Strange issues with EPG123 1.7.1

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
MKANET

HTPC Specs: Show details

Strange issues with EPG123 1.7.1

Post by MKANET » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:16 pm

After I upgraded to EPG123 1.7.1, EPG123 switched the setting "Use linked images from Schedules Direct" --> "Use local images from .\logos folder."

If I manually change the setting back to use linked images from Schedules Direct and hit "Save", "Exit"... then open "Configuration GUI" from the EPG123 tray app, the setting reverts back to "Use local images from .\logos folder".

I also have another issue.. however, I've had this second issue since I first installed EPG123...
I noticed that EPG123 tray tool always stays in Blue color with "Downloading 13/13" (or something like that) indefinitely after each scheduled download. I've never seen it change to a Gray color icon on its own; even after hours after the scheduled daily download. I tried checking trace.log as best I could; however, I didn't see anything obvious that could be wrong.

I think these issues may have something to do with me not getting several of my posters downloaded.

The only thing unusual about my installation is that I pointed the EPG123 installer to C:\Program Files (x86)\IPTV\epg123 when asked where to install it. However, the configuration files and downloaded data are under: C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2.

What can I do to resolve these issues besides deleting my entire configuration, uninstalling EPG123, then doing everything by scratch? I only want to do that if absolutely necessary.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:35 pm

If you are running EPG123 in server mode only, then the tray icon will stay blue waiting on the mxf file to be imported into WMC. It is supposed to timeout at some point though and would go back to grey or red. Reinstall EPG123 with Client Only files and the notification tray program will be removed.

I will check on the XMLTV logos setting. There is probably something I missed when I changed code to support a portable version or when I added the http proxy service.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

MKANET

Post by MKANET » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:55 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm a bit embarrassed for asking.... but I'm not sure if i want to use/install server only or cliient only mode if I want a minimal install. I just need EPG123 to create an xmltv file for all my lineups as well as download all respective images. What installer and installer options should I choose? Is running EPG123 as a Windows service even necessary/useful in my case? If not, is there an installer option to select so it will run without a service?

UPDATE: I just went over the Setup Guide. It looks like I want to install "Server Only" install. However, I didn't see any options to run it without Windows service mode. I'm not sure if executing it NOT as a Windows service would make any difference. I currently use 4 relatively large lineups.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:47 am

EPG123 does not download images unless you have the service running and cache enabled. The service is there, and somewhat needed depending on your usage, due to the image links being redirected to a temporary time-limited url. This can be problematic for some xmltv consuming appliances that will end up requesting a download of the image every time it is to be viewed and you can run into the maximum image download limit by Schedules Direct (5000/24 hours).

If you only want the absolute minimum, no service, no tray app, just an xmltv generator, then you should uninstall EPG123, download the portable version, and only extract epg123.exe, epg123.exe.config, and Newtonsoft.Json.dll. The resulting xmltv image links will all be pointed directly to the SD servers.

Speaking of, I found the issue with the xmltv channel logo option in the configuration GUI. The problem is with the GUI when it opens and not when it saves. So if you select the option to use linked images and save, that is how it will create the xmltv file. If you open the configuration GUI, even though it is configured for linked images, the GUI will change it to the local images. The fix will be in next release.
- Gary

MKANET

Post by MKANET » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:07 am

Hi Gary, if I want my xmltv consuming appliances to download posters/logos from EPG123's local cache instead of trying to download posters directly from SD.. what specific setting do I need to enable? I thought that "Use local images from .\logos folder." setting would do this; however, I'm not sure. Also, if I run EPG123 NOT as a Windows service, would I lose the ability for XMLTV consuming appliances to download from EPG123's cache instead of directly from SD?

Lastly, if I'm not using EPG123 as a Windows service, can I still use the Configuration GUI to enable the Windows scheduler to schedule downloads each day?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:30 am

The 'Use local images from .\logos folder' is only for the station logos, that is why it is a sub-option to 'Include channel logos'. If you want epg123 to cache poster images and provide them to all your devices, you will have to use the installer and run the service. The service's only job is to listen for those http image requests and either provide the cached image, or download the image from SD and then provide the newly cached image. If the service is not running, then you won't get any images. There is no way for your computer to provide those cached images without something running to receive and process the request... hence the service. Also, to actually cache images and not just be a proxy service, you will have to enable the option in the 'Service' tab.

The important part to understand is the image links in the xmltv will be directed to either the service or directly to SD. There is no "if not this" then "that". When creating the xmltv, if the service is installed then all image links will point to that computer (service) on port 9009. If the service is not installed, all image links are pointed directly to the Schedules Direct servers.

Yes, running epg123 without the service (portable version) is no issue. It will function just like all versions prior to 1.7.x.x when I created the service. I think what you are missing here is that the service is a separate executable from the server/client executables and has nothing to do with downloading guide listings or importing into WMC. It is small, light weight, and has a singular purpose. It does nothing else but provide images to whatever requests them.
- Gary

MKANET

Post by MKANET » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:42 am

Wow, I really appreciate explaining how it works in detail. I'm glad I asked!!. Now, I have a much better understanding of how things work. It sounds like I definitely want the service mode enabled. I'll probably install EPG..1.7.0 until the next version is out.
garyan2 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:30 am The 'Use local images from .\logos folder' is only for the station logos, that is why it is a sub-option to 'Include channel logos'. If you want epg123 to cache poster images and provide them to all your devices, you will have to use the installer and run the service. The service's only job is to listen for those http image requests and either provide the cached image, or download the image from SD and then provide the newly cached image. If the service is not running, then you won't get any images. There is no way for your computer to provide those cached images without something running to receive and process the request... hence the service. Also, to actually cache images and not just be a proxy service, you will have to enable the option in the 'Service' tab.

The important part to understand is the image links in the xmltv will be directed to either the service or directly to SD. There is no "if not this" then "that". When creating the xmltv, if the service is installed then all image links will point to that computer (service) on port 9009. If the service is not installed, all image links are pointed directly to the Schedules Direct servers.

Yes, running epg123 without the service (portable version) is no issue. It will function just like all versions prior to 1.7.x.x when I created the service. I think what you are missing here is that the service is a separate executable from the server/client executables and has nothing to do with downloading guide listings or importing into WMC. It is small, light weight, and has a singular purpose. It does nothing else but provide images to whatever requests them.

MKANET

Post by MKANET » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:23 am

Gary, I just installed v.1.7.1.0 (to avoid the issue with the interface not displaying the setting(s) correctly). It is still not displaying the correct settings from the configuration file upon startup. Every time I change the setting to "Use linked images from Schedules Direct". After I exit and load it again, it displays the wrong setting again. What's the trick to get it to display the correct setting? I'm certain I'm using v.1.7.1.0. I can't remember the version I was using before I upgraded to 1.7.1.1.

EDIT: I'm using the same configuration file I've been using with 1.7.1.1

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:36 am

The fix will be in the next release (1.7.1.3). Right now, just trust that when you have it set to use linked files and click save, when it runs an update it will use the linked images. It is only when you open the GUI that it will show using locals. It will only change to using locals if you keep it checked and click save.
- Gary

MKANET

Post by MKANET » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:15 am

garyan2 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:36 am The fix will be in the next release (1.7.1.3). Right now, just trust that when you have it set to use linked files and click save, when it runs an update it will use the linked images. It is only when you open the GUI that it will show using locals. It will only change to using locals if you keep it checked and click save.
I appreciate it. I''ll look for the next version. Do you know which settings I can trust are correct upon startup currently? Or, is it only this specific one that isn't displayed correctly? I'd like to verify all my settings before the scheduled download. I tried verifying the settings in epg123.cfg; however, some of them I can't match up with the GUI.

For example, I'm not sure which settings in the GUI are related to the below. The series poster art is enabled in the GUI; but disabled in the config file.

Code: Select all

<AutoImport>false</AutoImport>
  <Automatch>false</Automatch>
    <SeriesPosterArt>false</SeriesPosterArt>

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:40 am

It is only that one.

The SeriesPosterArt is the setting to have 2x3 posters for your series instead of 4x3 or 16x9. This was named prior to having the option of 16x9 or I would have probably called it something else.

EDIT:
Sorry, to identify the others:
AutoImport is just to store what you selected for you scheduled task to automatically import into WMC after download.
Automatch is to automatically map the guide listings to the tuner channels after imort into WMC.
- Gary

jdtayloruk

Post by jdtayloruk » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:59 pm

I’m getting missing file / program can’t continue error. Is this a new bug. I will try and upload screenshots later.

jdtayloruk

Post by jdtayloruk » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:59 pm

I’m getting missing file / program can’t continue error. Is this a new bug. I will try and upload screenshots later.