Board/cpu replacement

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
choliscott

HTPC Specs: Show details

Board/cpu replacement

Post by choliscott » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:45 am

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of upgrading the computer my son uses, as he's wanting to start playing some more graphic intense games. The reason I am mentioning "upgrade" to my HTPC, is because I am trying to decide, if I should leave my HTPC setup alone & strictly upgrade the setup he uses or buy something cheap to replace in my HTPC & move my current MB & cpu to his setup.

HTPC has a AMD 1090-T & Asus M5A88-V Evo Son's setup has a AMD X4 635

Overall I am trying to go with the cheapest route. Currently in my HTPC, I have 3 extenders connected, & it currently runs Comskip in the background & other media is served off of another machine. However I was thinking about running Media Buddy in the background & possibly moving my media to the same machine.

Based on what I mentioned what I do with my HTPC setup, is there a cheap cpu & motherboard that would serve my needs, that would cheaper then buying a board & cpu strictly as a replacement for my son's setup?

I had thought about getting a FX 4100 or 6100 & a cheap $60 board to put in my son's setup.

Thanks

CyberSimian

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by CyberSimian » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:46 am

choliscott wrote:The reason I am mentioning "upgrade" to my HTPC, is because I am trying to decide, if I should leave my HTPC setup alone & strictly upgrade the setup he uses or buy something cheap to replace in my HTPC & move my current MB & cpu to his setup.
One of the depressing aspects of using Windows Media Center (and PCs in general) is that it is not possible to predict whether any particular combination of components will work together satisfactorily.

When I first set up my HTPC, I tried TV tuner cards from three different manufacturers, none of which worked correctly with sleep mode on my system. It was not until I tried tuner cards from a fourth manufacturer (Pinnacle) that I found cards that worked correctly (and have done so for the past two years).

Recently, high-definition Freeview TV arrived at my location in the UK, and I have been updating components with the objective of being able to receive high-def TV on Media Center, and guess what -- the components do not work correctly in sleep mode(!!!). This is giving me hours of endless fun trying to arrive at a solution that will work.

So my advice to you with regard to your HTPC is: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK