Regular Hauppauge USB Tuner Failures

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
Freddysocram

HTPC Specs: Show details

Regular Hauppauge USB Tuner Failures

Post by Freddysocram » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:07 pm

Hello! Any suggestions welcome, this is so annoying!

Recently my Hauppaug WinTV duet USB tuner has started behaving strangely. It has been working perfectly on my laptop with windows 7 media centre for months. The laptop is used for anything else except for media center so I haven’t installed anything new recently.

The Symptoms:

Schedule recordings only record for 1-10 mins before the tuner fails.

Live TV fails, after 10-20 mins, the tuner "ejects"(windows makes the USB eject noise) and the tuner fails.(no tuner available to satisfy request).

The tuner usually “reconnects' after 3-10mins but fails again.

I am at a loss and am starting to think its a hardware fault, I have updated Windows and drivers tried, system restore, no difference.

Anyone ever encountered this before?

Thanks

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:14 pm

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/14 ... n-off.html
While this could be a number of things..
I would check a few things.. Start with the link above and make sure USB selective suspend is OFF. See if that fixes it first.
Does the laptop have the latest Bios? Have you made any Bios changes recently? If so try reverting back to original settings.
Updated any Drivers for your hardware recently that may have caused this issue (Drivers?). If not look and see if there are updated drivers or Bios for the laptop that fix issues with USB devices. Check for updated Drivers for the Hauppauge Tuner. Install any updates you find.
It could be a faulty Tuner connector (USB) or USB port on the laprop. Have you tried moving the tuner to another USB Port on the laptop or even another PC to see if the tuner fails on another PC?
It may take a bit of troubleshooting to determine exaclty where the problem is.
Good Luck,
newfiend~

Freddysocram

Post by Freddysocram » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Thanks for posting, interesting link thanks. USB selective suspent was set to on but tuner still fails when set to off, bummer cos I though you may have it there.

Windows and tuner drivers are up to date, never updated the bios but will investigate. Tryed the tuner in other port(only has two) and is the same, no other device ejects. Tryed the tuner on an old machine which wasn't a fair test cos the system is not used because its unstable,it did work until the system crashed, this could be the tuner or my failing amd2700. I thinks its probably the tuner as it doesn't seem to be a common windows problem from searching google.

Thinks for your help!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:57 pm

If you had a bad USB port on the Laptop you would get intermitant disconnects most likely with any USB device.. Tv Tuner, USB Flash Drive etc.. If no other USB devices are intermitantly disconnecting (you can tell if it disconnects as you will get the sound through your speakers you hear when disconnecting USB devices) then the problem is most likely the Tuner and not the USB port on the laptop itself. Have a friend with a PC you can test on just to be sure? I would probably put my money on the tuner but I would still test it on a known good PC just to be sure.
newfiend~

Freddysocram

Post by Freddysocram » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:39 pm

Well, it would appear that I have fix it! It turns out it was a hardware fault.

The usb tuner came with a short USB extension lead to help raise the tuner away from the machine as it blocks the other USB ports. I tryed the tuner connected direct to the laptop, and bingo! Hey presto! It's now recording shows and hasn't dropped out yet!

Whilst I'm annoyed at myself for not trying this sooner I'm glad I found the answer!

Thanks for your advice again!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:48 pm

Freddysocram wrote:Well, it would appear that I have fix it! It turns out it was a hardware fault.

The usb tuner came with a short USB extension lead to help raise the tuner away from the machine as it blocks the other USB ports. I tryed the tuner connected direct to the laptop, and bingo! Hey presto! It's now recording shows and hasn't dropped out yet!

Whilst I'm annoyed at myself for not trying this sooner I'm glad I found the answer!

Thanks for your advice again!
good news. glad you got it sorted.
newfiend~