Ceton Echo/Companion App Beta

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by adam1991 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:54 pm

...just like the email said.

(But maybe if we keep asking, "What's the scoop?" then magically more info will appear...)

Motz

Post by Motz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:23 am

adam1991 wrote:...just like the email said.

(But maybe if we keep asking, "What's the scoop?" then magically more info will appear...)

True if you never ask then you might never receive....
I Write, Code, and Tweet

hmmurdock

Post by hmmurdock » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Motz wrote:
hmmurdock wrote:Okay, so I got an email from Ceton last Sunday saying I had been selected for the Echo beta which is awesome. I did the confirmation process but haven't heard anything back yet. I'd love to get my mitts on an Echo or 3 to start testing... What's the scoop?

The confirmation process just let's us know that you are committed and still want to beta test it. We will be giving out more info to everyone that said yes late august/early september.
Thanks for the info Motz. Nice to know not everyone feels obligated to reply with sarcasm. If you have the info available to share, can you tell us if the MoCa adapters will be available during the beta too?

EmirOfGroofunkistan

Post by EmirOfGroofunkistan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:19 am

so, the price seems a bit steep for the beta of a media center extender. Has anyone been put off by that or is everyone just going all in on the echo beta?

STC

Post by STC » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:22 am

I believe the participants will be people who already want one. The beta offer allows you to own an Echo a few months earlier then anyone else at release price.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

EmirOfGroofunkistan

Post by EmirOfGroofunkistan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:33 pm

Does anyone know how the MoCA will work with the echo? Will the echo have it's own adapter built in?

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:11 am

EmirOfGroofunkistan wrote:Does anyone know how the MoCA will work with the echo? Will the echo have it's own adapter built in?
I recall reading that there would be either moca or standard adapters which would be interchangable. That's about all I "know". Regarding your other comment, I'm all in and dont think the beta price is unreasonable. Yes it is more than some other devices, but I will be happy to have one to replace my 2100 in my bedroom with better features and better playback. For me it is worth it.
Greg

EmirOfGroofunkistan

Post by EmirOfGroofunkistan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:26 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was trying to decide whether that price was worth it compared to using something like an xbox or waiting a short time after launch to see if the price falls. But, if they include something that prevents me from having to buy an additional MoCA adapter (I don't have media center/extender set up where I plan to put the echo - and I currently only have wireless access unless I buy a new MoCa adapter for this location - they aren't cheap.) then this is completely worth it for me. Plus, in the end, I really like to play around with things like this.

epete

Post by epete » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:00 pm

gpatlanta wrote:
EmirOfGroofunkistan wrote:Does anyone know how the MoCA will work with the echo? Will the echo have it's own adapter built in?
I recall reading that there would be either moca or standard adapters which would be interchangable. That's about all I "know". Regarding your other comment, I'm all in and dont think the beta price is unreasonable. Yes it is more than some other devices, but I will be happy to have one to replace my 2100 in my bedroom with better features and better playback. For me it is worth it.
Did I read earlier that the cost to Beta customers was the same as initial release price ($179)? That is cheaper than what I paid for my Linksys extenders. Not sure that you need to justify the cost. Also wondering if Beta testers were allowed to purchase as many as they needed or if they were limited to one.

MSattler

Post by MSattler » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:13 am

How does MOCA work? Do I need a MOCA adapter on my main HTPC, or can the Moca adapter on the Echo get an IP from my Verizon Fios router, like the STB's do?