Unable to create MXF file

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
ianfcohen

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by ianfcohen » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:39 am

I’m happy to submit a ticket. What should we tell them the problem is specifically? I did submit a ticket before, but the guy who emailed me back had no idea what I was talking about.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:52 am

Here is what I sent SD concerning this issue.
I have some users I’m trying to help out that are having problems getting responses from the SD API. The errors primarily occur with the /schedules, /programs, and /metadata/programs endpoints

The HTTP exceptions they are receiving are:
“One or more errors occurred. An error occurred while sending the request. The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.”
“One or more errors occurred. Error while copying content to a stream. Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.”
… and even had a timeout after 5 minutes without receiving a response.

The only thing I have found common so far is the geographic area. Of the 4 users that have reported the problem, they are in MD, VA, MA, and NY. I would expect a lot more users reporting the problem if it is being caused by regional AWS servers, but this is where I’m at. Reducing the size of the requests helped a little maybe, but the issue is still there.

I asked them to submit a ticket so you could possibly attach some debug code to see what is going on on your end. Hopefully they will do so.
So all of you have seen at one point or another the connection to the AWS server being closed after about 20 seconds. One of you has also seen a timeout after not receiving anything from SD (5 minutes). When you submit a ticket you can simply describe it as connection problems with the SD server and reference this thread and/or my email to them. That should be good enough.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:18 pm

I was able to finally complete the creation and import of the mxf file such that I now have a green icon on the WMC home screen. I submitted a report to SD and got a response that I sent it to the wrong link, but I was told that apparently my HTPC was using IPV6 protocols with my network adapter than that there have been reported issues with that enabled. I went into my adapter settings and unchecked the IPV6 settings to disable it. I updated epg123 back to version 1.7.3.0 to test it out.

I opened the epg123 app and did a save and execute and this time it ran to completion. I am still not getting my local OTA channels in the guide even though I have them selected in the epg123 GUI. They all appear on the right side of the window but the left side is only listing the FIOS channels even though I have the option in the dropdown box to show all scanned sources. I only have the main HD channels selected in the OTA channel listing and none of the sub-channels so it cut down the number of channels to show data for considerably.

I rebuilt the WMC database and also performed an epg123 client setup, but it always crashes WMC after about 10 minutes when it is in the final tuner configuration save screen. It always reports that I have more tuners than I have connected, but it doesn't seem to affect anything that I can tell. If I try to rerun the TV setup again as prompted by the client setup, it exists immediately and tells me that there are no tuners available and to reboot the PC (or possibly restart WMC, but I forget which).

I don't know if the lack of local channels is an SD issue or with epg123 since they're not showing up in the overall channel list in the epg123 app. Should I submit this to SD and see what they say?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:27 pm

If you don't see your OTA channels on the left side at all, then you have not scanned your OTA tuners in WMC TV Setup. If they are on the left side, just without guide listings, then your downloaded guide listings have not been mapped to the channels.

So not clear on which scenario above applies.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

- Gary

ianfcohen

Post by ianfcohen » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:57 am

Sent it off :thumbup: !

ianfcohen

Post by ianfcohen » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:59 am

Ohhh I just caught up… I’ll try that now too…

ianfcohen

Post by ianfcohen » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:05 am

Just worked flawlessly.. disabling ip6 fixed the issue!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:35 am

There doesn't appear to be any way I can force IPv4 within epg123. I could do it by changing a registry setting for the OS, but I don't like mucking around people's registry... it affects the OS and is not limited to epg123.

But this is great news on finding the fix!
- Gary

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:59 pm

garyan2 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:27 pm If you don't see your OTA channels on the left side at all, then you have not scanned your OTA tuners in WMC TV Setup. If they are on the left side, just without guide listings, then your downloaded guide listings have not been mapped to the channels.

So not clear on which scenario above applies.

I thought that might be the issue. I've been unable to run the TV signal setup to completion without WMC crashing on me. I'm not sure if I can run it in safe mode without any drivers installed. It's been ages since I've had to run a PC in safe mode so I don't recall if I can cherry pick which drivers to install. I may have a backup for the HTPC on one of my other drives so I'll see if I can restore it to an earlier version and try it again.

Ever since I started using Emby and Channels DVR on my Shields in conjunction with JRiver on a Win 10 HTPC, I rarely use my main Win 7 HTPC that much for anything other than recording copy protected channels and they are few and far between these days on FIOS. It may finally be time to retire my trusty old WMC HTPC and just use my Shields since I pretty much use them for almost everything these days.

UPDATE:

I restored my Windows 7 installation from a cloned hard drive that I made after the last time I installed Windows 7 on my HTPC. I got tired of reinstalling everything from scratch and then dealing with the multitude of updates before I could actually start doing anything with the PC. I tested the cloned backup and did a few updates to it to keep it current and then cloned it to another SSD that I had on hand. I put the original clone away for safekeeping until the next time I needed it. I had added a new HDHR 4K tuner to the mix since I did the cloned install so I did a rescan in the HDHR Setup app on the original clone before making the latest copy. I had already installed epg123 1.7.3.0 on the original clone so I ran a client setup that did a fresh install from scratch and also ran the TV signal setup in WMC. This time it went all the way to completion with no issues. When it finished the final phase and ran epg123 I now have a guide with both local and FIOS channels, although I had to map a few locals and add them to the guide and then import the mxf file again to get them to show up.

It would appear that the main glitch was having the IPV6 network protocols enabled that was preventing the connection with SD. The locals not showing up was definitely a WMC/Windows issue that was resolved by reinstalling a good backup. Everything seems to be in working order now. Thanks for your help and a great program, Gary.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:45 am

So to those that have/had this problem, I got a request from SD to possibly recruit some of you to assist in finding the root cause of the issue. It appears not only a regional problem, but possibly also an ISP problem. Are all of you having this problem using Verizon for your internet?

SD would like to debug your account when not using v1.7.3.4, let if fail so they can open a ticket with Amazon and provide some data to define/describe the issue.
- Gary

RCC

Post by RCC » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:46 am

Is this a conflict between Verizon and SD? I live in Texas and use Verizon. I will try disabling IPV6.

[12/21/2022 10:08:28 PM] ===============================================================================
[12/21/2022 10:08:28 PM] Activating the epg123 configuration GUI. version 1.7.3.5
[12/21/2022 10:08:28 PM] ===============================================================================
[12/21/2022 10:08:28 PM] *** Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit [Version: 6.1.7601.24546] ***
[12/21/2022 10:08:28 PM] *** .NET Framework 4.8.03761 is intalled. ***
[12/21/2022 10:08:28 PM] *** Windows Media Center [Version: 6.1.7600.16385] is installed. ***
[12/21/2022 10:08:30 PM] [ INFO] SD responded with error code: 4003 , message: Invalid username or token has expired. , serverID: 20141201.web , datetime: 2022-12-22T04:08:30Z
[12/21/2022 10:08:30 PM] [ERROR] Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for a token request.
[12/21/2022 10:08:39 PM] [ INFO] SD responded with error code: 4003 , message: Invalid username or token has expired. , serverID: 20141201.web , datetime: 2022-12-22T04:08:39Z
[12/21/2022 10:08:39 PM] [ERROR] Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for a token request.
Last edited by RCC on Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:56 am

The problem appears to be between Verizon in the northeast and the Amazon servers SD is hosted on. I don't believe it is related to what you are seeing.

Did you change your SD password? When you open the configuration GUI and it fails to login, do you then enter the current password and click the login button?
- Gary

RCC

Post by RCC » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:15 am

I have not changed my SD password and I have no trouble logging onto the SD site with my password. I live in Texas and use Verizon.
Do I need to disable IPV6? That would be kludge.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:26 am

No. You are using 1.7.3.5 which points to an IPv4 only address for SD. There must be another reason you can't login.

- Gary

RCC

Post by RCC » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:38 am

Sorry garyan2 you are correct I needed to change my password. All is fine now.