TV tuners won't wake up

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
richard1980

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by richard1980 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:21 pm

Try this: Make a backup copy of C:\Windows\System32\Tasks. Then go into task scheduler and delete the corrupted tasks. Windows or WMC should re-create the tasks (you may have to restart WMC and/or the machine, I can't remember which).

ael_lel

Post by ael_lel » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:04 am

richard1980 wrote:Try this: Make a backup copy of C:\Windows\System32\Tasks. Then go into task scheduler and delete the corrupted tasks. Windows or WMC should re-create the tasks (you may have to restart WMC and/or the machine, I can't remember which).
I’m not sure how to find the corrupted tasks. When I first went into task scheduler just now, I didn't actually see any tasks to delete. I clicked on all the folders in the left pane, but none had any tasks.

Then, I closed task scheduler and went back in and there are tasks in the folders now, but I’m not sure which ones to delete.

When I click on the Media Center folder, I get the 3 popup corruption messages for Task StartRecording, Task RecordingRestart, and Task mcupdate_scheduled. However, I don't see any of those tasks listed in the middle pane.

Can you please tell me where to find the corrupt tasks?

Thanks
Last edited by ael_lel on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:43 am

You should either get an error message or you should see something wrong in the column labeled "Last run result". You can also check the history tab of each task.

ael_lel

Post by ael_lel » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:51 am

When I click on the Media Center folder, I get the 3 popup corruption messages for Task StartRecording, Task RecordingRestart, and Task mcupdate_scheduled. However, I don't see any of those tasks listed in the middle pane.

All of the items in Last Run Result column say operation completed successfully. However, as I said, I don't see the names of the corrupt tasks. I'm looking in the Media Center folder. Should I be looking somewhere else?

ael_lel

Post by ael_lel » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:09 am

I wanted to mention that in the C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center folder, I see the tasks that are mentioned in the errors (RecordingRestart, StartRecording, mcupdate_scheduled). They all have the date modified as 3/21/12

If I delete them here will they be recreated?

Also, I looked up Media Center Recovery Task and found a post about another problem that said if you run this “you will lose all scheduled recordings and have to re-do those …Media Center will be reset to as shipped and you can go through express set-up...”

Do you know anything about this? Do you think it would fix the corrupted tasks?

Thanks

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:30 am

I'm not sure if you can simply delete them in the Task Scheduler. Everything I read says to delete them manually from the registry and from the file system (using Windows Registry Editor and Windows Explorer). As I wrote earlier, I've never encountered this error... so I don't know if Media Center will magically re-create these tasks for you... or if you will need to manually re-create them.

I agree with Newfiend... you may have other problems down the road unless you do a re-install of Windows. You can try deleting them... and try getting back into Media Center to see if it magically creates new tasks. There's no harm in trying. Then, if it doesn't work... a re-install of Windows is in your future.

I can only be certain of one thing... I would never go back to that computer "repair" guy again. If you had specific files or types of files that you wanted restored... and you told this computer guru which files to recover... then he should have ONLY recovered the files you wanted. I strongly suspect that he ran some software that recovered every file that has ever been deleted on your system (those that were still possible to recover)... and this caused problems for Media Center as it will delete scheduled tasks (recordings) after they have been executed. So, those deleted tasks got "recovered" and Windows knows that they should not be in the task scheduler anymore, but does not know how to deal with this error.

As previously stated by Newfiend... backups are your friend. Use them in the future. I can't tell you how many friends of mine (or their kids) have messed up their computers to the point of no return. I HATE, HATE, HATE!!! re-installing Windows for friends... and I have setup a backup on every one of my friends' computers now... so I will never need to re-install their operating system again. Restore and done. Minutes instead of hours.

ael_lel

Post by ael_lel » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:53 am

barnabas1969 wrote:I'm not sure if you can simply delete them in the Task Scheduler. Everything I read says to delete them manually from the registry and from the file system (using Windows Registry Editor and Windows Explorer).
How do I find the corrupt files in the task scheduler and the registry? I don't see them listed in either. I tried searching the registry for record, media, etc. but got nothing.

I really need to avoid reinstalling Windows if at all possible. There are programs on my computer I no longer have the disks for and I don't want to lose them.

Also, the files he restored were put onto an external drive, not restored back to the hard drive so I'm not sure how this problem happened. Thanks

ael_lel

Post by ael_lel » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:03 am

IF I ultimately end up reinstalling Windows, what's the best way to backup ALL my files? Do I have to drag them all to a new drive or is there a way to copy everything on the hard drive at once?

Again, I really don't want to have to do this.

Thanks

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:03 am

You should be able to just delete the tasks and import them from a known-good machine - I don't know about them getting re-created automatically (not saying it's wrong, but I've never tried that)
WMC tasks live in Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:06 am

Here's what I searched for with Google:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=The+task+image+is+ ... pered+with

There are several posts that describe how to delete the registry entries and how to delete the files. I'm not sure this is the best thing to do (deleting the files and registry entries). To be safe, I would recommend copying the files somewhere else before deleting them... and exporting the registry entries before deleting them. Also, make sure to backup your registry before making ANY changes via the Windows Registry Editor. This is especially important if you are a novice and don't really know what you're doing in the Windows Registry database.

ael_lel

Post by ael_lel » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:57 am

erkotz wrote:You should be able to just delete the tasks and import them from a known-good machine - I don't know about them getting re-created automatically (not saying it's wrong, but I've never tried that)
WMC tasks live in Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center
This is the where I'm looking in Task Sch. However, I don't see the corrupt tasks. The only place I can find them is in Windows Explorer in the C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center folder. Here I see the tasks that are mentioned in the errors (RecordingRestart, StartRecording, mcupdate_scheduled). They all have the date modified as 3/21/12. However, I don't know about deleting them from here.

When you say import from a known-good machine, does the machine have to have a tuner card? The only other Win7 computer I have is my laptop. Will the tasks be there to export/import? Thanks

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:49 pm

I don't believe the PC needs to have a tuner card. You may want to move the corrupt tasks out of the task folder before attempting to import the replacements
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

ael_lel

Post by ael_lel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:05 am

Okay here’s an update of what I did this morning and it seems to have worked!

I deleted the 3 files from C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center (RecordingRestart, StartRecording, mcupdate_scheduled). Then, I exported them from the Task Scheduler on the laptop and imported them to the desktop PC.

At first, it didn’t seem to work because the recording I scheduled after leaving the computer idle for a while still didn’t start until I came back to the computer and moved the mouse. However, I had noticed when I was importing it that there was a check box that was not checked that said Run with highest privileges, so I went back to TS and checked that. I don’t know if that actually had anything to do with it, but the next recording seemed to work okay and when I got home it looks like everything else recorded okay.

Thanks so much to everyone for all your help! I really appreciate it.

I do have ONE LAST (hopefully) QUESTION, what's the best way to backup ALL my files? Do I have to drag them all to a new drive or is there a way to copy everything on the hard drive at once?

Thanks again.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:54 pm

You can use Windows Backup to backup your files. It allows you to backup to a second hard drive (internal or external), to a shared drive on another computer on the network, or even to writable media like DVD's.

Press your Start button, and type the word "backup" without the quotes. Then, click "Backup and Restore".

fwupow

Post by fwupow » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:45 am

I'm having roughly the same problem.

My Win7 Home Premium 64bit comes out of hybernation and it seems that the entire TV Tuner Device goes missing. After restarting my PC; "Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 (8851)" reappears under "Sound, video and game controllers" in Device Manager.

Very odd. Also very odd is that I can't find any Hyberfil.sys file which I thought Win7 used to save the System Snapshot for hybernation purposes. Perhaps lack of available space on my boot-drive is responsible for this? I can't find any way to tell Win7 to use a different drive for this file.

There are no "Power Management" settings for the Hauppauge device but it seems to be the only device that flat farts itself into non-existence upon wake-up from traditional hybernation. I have "Hybrid Sleep" disabled because when that was enabled, my PC woke up more often for unknown reasons. The TV tuner card should wake up along with everything else when coming out of hybernation.

fwupow

Post by fwupow » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:12 pm

Looks like I solved my own problem. I had recently disabled my LAN Controller in the MoBo BIOS settings and apparently this led to trouble with either the BIOS or Windows finding the device (The Hauppage TV card not the LAN controller which I expected to disappear) upon wake-up from hybernation.

I also found my hyberfil.sys file in the root of my Boot Drive. I had the "Hide Protected Operating System Files" checked in Folder Options and didn't realize it. I thought I was seeing everything but wasn't. I turned off Virtual Memory for my SSD Boot Drive and restarted which got rid of the 8-GB PageFile.sys and then I found a MONSTROUS 27-GB folder named "FOUND.0001" which apparently was full of file fragments that Windows had at some time in the past (probably on my old HDD) collected while running CheckDisk. I deleted that and put my C-drive back in the blue with 42.0 GB free of 107 GB. Before that I was down to less than 10GB free.

Oh well. There are good days and bad days. Nice to have a good PC problem solving day sometimes.