Blu-ray Playback Software & 3D

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by newfiend » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:30 pm

It wasn't so much a rough ride as it was growing pains.. We were noobs to all this stuff at one time and you learn as you go. The real thanks goes to forums like this where people come together and support each other. And to me that's priceless. It makes the whole MC experience much more enjoyable. I enjoy helping where I can but I will admit I learned a lot from the great people here and over at WEC. Without them I would have given up long ago in frustration.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:59 pm

Well I guess we kicked the hell out of Blu-ray player software.

Is there anything I need to know about rippin and burnin?

ruderthanyou

Post by ruderthanyou » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:03 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Well I guess we kicked the hell out of Blu-ray player software.
The horse ain't quite dead yet...Another big reason why to go with TMT5 now; it doesn't have Cinavia. Cyberlink/PowerDVD just implemented it with the lastest patch.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:38 pm

Cinavia, that sounds like a venereal disease. Will those DRM guys ever give up. I guess if I read between the lines you just typed, PowerDVD just got paid.

How widespread is this Cinavia thing?

Glad to see someone is working on it http://noerrors.info/ Fix Cinavia PS3.
Last edited by Crash2009 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:09 am

What has always seemed funny to me is that no matter how well they encrypt something digital there is always someone out there that's just as smart (or smarter) than the encrypter.

DRM always get cracked...eventually.. I remember when DVD's got cracked and then the flood of DVD copy software hit the market. Blu-Ray will be no different (already copyable now).

This is another reason I think the studios will eventually be moving from physical media to a streaming option, and even then they will encrypt it somehow ..and someone will find a way to decrypt it and copy the stream into a file.. It's just going to happen. LOL

I really don't see any way for them to really protect it.. It's like locks on the door of your home.. It keeps honest people honest. If someone wants in your home (or your media) bad enough they will find a way in...
And just for clarification I don't condone reverse engineering DRM..but someone will do it.
newfiend~
Last edited by newfiend on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:42 am

I wonder if that is how MS decided to sunset Media Center. They noticed nobody in the community bothered to crack the DRM used by Media Center, so clearly not enough critical mass usage to be relevant.
Greg

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:49 pm

Further testing has revealed that I might need an adjustment. Not sure which settings I need to change, and don't want to go monkeying around without some direction. I probably could recover using the PRE_MKV.image and/or PRE_MKV.reg

Here is what's happening.

When I open WMC and navigate to my movie directory, then select an MKV file to play, the file plays fine, and I can see AC3 and Haali are running down in the Taskbar.

Where the problem comes in, is when I am using Windows Explorer, and navigate to the movie directory, double-click on the MKV file, WMP opens, and plays the file (with NO sound), then when I look at the taskbar, I can see that AC3 has not kicked in.

I was thinking that maybe I just need to turn something ON, within the settings of AC3.

Any suggestions?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:57 pm

As you mentioned before, the registry patch didn't make Media Center the default player for MKV files. You could go ahead and do that as you described in an earlier post. However, I have to wonder why you are trying to play your media files via the Windows Explorer. That defeats the purpose of Media Center.

Media Center is a great way to aggregate and organize your media. If you use the Movies, Videos, Music, and Pictures libraries as they are intended, your MKV files will show up in Movies and/or Videos (depending on what directory you put them in, and what library that directory is assigned to).

My recommendation is to setup your libraries in Media Center, and just use Media Center to find what you want to watch.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:45 pm

Since your using explorer to find and play the file I am assuming that it's launching windows media player to play the .mkv some .mkvs have multiple audio tracks and it could be that wmp is playing a different track contained within the .mkv container. Ther are options in wmp to select different audio tracks during playback. Try switching audio tracks and see if ac3 kicks in.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express