"Subscription Required" error on initial set up with new cable provider

ma_psu

HTPC Specs: Show details

"Subscription Required" error on initial set up with new cable provider

Post by ma_psu » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:28 am

I am trying to set up my CableCARD using WMC (on my PC with Windows 7), an HDHomeRun Prime, and schedules direct, and I am having issues that I hope someone here might be able to help me figure out. I am not overly familiar with these types of systems and still trying to learn. A friend of mine helped me start up my original setup, but I have been able to maintain and troubleshoot it here and there since then with only rarely needing to pester him for support from him.

I previously had my system set up and working at my previous house and then we recently moved to a new town with a new cable provider. I provided the new cable provider the information for the new card and they told me that they activated it successfully. When I run through the EPG123 install directions (which I had done at my previous house with no issues), WMC finds the 3 tuners no issues. When step 2 is completed, I get a pop up in EPG123 client tool that says there 6 tuners available but only 3 configured in WMC. When I complete step 3, I get the lineup list in EPG123 and it appears correct to what I am supposed to see based upon what I pay for through my cable provider. But when I go to try to watch live TV in WMC, the screen goes black for 5-10 seconds and then it says "Subscription Required". Only one channel comes through and that is the advertisement channel for the cable company, which just lists the prices of internet and cable plans and stuff like that. I spoke with the cable company and they say that everything on their end appears to be correct and activated properly.

Also, as a separate test, I have tried using HDHomeRun's program on my computer to scan and view channels. That only will find the cable company advertisement channel as well, nothing else.

Do any of you have any insights you can share as to what I may be missing or ideas that I can try to get this working?
Thanks!!!

dkm

Post by dkm » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:07 am

Every time I get a Subscription Required error in my system, there is a authorization sync issue where I have to call the cable company. I can see this in Ceton's diagnostic tools.

I'm still running Ceton, so I'm not familiar with SD's diagnostics, but I'd take a look through this thread over on their forums and see if it may help track down exactly where the issue is:

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=65715

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:24 pm

Do you have the new cable company's tuning adapter installed? It's required for their service to work.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:31 pm

It really sounds like they have not provisioned your cable card properly. You did not specify what cable Co it is but some (e.g. Comcast/Xfinity) need not only cable card pairing/activation but lineup provisioning "Hits" to the card. And as the previous poster noted if your Cable Co requires a tuning adapter that would need to be provisioned by the Cable Co as well. (at least in my market Comcast does not use TA's but YMMV). Also note that the cable card is a one way device so if they say they see it properly set up don't believe them. Too many instances on TGB of needing multiple tries by the Cable Co to to get a card set up. Also note that it could simply be a bad card and you might need to try another.

ma_psu

Post by ma_psu » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:35 pm

stuartm wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:31 pm It really sounds like they have not provisioned your cable card properly. You did not specify what cable Co it is but some (e.g. Comcast/Xfinity) need not only cable card pairing/activation but lineup provisioning "Hits" to the card.
This was the ticket!!! Thanks!
I started messing with it today and saw that all of the sudden Showtime channels (which I don't pay for) started showing up/working. So I called in read them your response above and told them that randomly Showtime channels started showing up/working which made me think I hadn't screwed anything up during my start up here. She said that they just started a free promotional weekend for us and agreed that she would try refreshing the card. As soon as she did that - bing, everything started working!
Thank you all for the help and suggestions! Much appreciated! :clap: :thumbup: