Alphas on Syfy

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
btracy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Alphas on Syfy

Post by btracy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:10 am

Ok this really is related to TV tuners. :)

Has anyone here happened to have recorded Alphas on Syfy last Monday or this Monday? Both times (also at 11PM on the reshowing), the copy-never flag was applied to the broadcast so I couldn't record it. I have been in contact with Charter and they are saying that it is Syfy marking the show as copy-never. I don't know if I believe them at this point so I am looking for anyone who successfully recorded the show in the last two weeks with either a HDHR Prime or a Ceton Infinitv.

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:41 am

I got it. Charter in wi. Hdhr prime

btracy

Post by btracy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:57 am

sccrgoalie1 wrote:I got it. Charter in wi. Hdhr prime
Thanks sccrgoalie1. That is what I expected to find where others could record it and it was a local problem in my area. Did you happen to record it on the first showing?

Here is the part I don't get though. After I posted this thread, I found this one on the official Syfy boards showing others having this same issue with Alphas only all who use different networks (Dish, Charter, Cox, Time Warner): http://forums.syfy.com/index.php?showtopic=2360743

So now I don't see how it isn't a Syfy issue and Charter was right all along.... much less do I get how you got a different flag if it was truly Syfy setting the flag (unless local providers can override it but I would think that would be prohibited)

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Syfy may use a number of things in its broadcast to set "copy never" flag (CGMS-A is probably most often) however a cablecard tuner looks at the cci byte and if it is set to copy once or copy freely, it will override other protections. However, some cable companies don't set cci on some channels (often they are not set on just the clear qam ones) and then you have the other problem of cablecard tuners being required to obey all other forms of protection when cci isn't present that in theory could be ignored by a clear qam tuner (just usually not by media center).