Win 7 Home Premium Update Surprise

sgbroimp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Win 7 Home Premium Update Surprise

Post by sgbroimp » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:02 am

I just got a windows 7 update. Thought there were no more! I had (fully) shut down the HTPC for 10 minutes or so and when I started it again I see this update pushing through. It is now showing configuring update 100% with spinning wheel for 15 minutes, but the message warns not not to shut down the PC. (I even thought I had shut off the updates, too.) Anyone know what's up with this bit of strangeness?

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:54 pm

Turns out pati4nce is a virtue here. I went and did something else and the session finally finished so no hanging issue after all. Still don't know what kind of updates MS is pushing through, as i thought Win 7 updates service was all done in that regard.

cjsacksteder

Post by cjsacksteder » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:55 pm

My W7 system receives frequent updates for Microsoft Security Essentials (i.e., malware definitions) and occasionally for the Malicious Software Removal Tool. I believe this was what was announced at EOL. Nothing else except to optional updates around 9/2023 that I did not install and some older ones such as the one that reminds you the system is no longer supported.