Subtitle issue

StinkyImp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Subtitle issue

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:36 pm

OTA major network recordings.

I've noticed recently that the subtitles work great until around the last 25% of the program. At that point it stops and then a few seconds later goes to ALL CAPS, is delayed by three to five seconds, and is hit and miss as far as accuracy. Restarting and changing the CC settings doesn't work.

It's not any one network, it happens across them all.

Has anyone else experienced this or know what I can check?

Hi-Def_PCs

Post by Hi-Def_PCs » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:09 am

What are your closed captioning settings and CC advanced options currently set at?

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:23 pm

Hi-Def_PCs wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:09 am What are your closed captioning settings and CC advanced options currently set at?
It only happens maybe once a week. The following workaround does the trick...
  1. Turn off CC
  2. Shut down WMC
  3. Go refill my drink
  4. Open WMC and go back to program
  5. Turn on CC
  6. Enjoy it until the following week... :D
Not only does the CC get knocked back into compliance, but it forces me to get off my lazy a$$ for a few minutes!

Hi-Def_PCs

Post by Hi-Def_PCs » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:24 pm

I fail to see a problem with your win-win solution either! :D

Sounds like you run CC all the time, not just for when muted? :?:

How often do you restart the computer? My sidebar CPU Meter III G5 shows too much memory consumption
after a day or two, so I restart it almost daily to keep the memory in check and the OS load fresh. Try that.

Cheers :thumbup:

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:18 pm

Hi-Def_PCs wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:24 pm Sounds like you run CC all the time, not just for when muted? :?:
I'm getting on in years so I use them 90% to 95% of the time.

Hi-Def_PCs wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:24 pm How often do you restart the computer? My sidebar CPU Meter III G5 shows too much memory consumption
after a day or two, so I restart it almost daily to keep the memory in check and the OS load fresh. Try that.
My system has been up for https://i.imgur.com/z4NBcAV.png

I only restart it when it needs it. I've been building and using computers since the mid 1990s and one of the things I like to do is see how long I can keep one running between reboots. :D

Hi-Def_PCs

Post by Hi-Def_PCs » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:06 pm

StinkyImp wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:18 pm I like to do is see how long I can keep one running between reboots. :D
I too have been messing with computers since Windows 3.0 and I trained in A+, MCP, MCSE Core back when Windows 2000 was current. Those credentials afforded me domain administrator rights in the state run prison print shop I was a production coordinator at. I observed after about two weeks, the network printers began to have errors and failures. My training taught me that computer operating systems degrade between boots, so I began restarting the server end-of-day each Friday as well as all the work stations. Those simplest of computer maintenance steps solved the network printer issues as well as many other routine problems that the other shops still experienced.

To this day i still restart my own machines at least weekly. Even my smart TV benefits from the occasional hard restart to solve issues. The LAN port on my Asus Prime B250M-A motherboard recently stopped working. So I shut down the computer and removed the power cord from its PSU. I held the on button in for 30 seconds to purge the capacitors, then restored power and turned on the computer. The LAN port was reanimated! An ODOT tech buddy of mine said they had a Linux server run 3 years from build to decommission, then he told me this joke. https://www.forwardjunction.com/2016/01 ... lines.html

Next time you have to restart your computer, do so again each week for 3 consecutive weeks.
I'll bet you dimes to dollars that the problem you described disappears by the second week.