Weak signal on satellite channels

Sega32bit

HTPC Specs: Show details

Weak signal on satellite channels

Post by Sega32bit » Wed May 10, 2023 10:10 am

Hi everyone

Just setting up uk freesat on wmc when scanning for channels on all known transponder frequencies i only seem to get about 8 channels, yet if i manually add the channels it will find them and play the stream but the signal only has 1 bar or strength, when I'm playing the channel every so often it will freeze and say signal weak / no signal i know my signal strength strong on all channels as i run media portal and never have any issue with signal problems and signal is up around 90%

Just wondering how to fix this issue.

Space

Post by Space » Wed May 10, 2023 9:48 pm

There is a registry setting that is a workaround to a WMC bug that reports weak signal even if the signal is fine. I have no idea if this is the issue you are having, but it doesn't hurt to apply the registry fix.

Sega32bit

Post by Sega32bit » Thu May 11, 2023 8:49 am

Space wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:48 pm There is a registry setting that is a workaround to a WMC bug that reports weak signal even if the signal is fine. I have no idea if this is the issue you are having, but it doesn't hurt to apply the registry fix.
I've put this in the wrong forum, I'm using the wmc standalone installer on windows 10 will this fix work for win 10?

Space

Post by Space » Thu May 11, 2023 10:49 pm

I don't know, but WMC on Win10 is the same WMC that is on win7/8 so it might.

Sega32bit

Post by Sega32bit » Fri May 12, 2023 7:26 pm

Ok well i put the reg fix in and so far so good, i just realised that because I'm running media portal as well i had epg grabbing on idle enabled which was set to grab epg from the same card every 30 mins, so if media portal is trying to access the same card it will interrupt live tv on media center throwing no signal screen, so disabled that, tempted to uninstall media portal now as i only used it for live tv, i much prefer wmc been using it for years to play my videos amd music makes sense to use the tv part of it especially now I've got it to work correctly.

Space

Post by Space » Fri May 12, 2023 9:41 pm

Please come back after you have verified that the problem has been resolved (and what resolved it) so others in your situation that see this thread will know.

Thanks!

Sega32bit

Post by Sega32bit » Tue May 16, 2023 10:23 am

Space wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:41 pm Please come back after you have verified that the problem has been resolved (and what resolved it) so others in your situation that see this thread will know.

Thanks!
Yea it was media portal creating the problem when collecting epg data it would interrupt the wmc signal and throw a no signal screen, ive completely uninstalled MP now and wmc has been runnjng a week now and not had a problem I've also done a full channel scan and it picks up ebery single freesat and sky channels.

I have epg collector automatically running once a day using a batch file and windows task scheduler with highest priority set, i set it to import epg daily at 22:00 just so see what it would do when wmc when running, it throws weak signal no signal screen, I've now set it grab epg at 5am.

So if you get these screens obviously check your dish and cable run then check that nothing is trying to acsess the tv card.