internet TV plugin to be discontinued by Microsoft

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
staknhalo

HTPC Specs: Show details

internet TV plugin to be discontinued by Microsoft

Post by staknhalo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:46 pm

[Moderator note: threads merged]

After an update on my media centers last night, this is displayed when you enter the internet TV app:

For those across the pond, I believe this was called the MSN Player or something. I never used it too much, but did on occasion. Sucks to see it go :/

You guys at Ceton don't have to worry about making sure this app works on the Q at least :P

Danno100

Post by Danno100 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:13 pm

Another indication that Media Center is dying/dead. Once the EPG is gone, there will be no reason to hang onto any Windows PC in my household......
Home Theater/Automation Enthusiast

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:20 pm

Unless we inject epg data some other way...
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:21 pm

^ As Media Center will be available to option with Windows 8, the EPG will continue for some time yet, guaranteed.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Ack

Post by Ack » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:48 pm

STC wrote:^ As Media Center will be available to option with Windows 8, the EPG will continue for some time yet, guaranteed.
I agree. However, if it does go I can confirm that Big Screen EPG does work using Schedules Direct as the EPG source.

rantanamo

Post by rantanamo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:15 pm

shame that MS never did much with Internet TV. If they had simply made it where you could add your own services, it would have been something else, The interface looks incredible. Just needed to be able to add things like Hulu, Amazon, etc and have shows sortable by networks.

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:15 pm

That internet tv option was terrible anyway. It had such poor content options from day one and was never updated. I guess it may have been ok if you wanted to catch up on one of the 5 CBS shows that were supported from last season. That's all I ever saw in this app.
Greg

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:40 pm

gpatlanta wrote:That internet tv option was terrible anyway. It had such poor content options from day one and was never updated. I guess it may have been ok if you wanted to catch up on one of the 5 CBS shows that were supported from last season. That's all I ever saw in this app.
The CBS shows were always updated with the last 3-5 episodes. Seeing as CBS isn't on Hulu that was the main plus of this app. Most of the other content wasn't updated that much though, you are correct. Also it was good for podcasts, before I started using the podcast library app made by Jack Luminous; which is far superior IMO as you can see below.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:53 pm

Saw this over at TDL

http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index. ... ia-center/

Check out the comment section below the article!
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:01 pm

I do enjoy reading misinformed information like that. We all know that MS themselves killed off TGB.com when they changed the design of the site.
At that point a lot of people just left and a few of us decided to carry on with something we could all work in and discuss Media Center related matters without feeling 'bloatwared'.
The important point here is the sequence: MS changed the site THEN two months later after waiting to see if MS could rescue their site (they could not), TGB.tv was born.

TGB.tv was setup to see if people would come and carry on the old ways. Some did come, then a few more. We now have a healthy 2100+ members and it has proved the point that creating TGB.tv was certainly worth it. The members and guests show that.

If TGB.com did not change, we would not be here now. It's that simple.

To blame TGB.tv for the reason Media Center is heading towards EOL is ludicrous :D Ironically, all of us here at TGB.tv, members and guests, should be seen to be keeping Media Center alive!

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:36 pm

With or without this website, WEC would still be a wasteland. It went downhill fast when they changed it.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Not a real loss...sub par quality. Mostly clips and tons of ads.

Plus if you move to win 8 you will have all that stuff with metro apps
I Write, Code, and Tweet

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:16 pm

The Internet TV app was never updated. I did not use it. If it contained more relevant shows, maybe I would have actually used it. However, there was nothing in the app that I could not view with Hulu.

There is no loss here. Don't get upset about this decision. Nothing of value was lost.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:22 pm

The Internet TV plugin was crap. Nobody used it anyway. Who cares? If Microsoft would have actually done something constructive with it, then maybe it wouldn't be going away. But it just took up space in the menu. I'm glad it's going away... it will free up space on the menu for stuff that has actual content.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Remember also that it really only worked for those in the USA. Here in Canada, the feature was pretty much non-existent. I presume the same for Europe.

So for me, nothing gained, nothing lost.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:51 pm

I just had a thought. You know those 'virtual channels' in the EPG? The ones in the 9000's numbers that link to the internet TV content? What's gonna happen with those? Are they just going stay as unresolved links or will Microsoft provide an update that removes them? I know you can disable them yourself (I do) but that doesn't mean Microsoft shouldn't fix it.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:53 am

I'd guess that when the MS update comes down to remove Internet TV then it will remove the channels?

It's a shame we can't use the 9000 channels and point them to other online services.

In the UK we could have links to the BBC iPlayer content right in the EPG!

Imagine that, real internet TV!
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:10 am

as some of the internet tv functionality is linked to zune podcasts i believe that part of the reason for it being removed may be due to the fact that MS is killing off the zune software and moving to the new xbox music and video software. i dont know how much longer the zune podcast section will be up after the transition is complete. Rather than have a half crippled internet tv app they decided to kill it. like everyone else i hardly used it anyway as it was mostly clips and adds.. it still sucks to see more removed from MC.

Danno100

Post by Danno100 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:30 pm

I hate to see anything removed but the bigger issue is what is being added, and in that regard, even Windows 8 seems to add virtually nothing.

In Canada, although we have digital OTA, we still can't use it without hacking WMC. It is aimply pathetic that MS has removed this functionality from Canada and will not fix it after so many years.
Home Theater/Automation Enthusiast

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:03 am

I never found the Internet TV to be very useful. It was just a few short boring clips of shows last time I checked. (which was a long time ago)