loud music very low voice on one broadcast???

provlima

HTPC Specs: Show details

loud music very low voice on one broadcast???

Post by provlima » Wed May 02, 2012 11:38 pm

I am having a strange problem with audio using WMC7
It appears that there are two audio channels carrying the sound. The problem has been consistent when listening to the NBC nightly broadcast with Brian Williams.
His voice is very low while the background lead in music is loud. When a news segment ends the background music transitioning to the commercial is loud as is the commercial. It does not affect normal cable TV viewing on the other TV sets in my home
So far its only affecting affecting that NBC broadcast
Any suggestions as to what might be causing this audio problem??

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:56 pm

It sounds to me like you are hearing just the front left and front right channels of a Dolby Digital soundtrack. Do you have this problem with that broadcast on all TVs? If so, I would suspect the cable company or local NBC affiliate. If it's only on the HTPC, it's likely an issue with your audio chain and/or audio settings.

robnitro

Post by robnitro » Thu May 10, 2012 2:28 am

If you are running just 2 speakers from the PC, make sure that the sound driver and windows speaker settings are set to 2 channels. If not, the AC3 will be decoded assuming you have a center channel (which you may not have). Usually on music they use the side speakers, but for movies/broadcasts, the center channel carries voice.