How to View Browser TV Programs in WMC

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Sai Das

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to View Browser TV Programs in WMC

Post by Sai Das » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:43 pm

How can I watch programming that is viewable in my browser on my PC in WMC & XBMC? I tried to access an NBC web site TV program that I've watched on my PC, but it isn't even listed in WMC/Internet TV.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:06 pm

Have a look at secondrun TV here: http://www.secondrun.tv/
You can also add HULU by installing HULU Desktop software : http://www.hulu.com/labs/hulu-desktop and this plugin for WMC: http://huluwmc.teknowebworks.com/
newfiend~

Sai Das

Post by Sai Das » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:42 pm

Sounded perfect until I got here: "SecondRun.tv will work on extenders but only with content that is media based. Netflix content and flash based content (from sites like Hulu, etc...) will only work on the full Media Center experience and NOT on an extender. This is due to limitations in the way extenders handle flash based video through the extender interface."

Doesn't this mean it will work only on my WMC desktop and not XBMC?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:51 am

it will work on any htpc with wmc installed but not on an xbox in extender mode. XBMC is another media center like software\OS. http://xbmc.org/about/

Sai Das

Post by Sai Das » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:15 am

So no go for XBMC?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:36 am

Sai Das, if you want programming, check out PlayOn and vmcPlayIt.

The PlayOn software runs as a service on a PC on your network. This can be your Media Center PC ... or any other PC on your network.

Then, once PlayOn is running, vmcPlayIt works as a client for PlayOn... and it works on extenders too.

PlayOn has a free trial, but after that it costs $40 for the first year, then $20 each year after that.

vmcPlayIt is donation-ware (free). There is another program similar to vmcPlayIt named TubeCore. It basically does exactly what vmcPlayIt does... except that TubeCore isn't free... and there is support for TubeCore, where vmcPlayIt is not supported anymore.

Your PlayOn server will act as a DLNA server for any DLNA-compliant client device on your network (PS3, BluRay players, etc).

PlayOn comes pre-configured with NetFlix, Hulu, many of the TV networks, etc. You can also define your own "channels" in PlayOn... and there are literally hundreds of downloadable pre-configured "channels" that you can import into PlayOn.

Sai Das

Post by Sai Das » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:59 pm

I'll check out vmcPlayIt as I can't take on any more subscription fees...$40 here $30 all add up.

I just checked out your set-up and I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. I'm interested in knowing about the Zotac ZT-40601-20L Fanless as I'd like the best AV experience I can get around this price range; I don't PC game btw. How does this card improve your experience? I had a nice Zotac card w/fan but returned it after 1 minute of listening to how loud it was. Never!

My setup now is W7U64, MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) MOBO, Intel i5 2500k 3.3 GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB, GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3, Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad CableCARD tuner, Xbox extender. My home theater recently died so I will be getting a new one eventually. I currently have two 22" DVI monitors but may be adding a 27" to the mix. Any suggestions for AV improvement for me?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:20 pm

The card performs perfectly for a dedicated HTPC (not for gaming). The nVidia GT-430 GPU works great for home theater. It handles BluRay (including 3D!) and everything else you can throw at it... including the 29/59 bug. It can pass the latest lossless HD audio through the HDMI cable. The Zotac card I have is fanless, but has a huge heat sink. The heat sink is so wide that it makes one expansion slot on your motherboard unusable. It also will not fit in a low-profile case. My case is pretty big... and the Zotac card almost touches the metal brace at the top of the case.

If it will fit in your case, it's a great card.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Oh... I just saw your question about AV improvement. Not sure what you want help with... finding a new AVR? If so, I'd recommend Denon, Sony, or Yamaha. You'll have to make your own decisions as to price vs features.

Sai Das

Post by Sai Das » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:54 pm

Sorry, I've made myself unclear yet again. I wasn't inquiring about HT systems, but how to improve the audio and video on my PC. My PC is my sole source of music and I have good speakers but am just using the integrated audio from my MOBO. The video card is to accommodate my two DVI monitors. My third will be a HDMI HD monitor so I want to maximize the experience with that for whatever I happen to view on my PC instead of XBMCTV. I don't have BluRay and don't plan to get one and probably nothing to do with 3-D until it matures from where it is now. I have a good sized, well-ventilated case but don't want to fill it up with a huge card, especially since the Ceton card runs hot as you know. I guess I got it backwards, I was thinking your nVidia card was for gaming and the Zotac was for HT.

Since I'm not using a HTPC, but rather an XBMC, and I don't game on my PC, would I benefit from a better card? I was considering some nice cards but was told that they would only really be of benefit for gaming so I'm not sure. What specs would I look for from what I've described?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:49 pm

You really have to stop making up new acronyms. I remember you posting in a different thread the "XBMC" thing. By this, you mean using an XBox as an extender for Media Center, right? You see, XBMC is an actual product... different from Media Center, and has nothing to do with an XBox.

Zotac is the manufacturer of my video card. It has an nVidia GT-430 GPU on it. I think you're confused. They are not two different cards. It's like saying that your MSI motherboard has an Intel CPU on it. You can buy nVidia-based video cards from lots of different manufacturers.

If you don't plan to play your TV shows on a monitor that is connected directly to the PC, then you do not need to upgrade your video card... unless you want to play games.