes, again another bug that is always there)
On 10/11 at around 4PM (in 3 hours) I will submit a new update with new features as well to Microsoft (1.2.3.1 or something like this)

MS doesn't actually look at the builds for up to 7 business days, and if we fail again then I start over. we have spent the last several days going through every page and screen non stop.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Maybe Microsoft should go through the entire program once and list all the bugs they find instead of just a single thing, so you aren't forced to keep re-doing it?
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:06 pm

Unfortunately that is not how it works with them. If your app crashes even once during the process they stop testing completely and fail you.

So as an independent developer and not part of Ceton I have a blog where I actually wrote about this yesterday: http://www.motzwrit.es/post/33309406053 ... en-process
It was sparked from this, but as I said this from my own personal experience and not of Ceton or any company i have ever worked for
I Write, Code, and Tweet

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Way to get those all important developers on side MSFT!

It's not like you need to catch up with the BIG mobile (cell) phone boys is it!?!?!?!?

Developers! Developers! Developers!

I love WP7, give us believers a break Steve................

My android tablet seems to update at an amazing rate, I bet the phones do as well!!
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:19 pm

makryger wrote:Maybe Microsoft should go through the entire program once and list all the bugs they find instead of just a single thing, so you aren't forced to keep re-doing it?
Maybe the pot shouldn't be trying to verify the quality of the kettles code. Ceton should send a list of the bugs that still exist in MCE along with the next version of the App.
Last edited by Venom51 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:26 pm

Venom51 wrote:
makryger wrote:Maybe Microsoft should go through the entire program once and list all the bugs they find instead of just a single thing, so you aren't forced to keep re-doing it?
Maybe the pot shouldn't be trying to verify the quality of the kettles code. Ceton should send a list of the bugs that still exist in MCE along with the next version of the App.
OMG Did you nail it with that last comment...haha... "Ceton should send a list of the bugs that still exist in MCE along with the next version of the App.".. Love it! :lol:

Hey MS.. Remember these?
BSOD_Main.png
BSOD Anyone?
BSOD_Main.png (124.76 KiB) Viewed 2875 times
:D

Or for a me a more recent issue..
Invalid App.jpg
TV Archive Invalid App..
I got this finally fixed but it breaks Media Browser.. more info on that here :
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =11&t=2829

newfiend~

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:48 pm

I don't blame anyone but myself I do strive to make a flawless product, but we can't catch every edge case out there.

I do flip the script in my tumblr rant a bit and I understand why they do it.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:38 am

Motz wrote:I don't blame anyone but myself I do strive to make a flawless product, but we can't catch every edge case out there.

I do flip the script in my tumblr rant a bit and I understand why they do it.
No matter how good you are (or anyone is for that matter) no one is perfect. Software will always be this way.. there is no way to cover every possible glitch, bug and hardware combination out there. I understand why MS wants to have solid apps..Mobile is becoming a necessity for many and they want a solid platform and apps that match. But man.. I was hoping for the update awhile ago as well.. but I don't blame you. Stuff happens and I know you guys will make it right and we will eventually get it.
Sorry you had such a hard time with this release.. We appreciate all your hard work and honesty Motz.. Thanks.
newfiend~

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:31 am

it is a pretty beefy update though:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xFQ ... SNECc/edit

So that is good :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Cup

Post by Cup » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:51 am

I just want to be able to 'see' listings for my local channels.... ;)

Motz, here's to hoping that the WP7 Marketplace people don't blow up your app this time! :beer:
-Cup
~~Nearly every day of my life is some kind of computer hell....

Click here for my system specs

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:58 am

Cup what was the issues you were having again? was it with sub numbers? ... Android? iOS? i think i fixed that all up now.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Cup

Post by Cup » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Subchannels being listed at the end of the Guide, and not showing any program data
(info is there, though, if you select a channel in the Guide.)

I can take a pic & post that fi you want. ;)

WP7.
(it's fine on the wife's iPhone.)
-Cup

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Just sent you an email cup. I want to make sure that it is 100% before I send this guy in. I delayed it another day to do some more testing.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:04 am

And submitted V 1.2.3.3 at 6:04PM PST !
I Write, Code, and Tweet

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:48 am

Thanks Motz.. Now we wait 7-10 days for a MS sign off on it.. I read your rant on the certification process..what a pain.. I hope they can simplify the update process over time. Looking forward to the update everyone else had for weeks already...lol

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Update for you guys...

10/17 12:25pm: Failed certification because they needed a "test" account for the app because no tv or movies were showing up...
10/17 12:35pm: Emailed back with a question as to how it passed certification to begin with as we never had a test account... and of course supplied them with our test servers... They take up to 2 days to respond to emails :)
And so the fun starts all over again.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Cup

Post by Cup » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:54 pm

wow..... :shock:
:facepalm:
-Cup

STC

Post by STC » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:02 pm

Pretty much sums up Microsofts disconnect with reality.

Similarities The Borg and The Collective I think.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:21 pm

Motz wrote:Update for you guys...

10/17 12:25pm: Failed certification because they needed a "test" account for the app because no tv or movies were showing up...
10/17 12:35pm: Emailed back with a question as to how it passed certification to begin with as we never had a test account... and of course supplied them with our test servers... They take up to 2 days to respond to emails :)
And so the fun starts all over again.
10/22 11:12pm: Failed certification because nothing happens when they press Play.

:D