How to remove channels that I don't receive?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
jsrober

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to remove channels that I don't receive?

Post by jsrober » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi,

I have a SiliconDust HDRCC3. It's awesome! I love having all my PC's able to connect to it and watch TV. The best toy I've bought in a long time!

I have Verizon FiOS and there are a whole bunch of channels in MCE that I do not receive as part of my package. How do I get the SiliconDust software or MCE to remove all the channels that I don't receive? I can't imagine going through every PC and deselecting them. That would be horrible.

Thanks,
John

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:53 pm

WMC has no way of knowing what channels you are entitled to view, as entitlements are a function of the CableCARD. To disable channels to which you do not subscribe, you will need to manually remove them from the EPG on each machine.

jsrober

Post by jsrober » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:02 pm

Can't the SiliconDust software talk to the CableCard and figure this out? It doesn't seem like it would be hard. What am I missing?

STC

Post by STC » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:16 am

Effort!

Nothing is easy in this game :)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:42 am

You can edit the channels in the HDHomeRun setup utility on each PC, and then Media Center won't add them to the guide. Or... you can manually disable them in the Edit Channels menu in Media Center.

Just be happy that you can remove all the duplicate channels and channels to which you don't subscribe. You can't do that on the DVR from the cable company... and removing them makes searching the guide much, much easier.

tomtoth

Post by tomtoth » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:02 pm

The best way to do this, is a tool called GuideTool http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool .. I have Verizon Fios too and get the same huge amount of channels. Run guide tool on media pc, and then on my desktop so I can remotely edit the channel line up on the media PC. So my guide ONLY shows the channels I Watch, no more local's and SD channels. Verizon does add channels here and there so you will see them pop up but you can go edit them. The edited guide also shows up on the xbox.

Cup

Post by Cup » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:58 am

Me (being a digital cable (CableCard) user, who doens't subscribe to any of the add-on packages), I've never found it to be an issue just disabling the unsubscribed channels from within Media Center.
And, I actually find it faster to use a keyboard to do this, too (it responds faster than my Harmony 600, or even a "real" MC remote, does.)

Tasks > Settings > TV > Guide > Edit channels.
Line up on the 'checkbox' column. Hit the space bar to (un)check the box.
Pro tip: type a channel number to jump to that channel. Use the arrow keys to move up/down.
Hit the Save button when done.

Any time I've had to re-run TV Setup on my Media Center, I can burn thru this step in roughly 2 minutes.

And, yes, anytime the cableco adds channels, those show up in the Guide. Simple enough to arrow over to the channel column, hit Info > Disable channel.
-Cup
~~Nearly every day of my life is some kind of computer hell....

Click here for my system specs

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:01 pm

Hey Chris! Nice to see you here.

I gave the same advice to the OP, but the truth is that I use both/either the Edit Channels menu, or Guide Tool. Your description of using the arrow key and space bar is exactly how I do it in both methods. One nice thing about Guide Tool is that you can select a bunch of channels at the same time (either by clicking the first one, and then holding shift and clicking the last one... or by holding the control key and clicking each one that you want to select) and then I can press the space bar to select/de-select a bunch of channels all at once.

One nice advantage to doing it through the HD HomeRun setup utility is that once you de-select them, they will never come back... even when you re-run TV Setup in Media Center. It can be a big time saver in the long run.

werds

Post by werds » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:35 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Hey Chris! Nice to see you here.

I gave the same advice to the OP, but the truth is that I use both/either the Edit Channels menu, or Guide Tool. Your description of using the arrow key and space bar is exactly how I do it in both methods. One nice thing about Guide Tool is that you can select a bunch of channels at the same time (either by clicking the first one, and then holding shift and clicking the last one... or by holding the control key and clicking each one that you want to select) and then I can press the space bar to select/de-select a bunch of channels all at once.

One nice advantage to doing it through the HD HomeRun setup utility is that once you de-select them, they will never come back... even when you re-run TV Setup in Media Center. It can be a big time saver in the long run.

I use both as well, For me the advantage to Guide Tool is that I can SAVE the channel lineups once I have edited them to my pleasure and restore them at later dates if say I re-image or need to rerun Media center setup