New User, New Build, Need FM Tuner Recommendation

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
chipmonger

HTPC Specs: Show details

New User, New Build, Need FM Tuner Recommendation

Post by chipmonger » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:42 am

Putting the final touches on migrating off Directv to a Windows 7 MC solution with multiple DMA2100/2200 extenders. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, with 16 GB RAM, 6 core CPU, 120 GB SSD for OS and 250 GB HD for recorded tv. I've got two NICs, one to the home network with the extenders, and the other to two HD Homerun Primes. I have a NAS I'm using right now to store movies, etc. Comcast has the Cablecards installed in the Primes, but only one has the right subscription - waiting on a call back tomorrow.

Anyway, I had a spare PVR 150 card I wanted to use for an FM tuner (have MC Shoutcast installed as well), and had the driver load properly so the device shows in Device Manager. Unfortunately, I'm just getting static when using the tuner in Media Center - even with the external antenna I put in the attic and ran down to the PC. Am I having problems due to a bad card; if so, can someone recommend a replace card to use? I'm interested just in FM - but understand it's going to have to be a TV/FM tuner. Would a Tv Wonder HD 650 USB work?

Thanks,

Ken

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:10 pm

I have two tuners that are both able to receive FM. One is a Hauppauge HVR-2250, and one is an ASUS (that is really just a re-branded Hauppauge HVR-1850). Both work fine.

chipmonger

Post by chipmonger » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:18 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I have two tuners that are both able to receive FM. One is a Hauppauge HVR-2250, and one is an ASUS (that is really just a re-branded Hauppauge HVR-1850). Both work fine.

Thanks for the input. I pulled the original card out and ended up winning a Tv Wonder HD 650 USB on ebay. Hopefully, that'll do the trick.