How-To WHS2011 & Ceton?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
TheOsburnFamil

HTPC Specs: Show details

How-To WHS2011 & Ceton?

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:35 am

Can anyone share their how-to experience in regards to putting a ceton card in a whs2011 server and sharing/splitting the tuners out?

Thanks!
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

Jay

Post by Jay » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:36 pm

TheOsburnFamil wrote:Can anyone share their how-to experience in regards to putting a ceton card in a whs2011 server and sharing/splitting the tuners out?

Thanks!
I don't think this is possible as WHS2011 doesn't have Windows Media Center which is required to run the "Ceton Sharing Wizard". I could be mistaken about WHS 2011 not having Media Center however.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:11 am

Jay, it is indeed possible.

You need to install the current 64bit Ceton driver software package, make sure your hw & fw for the ceton card are up-to-date, then you need to hit the card's internal website (192.168.200.1 by default) and configure the network settings to use your network address scheme (you can either set a static IP address for the card, or tell it to use DHCP. If you use DHCP, you should set up a DHCP Reservation by MAC so it will always have the same IP moving forward.). After that's done, you'll then need to bridge the WHS LAN connection with the Ceton NIC connection. Set a static (again either manually or via DHCP) IP address for the newly created bridge connection. From there, make sure to setup the firewall ports to allow the traffic through to the whs box and you're all set on the WHS server side.

Now, go to the clients and install the sharing utility from ceton's website & configure the clients as normal.

MissingRemote has a good article on it; but, that's what I did and it's working fine.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:02 am

I have created a WIKI page on this if you don't mind confirming the steps listed there and updating.

http://wmc.wikia.com/wiki/Networking_a_ ... ome_Server
Greg

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:17 pm

TheOsburnFamil wrote:Jay, it is indeed possible.

You need to install the current 64bit Ceton driver software package, make sure your hw & fw for the ceton card are up-to-date, then you need to hit the card's internal website (192.168.200.1 by default) and configure the network settings to use your network address scheme (you can either set a static IP address for the card, or tell it to use DHCP. If you use DHCP, you should set up a DHCP Reservation by MAC so it will always have the same IP moving forward.). After that's done, you'll then need to bridge the WHS LAN connection with the Ceton NIC connection. Set a static (again either manually or via DHCP) IP address for the newly created bridge connection. From there, make sure to setup the firewall ports to allow the traffic through to the whs box and you're all set on the WHS server side.

Now, go to the clients and install the sharing utility from ceton's website & configure the clients as normal.

MissingRemote has a good article on it; but, that's what I did and it's working fine.
Thanks for the info. I did not realize you could 'manually' configure the tuners. Now you have me thinking about combining my WHS and HTPC into one machine. Have to weigh the pros/cons.

Jay

eddiechi

Post by eddiechi » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:06 pm

I have been trying to share my tuners to 3 client PC's on my network ... could anyone elaborate on how to switch to a static Ip or set a static IP up? It seems everytime I try to allocate the tuners and WMC sets up the bridge between the Ceton card and Local Network it loses the ability to detect the tuners.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:42 pm

eddiechi wrote: I have been trying to share my tuners to 3 client PC's on my network ... could anyone elaborate on how to switch to a static Ip or set a static IP up? It seems everytime I try to allocate the tuners and WMC sets up the bridge between the Ceton card and Local Network it loses the ability to detect the tuners.
Assuming you have a DHCP server on your network, there is no need to set a static IP (and I'd generally discourage you from doing so, as many people get it wrong setting it up).

You need to have the InfiniTV on the same network (either through a static IP or putting it in DHCP client mode) before bridging, or you will get the behavior you describe.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

npradeepkumar

Post by npradeepkumar » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:04 am

I am curious on the 2nd part here. I tried to do something similar, but with my regular PC. I was able to specify a DHCP reservation on my router to give the ceton card a static ip based on its mac address. I am trying to do the same for the network bridge, but it looks like the mac address for the bridge changes everytime I restart my pc. Is there some other way to assign a static ip using a DHCP reservation for a network bridge

rekd0514

Post by rekd0514 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:37 pm

....so this works for me, but I can't get Remote Web Access to work no matter what I try. I verified ports 80 , 443, and 3389 are open in pfsense and I have DHCP lease/reservations for both the Ceton and WHS from what I can see. Even with UPNP turned on it won't work....? Any ideas? Should NAT reflection be on or off? The errors that come up are no internet available and UPNP is off? They both are on and working...

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! :D

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:59 pm

rekd0514 wrote:....so this works for me, but I can't get Remote Web Access to work no matter what I try. I verified ports 80 , 443, and 3389 are open in pfsense and I have DHCP lease/reservations for both the Ceton and WHS from what I can see. Even with UPNP turned on it won't work....? Any ideas? Should NAT reflection be on or off? The errors that come up are no internet available and UPNP is off? They both are on and working...

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! :D
To clarify, are you trying to make the InfiniTV web page externally accessible? If so, why? Can you get to the page on the WHS box?

rekd0514

Post by rekd0514 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:05 pm

erkotz wrote:To clarify, are you trying to make the InfiniTV web page externally accessible? If so, why? Can you get to the page on the WHS box?

No I'm not trying to make the InfiniTV web page externally accessible. This is for the WHS Remote Web Access page.

To add more info to my situation, this is the reson why I decided to put the Ceton in the WHS 2011 box.
http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... 02439.aspx
erkotz to my rescue again! haha :D

I ended up doing the exact same setup as the above thread, but I now have the WHS 2011 with Ceton box right where the cable comes in the house. This should get me a the few extra db I need to get the Ceton recording good again I think (this eliminates ~50ft of cable).
http://www.dbsinstall.com/diy/CoaxCableTypes.asp

I have done some more testing and here is what I came up with so far. I can use the Remote Desktop Connection in Win 7 to access the server, I can access the Ceton web page from any PC on the network, and with Remote Web Access turned "ON' on the WHS it is now working. I am not sure how the Remote Web Acess is working, since it is still giving the "no internet error" on the repair tool. I am wondering if it has something to do with the certificate that pfsense is providing since the router info is not showing up at all on the RWA tab???!?! The router information is all unknown after making the connections bridged. Thanks again!

rekd0514

Post by rekd0514 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:23 am

Hey I'm curious about what you get red check marks on in the Ceton Diagnostics Tool on the WMC PC and the WHS 2011 PC.

I am getting red on the WMC on:

Devices: 1, 3, and 4, all understandable considering the ceton is is the WHS

CableCard: 6 is this one supposed to be green?

WHS:

Devices: 2 also understandable since WHS doesn't have WMC

CableCard: 6 again

I should also clarify that I just got a new Ceton from RMA. Do I need to contact my cable company?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:44 am

rekd0514 wrote:Hey I'm curious about what you get red check marks on in the Ceton Diagnostics Tool on the WMC PC and the WHS 2011 PC.

I am getting red on the WMC on:

Devices: 1, 3, and 4, all understandable considering the ceton is is the WHS

CableCard: 6 is this one supposed to be green?

WHS:

Devices: 2 also understandable since WHS doesn't have WMC

CableCard: 6 again

I should also clarify that I just got a new Ceton from RMA. Do I need to contact my cable company?
If 6 is red, you need to contact your MSO to pair your CableCARD

GregV

Post by GregV » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:00 pm

I'll add my recent experience here.

I've been running my infinitv4 in my whs2011 box for over a year without problems with three tuners to my HTPC and one tuner to one of my laptops. Well the laptop died unexpectantly a few months ago and I just now got around to reassigning the tuner to my HTPC.

The problem: I couldn't just unassign the tuner as the laptop was completely dead and I couldn't run the tuner reset as I have the card in the server. When I tried running the tuner reset from within the diagnostics tool it would crash with a file not found error.

The solution: I read somewhere online where someone had a similar problem after rebuilding there PC with a different name. They were able to rename the PC back to the old name, uncheck the tuner to release it, and then name the computer back to the new name and setup the tuners again. This worked for me as well. I had win7 in a VM that I renamed to the same name as my old laptop and I was able to release the tuner to reassign. I now have all four tuners setup for the HTPC. It was a little bit of a hassle but at least it's working.

Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

Silversee

Post by Silversee » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:27 pm

GregV wrote:I'll add my recent experience here.

I've been running my infinitv4 in my whs2011 box for over a year without problems with three tuners to my HTPC and one tuner to one of my laptops. Well the laptop died unexpectantly a few months ago and I just now got around to reassigning the tuner to my HTPC.

The problem: I couldn't just unassign the tuner as the laptop was completely dead and I couldn't run the tuner reset as I have the card in the server. When I tried running the tuner reset from within the diagnostics tool it would crash with a file not found error.

The solution: I read somewhere online where someone had a similar problem after rebuilding there PC with a different name. They were able to rename the PC back to the old name, uncheck the tuner to release it, and then name the computer back to the new name and setup the tuners again. This worked for me as well. I had win7 in a VM that I renamed to the same name as my old laptop and I was able to release the tuner to reassign. I now have all four tuners setup for the HTPC. It was a little bit of a hassle but at least it's working.

Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.
Good solution, thanks.

Did you try to reset the tuner from one of the other PCs that had tuners assigned (your HTPC, for example)? I can't confirm it right now, but believe it might be possible to do this also.

GregV

Post by GregV » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:06 pm

I did try resetting the tuners with the HTPC and had no luck. I originally thought that would work but it never reset the tuners, not even the three previously assigned to the HTPC.