Benefits to using XB360 compared to HTPC directly

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
choliscott

HTPC Specs: Show details

Benefits to using XB360 compared to HTPC directly

Post by choliscott » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi Everyone,

I picked up a XB360 on a whim. I was wondering if there was any benefit to using an extender compared to using the HTPC directly (besides saving on the cost of the XB itself)

Thanks

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:32 pm

One of the major reasons I like the extender is the ability to have differing resolutions. I have my home theater which I want as high resolution as I can get, but then I have a couple of cheap TVs which are still only capable of 480. I know there are ways to do that with one computer, but there's allot of messing to get it right. The other awesome thing is being able to watch different content at the same time. Of course you can do that with multiple computers, but the 360 is a nice little set-top package that works do well.

makryger

Post by makryger » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:50 pm

Benefits to XBOX:
- Unless you've got a slim form factor mini ITX board, HTPCs look really bulky, and even if they look like home theater equipment, the shear size makes it seem like they don't fit into your AV setup.
- XBOX may be quieter than htpc, depending on your configuration
- XBOX can be used to play games
-fewer dependencies on graphics cards
-access to xbox live material

Benefits of HTPC:
- fewer dependencies on network
- XBOX cannot play all codecs. For example, htpc can get bluray
- desktop access- for web browsing, etc.
- better 3rd party software support
- better keyboard/remote support
-possibility to set up LEDSdriver recording light, Serial/IR tv control, etc.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:18 pm

Agreed on the XBox plugging into more TVs. I have a 1987 Panasonic that's still going strong, and the XBox plugs right in (well, via a Philips converter--this TV has only RF in).

Go ahead, try to plug a modern HTPC into composite in on an old TV. good luck.

asm495

Post by asm495 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:57 am

I only use Xboxes to plug into the TVs. My "HTPC" is really a server which is hidden away in the garage. It has a system SSD and 5 large HDs for storage and all the tuner cards.

The only "issue" I have is that I need to be quite careful to ensure video files are in the right format for playback. Not a biggy and doesn't take long to do.

The WAF is much improved from when I used a HTPC connected to the TV. There would always be niggly problems and issues with it coming in and out of standby. Now I just leave the server HTPC on all the time and the Xboxes go on and off as required.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:18 am

I made the decision early on as I implemented things to leave the HTPC on all the time and never put it to sleep.

It's plugged directly into the TV.

So, it's not a matter of having to set it up as a server in the closet and using only XBox to connect to TVs. It's a matter of, if you're using Windows as your DVR, then stop trying to make it "turn off and on" like an appliance. It doesn't play well that way.

DanH

Post by DanH » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:40 pm

I have chosen to use my HTPC also as my primary PC. I use Office apps, Visual Studio, SQL Server and lots of other programs on it. At the same time, it may be recording multiple channels in the background. I have done this since the earliest versions of Media Center. I always have a drive dedicated to recording/playback which separates the disk access from all of my other uses.

Connected to my TVs are DMA2100 and DMA2200 media center extenders. These are low-power devices that are always on and connected to the PC over the network. I use MOCA (ethernet over coax) to connect from the PC to the extenders over pre-existing TV-grade coax cables. This works great for my usage of the Media Center with HD OTA recorded programming.
Was Danh_HP_m376n

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:30 pm

I do put my htpc to sleep, and it works very well. It really depends on the motherboard, but W7 in general is better with regard to sleep, if you dont want to keep it on 24hrs/day.

although, I can't wake my computer from the internet, but I see that as a router issue, not a sleep issue.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:57 pm

Can I ask what your setup consists of (Processor, memory, etc) & what kinds of things you do on your computer that would be "intensive" I had thought about changing my setup to something like this, but not sure yet.
DanH wrote:I have chosen to use my HTPC also as my primary PC. I use Office apps, Visual Studio, SQL Server and lots of other programs on it. At the same time, it may be recording multiple channels in the background. I have done this since the earliest versions of Media Center. I always have a drive dedicated to recording/playback which separates the disk access from all of my other uses.

Connected to my TVs are DMA2100 and DMA2200 media center extenders. These are low-power devices that are always on and connected to the PC over the network. I use MOCA (ethernet over coax) to connect from the PC to the extenders over pre-existing TV-grade coax cables. This works great for my usage of the Media Center with HD OTA recorded programming.

Kustom Kid

Post by Kustom Kid » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:27 am

choliscott wrote:Can I ask what your setup consists of (Processor, memory, etc) & what kinds of things you do on your computer that would be "intensive" I had thought about changing my setup to something like this, but not sure yet.
DanH wrote:I have chosen to use my HTPC also as my primary PC. I use Office apps, Visual Studio, SQL Server and lots of other programs on it. At the same time, it may be recording multiple channels in the background. I have done this since the earliest versions of Media Center. I always have a drive dedicated to recording/playback which separates the disk access from all of my other uses.

I am also using my "main" PC as a HTPC server. I can do basic stuff like Word, Excel, web browsing or more intensive things like transcoding video or playing a game while recording multiple shows in HD without a problem. I've stress tested it for 10 minutes, probably not long enough, without a hitch. The stress test was recording 3 shows, watching live TV via 2 different Xbox 360s as extenders, streaming to a Sony Media Player via Serviio, and playing Track Mania through Steam.

Here's my setup:
Mobo: MSI 880G-E45
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 995 (@3.2GHz)
RAM: 12GB (Running at 1600)
Videocard: XFX Radeon HD 5770 (1GB DDR5)
OS Drive: Microcenter G2 SSD 64GB
Recording Drives: 2x Western Digital AV-GP 500GB
Storage Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB

Hope that helps.

On topic, I'll second the WAF using the Xbox 360. It's smaller, quieter, and looks like it belongs there. I could have gotten a nicer case and quieter components, but for the same money I bought a refurbished 360 Slim and everyone is happy.

brantmacga

Post by brantmacga » Tue May 15, 2012 2:45 am

makryger wrote:
Benefits of HTPC:
. . . . . .
- better keyboard/remote support

just wanted to add to this that you can use a wireless keyboard with the xbox.

i have a microsoft wireless desktop setup with the xbox in my living room. i have the wireless adapter plugged into a USB port on back of the xbox; it works great.

fventura03

Post by fventura03 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:13 am

I have both. I prefer the xbox 360 as it is cheaper compared to building an HTPC. but I've had issues with it disconnecting sometimes. Not sure if it's a PC issue or what.