WHS 2011 WMC TV Archive = Invalid Application (FIXED Again!)

Talk about setting up your home network.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

WHS 2011 WMC TV Archive = Invalid Application (FIXED Again!)

Post by newfiend » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:32 am

Ok..
A little background..
I installed WHS 2011 on my new built WHS. OS on an SSD, Shared Files etc. on a HDD.
I installed the HDD and set up my Shared folders on it. I then a week later decided that the drive I was going to use was just too small and updated to a newer 2TB drive.
I moved all the shared (default) folders with the dashboard to the new 2TB drive. Prior to adding the 2TB drive I opened Computer Management/Disk Management and changed the Drive Letter on the HDD I was removing So I could make the new 2TB drive, Drive E:. I then used the dashboard to migrate the default shared folders from the old HDD to the new 2TB with the WHS Dashboard. After that I formatted the smaller Drive to use for the Server OS Backup for now.

Now on to my issue...
I have a TV Archive application on my WMC main menu now but it constantly fails with Invalid Application error Unable to launch TV Archive...
I have removed the Connector software from the HTPC as well as removed the HTPC from the Server. I then rebooted both machines and reinstalled the Connector software on the HTPC.
I still get the same error. Not sure where I am going wrong here and any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I made sure the Recorded TV folder on the Server had Read/Write access to the Homegroup and my user account.
Thanks in Advance,
newfiend~
Last edited by newfiend on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

flocko

Post by flocko » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:15 am

WMC is trained by default to look for content on the local C drive. Since you have changed drive letters in the server on the new storage drive you did remember to go back into WMC and point it to the correct drive that holds the play back content , right ?

Here's what I found WMC likes the best as far as play back from a server . You can create or should I say make the folders that hold the play back content on the server "mapped network drives" and map them to the htpc and then tell (point WMC ) to look for the content on those drives . . Also , not sure about this one but a shot in the dark would be an issue with " record or copy once content" . I have seen this go both way's. I did not have an issue but then again I am using mapped net wok drives.

Wish I could help more . I don't want to drone on .... but . You do know that you can't record live tv directly to any other drive but the local drive on the htpc that holds WMC ? That's a huge issue with WMC and Microsoft screwed the pooch on that one . I record a few shows to the local drive ( o.s drive) on the htpc and then manually move them to the server later . Again there are hacks for this but are quite complex and most people say that the hack works but causes other issues and usually migrate away from it. Off topic a bit but..

BTW . I hate WHS connector software and use the dashboard only to add "users " to the server. I use rdp and run the server headless . Of coarse you need W7 pro or higher on the client machine to do this or a reg hack for W7 home premium which that hack can be found right here on TGB .

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:35 pm

I know that MC by default wants to record to C:, I have already changed this a long time ago as I have a SSD for an OS drive and a 2TB and a 1TB drive inside the HTPC itself. Currently the HTPC records to the 2TB drive inside the HTPC. I did go Into Tasks/Settings and added the Recorded TV shared folder on the Server to the Library.

From My understanding .. (and I could be wrong here) but the recordings are made on the main HTPC then you can configure the Tv Archive to store the shows on the server if you like by automatically moving them to the "recorded TV shared folder" on the server by setting up the TV Archive.. However I can't even launch TV Archive as I get the Error I posted above.

Only things I found on the topic online were :
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/w ... d8f1c14120

I also checked Services.msc to see if the Windows Server Media Center TV Archive Transfer Service is there and it is NOT there.. I would assume this would have to be present and working for this to work.. found out about that here:
http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/ ... need-help/

and at WEC here: http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... 60788.aspx

One thing I have not tried is when installing the connector software, I just clicked RUN instead of saving the file to the HDD first then starting the installation from there. Guess I could Uninstall Connector software and then reinstall, this time saving the installation file and run it as ADMIN on the Client Machines to see if that makes a difference??

So Far Google hasn't helped much on this issue.. Any other suggestions?

newfiend~
Last edited by newfiend on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:08 am

There are 36 threads on this in the Microsoft WHS 2011 forum. Try this one:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-U ... ce4861aeea
Geoff Coupe

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Geoff... You're awesome!!. Thanks so much for that link!!!!
This has been driving me crazy! LOL
I'll give this a go tonight after work. I was actually hoping you would post on this topic! Your input has been well valued during the building of my server. I appreciate all your input and help. Thank You!
newfiend~

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:49 pm

scratch this post... If you're using Media Browser these settings will break it... It enables the TV Archive but Media Browser will not display any Images or Metadata... See next post below.. :(

Geoff... You're my hero! That worked perfectly! I just followed the instructions by Mavrrick and that did the trick.. TV Archive is now working. :clap:

For others that may have this issue I will post the fix below.. And once Again.. Thanks to gcoupe and Mavrrick on Connect!!
Before you attempt this fix, just a few tips below that may help you accomplish this successfully..

Tip # .5 As with any modification to system files BACK UP THE ORIGINAL FILES! This at some point may save your system. I was able to modify mine and so far things are working perfect. But you should always back up a file prior to modifying them!
Also a Disclaimer,.. I do not accept responsability if this hoses your system, frys your PC, or Kicks your Dog.. Procede at your own risk.

Tip #1 You can create a config file using notepad on your Windows 7 PC. To create the config file open Notepad, copy and paste the contents below as noted into the notepad. once that's done click file, and then select "save as" not Save.
name the file exactly as it says below only make sure you put quotes in front of and at the end of the file name like this:

"Microsoft.HomeServer.Archive.TransferService.exe.config"

then click the Save button (Make sure you save it to a location you can easily find the new file, like the desktop.) Copy the new config file to the correct location in the instructions below.

Tip #1.5 Click Start, type services.msc in the search box and open it. Find the Windows Server Media Center TV Archive Transfer Service, Right Click the Service and select properties. On the General TAB set Start up Type to Automatic, click Apply then OK. start the service. Exit Services.msc.

Tip #2 You can easily edit the ehexthost.exe.config file by installing the "Take Ownership" reg hack available here: http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/03/essentia ... media.html
download the file and merge with your registry. Once that's done you can open the eHome folder and right click the ehexthost.exe.config and take ownership. Then right click it again and Open.. If it doesn't open with notepad automatically just point it toward notepad as the program to open with, then make the changes and save them and close the ehexthost.exe.config file.

Tip #3 Reboot the PC after all the changes have been made. Then Open Media Center and open TV Archive. Enjoy.

Instructions for the fix below.. Good Luck.. worked for me! :thumbup:

The first thing needed is to correct the TV Archive Service. This can be done fairly easily by createing a config file in the location that the WHS Connecter installs in. That is located at C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin. Create a file called Microsoft.HomeServer.Archive.TransferService.exe.config

The contents of this file should be as follows

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
<startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
<supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0"/>
</startup>
</configuration>

Save the file and then try to start the service. If the service doesn't start check and make sure the file actually ends in .config. You will probably have to change it from a text file.
(EDIT: If you used quotes like in my tip #1 when saving the file above it should save as a config file with no need to convert it! newfiend~)

Now the fun part, the above just correct the TV Archive service. It doesn't correct the Plug in in Media Center. The file that is creating the problems there is in the c:/windows/ehome folder and is called ehexthost.exe.config. The files in ehome are protected from being changed. Well that protection works great in Windows, but what about other operating systems. I had a old copy of Ubuntu sitting around. I remembered that you can boot from that disk and do some basic tasks. So I created a copy of ehexthost.exe.config and made the change below.
(EDIT: Instead of using Ubuntu I just used the "Take Ownership Reg Hack" found at Hack7MC.com. Much easier and quicker. Right click ehexthost.exe.config, Take Ownership then open and modify it, Save and Exit. newfiend~)

Replace

<startup>
<supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727" />
</startup>

With

<startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
<supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0"/>
</startup>

HTH,
newfiend~
Last edited by newfiend on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:57 am

Ok Well The Fix Above will enable the TV Archive in WMC and it does work splendid.. but It breaks Media Browser.. The Artwork Folder.jpg's and Backdrop images will not load, nor will the associated metadata for the movies..

You can use the menu in MB to go through your collection but there are no images or text. BUMMER!! :shock:
I replaced my files with the backups I made and everything is back to normal... except TV Archive...*sigh* :crazy:

Anyone good at writing/editing .config files know why it breaks Media Browser and how I may fix it?

Thanks to all that have replied to this thread but unfortunately I need Media Browser. help!
newfiend~

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:24 am

For anyone else that comes across this issue with WHS 2011 this KB Article has the answer :thumbup: it seems that if you install WHS 2011 Update Rollup 3 Prior to the Connector software TV Archive will not get the "rollup" updates it needs to keep/get things working.).. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2758353

To resolve this issue, uninstall and then reinstall the latest update rollup for Windows Home Server 2011 and the Windows Home Server 2011 Client Connector. To do this, follow these steps:

1.Uninstall the latest Update Rollup for Windows Home Server 2011 (KB2705118).
To do this, start the Programs and Features item in Control Panel, click View installed updates, and then, in the list of updates under Microsoft Windows, select the update rollup (KB2705118) and uninstall it.

2.Uninstall Windows Home Server 2011 Client Connector from the Windows 7-based client computer by using the Programs and Features item in Control Panel.

3.Rejoin the client to the server by using Windows Home Server 2011 Client Connector.

4.Run Windows Update from the server. Make sure that Update Rollup for Windows Home Server 2011 (KB2705118) appears in the list of updates, and then install the update rollup on the server.
After you install the update rollup, the client update is installed on the client computer automatically.
A reboot is then required and TV Archive works once again.. :thumbup:

I hope this helps someone else out.
newfiend~

dbailey75

Post by dbailey75 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:19 pm

:?: Question, can we keep a copy of the old installation file, prior to rollup 3, so that we don't have to roll back the the server software each time, and re-download? Not sure if you tested this, and if not, Looks like I'll have to do it over the weekend, I'll try to post back my results.

Thanks for posting this, no search would pickup the MS KB. :clap:

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:36 pm

dbailey75 wrote::?: Question, can we keep a copy of the old installation file, prior to rollup 3, so that we don't have to roll back the the server software each time, and re-download? Not sure if you tested this, and if not, Looks like I'll have to do it over the weekend, I'll try to post back my results.

Thanks for posting this, no search would pickup the MS KB. :clap:
Not that I know of.. At this time the connector software MUST be installed prior to Rollup 3. If you don't do it in that order the Connector "roll up updates" don't get pushed to the connector software (and Media Centers TV Archive) and you will get an Invalid Application error when trying to launch TV Archive within Media Center..

Also..Anyone using Media Browser
There seems to be a bug when Meida Browsers Folders are on the same drive as Media Centers Recorded TV folder. (The folder all your TV Recordings are saved in.)

Once the Rollup updates are installed if any movie folders for Media Browser are on the same drive as the Recorded TV folder Media Browser will NOT display any Metadata, Folder.jpg's or Backdrops.

I found this out by accident actually as I had a Folder named HD Movies on the same drive as Recorded TV as well as another folder on my Server Named HD Movies 2 .. Any of the movies on the server would display Artwork, Metadata and backdrops just fine in Media Browser but none of the movies on the same drive as the Recorded TV folder would.

I moved all the movies to the HD Movies 2 folder on the server and then all my artwork and metadata returned and works in Media Browser..
I started a post over at the Media Browser forum here http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permal ... ia-browser about the issue.. if any of you are having the same problem please post here so we can help get this resolved.
Thanks,
newfiend~