Microsoft launching Windows 8 October 26th - New & Upgrade

JazJon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Microsoft launching Windows 8 October 26th - New & Upgrade

Post by JazJon » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:45 pm

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/18/micr ... confirmed/

"The title says it all, folks -- Microsoft's newest operating system will hit the masses starting on October 26th, nearly three years to the day after the launch of Windows 7. Just days after the company previewed Office 2013, we're now told that Steven Sinofsky has affirmed the date at MS's annual sales meeting, but it's not clear if that's a global date or one reserved for the US market. Customers will be able to grab Win8 as an upgrade or in new, unmolested form on that date, and you can bet we'll have a review out to coincide. For now, our in-depth look of the Release Preview will have to tide you over."

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Windows 8 wouldn't work for my htpc. I tried to like it but it didn't work for me. Time will tell if the masses will like it or not.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:36 am

Yup, I'm in no rush. For one, the pooling solution DriveSpaces is not even very good according to this:
http://helgeklein.com/blog/2012/03/wind ... ign-flaws/

I'm going to stick with 3rd party disk poolingSolutions. I was using WHS 2011 and DrivePool, but I'm switching things soon so all my drives are directly connected to my HTPC. I'm going to pick either FlexRaid or DriveBender. (DrivePool for regular Windows beta should be out by the end of the year)

But getting back to Windows 8 itself for a Media Center HTPC..... Well until I hear all plug-ins work, (MyChannelLogos don't yet, some locked files) and Extenders are confirmed working flawless via My Movies plug-in etc, I might try it.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:17 am

it'll be going on my laptop / test machine as soon as its out. but it'll be a long time before i think about putting it on my main htpc. I actually doubt i'll ever use MC in windows 8, waiting for dvblink to produce their version