Network cable coupler

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Network cable coupler

Post by newfiend » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:02 pm

Ok.. So I am getting different answers depending on whom I ask.. So I'll post here and see if I can get a definitive answer. I ran cat6 for my network. I need to connect two cat6 cables together with a coupler. They have cat5e couplers and cat6 couplers.. Is there really a difference since it's just connecting two RJ45 plugs together? I was told that I wouldn't get the rated cat6 speeds using a cat5e coupler.
newfiend~

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:04 pm

You should be fine running gigabit through a cat5e coupler and cat6 cable.
Any coupler introduces cross talk on the pairs but it's minimal. You may affect the max throughput but again it would be a minute difference.

I use cheapo ones from ebay only rated to 100Mb (I think because they are old stock made when gigabit wasn't a standard yet) and can run gig through them no problem.

By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:05 pm

I used these in my wall plates. They're cheap, why not just buy the Cat6 ones? Cat5e should work theoretically. A lot of Cat5e cables will work at Cat6 speeds.

http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/key ... =326-220WH

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:45 pm

I have a cat6 coupler coming in the mail.. I ordered a 50' cat6, a cat six coupler and some cable clamps.. Everything showed up in the mail except the coupler. All they have in my area are cat5e couplers and I have to get it connected so he kids can watch tv. (driving mom nuts) LOL I got a cat5e coupler for a temp fix till the cat6 arrives. Thanks for the input guys!

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:55 pm

I will say that I once ordered a Cat6 cable (by accident) and I tried a Cat5e coupler. For some reason, it was an extremely tight fit. I had to almost force the cable into the coupler, but after that, it worked fine. This could be completely a manufacturer's defect, as it sounds like there shouldn't theoretically be a difference, but that was my one experience.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:12 pm

So would that fall under the "if it jams force it.. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway" rule?
Haha.. :)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:13 pm

Cat5e will handle gigabit speeds just fine. If you're not running faster than gigabit LAN, Cat5e will do the job with no loss in speed. It is also fine to use a combination of Cat6 and Cat5e. The combination will perform at the data rate of the weakest link which, in this case, would be the Cat5e coupler. Since you are probably not running faster than gigabit speeds, this will suffice.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:05 pm

Thanks .. Ran a test last night and both extenders have the meter pegged all the way through HDTV and only occasionally dropped down one bar..its the best connection I have ever had using my power line networking adapters. Much better results than before, I have a cat6 coupler on the way but who knows were it is?? It should have been here by now.. Guess I need to contact amazon.com..

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:52 pm

So as well as the coupler you are running the connection through a powerline pair of adapters?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:22 am

Yup..and believe it or not the network meter on both extenders is maxed out at full HDTV now. Been using them for 2 days w/o issue so far..used to get intermittent network error messages. Haven't seen one yet.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:54 am

newfiend wrote:Yup..and believe it or not the network meter on both extenders is maxed out at full HDTV now. Been using them for 2 days w/o issue so far..used to get intermittent network error messages. Haven't seen one yet.

My understanding is that any coupler like this technically violates Cat6 specs by having too much cable untwisted, but it will probably work fine.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:03 pm

You can mess with Cat5 and its more recent cousins more than one would think. In fact, you can certify a Cat5 cable with a Cat5e or Cat6 tester and still qualify the cable most of the time. You have to beat on a cable run pretty hard for it not to certify; length is always the worst culprit, especially when coupled or untwisted too far. In short runs, your cables will almost always suffice.