Logo Updates

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
NOYB

HTPC Specs: Show details

Logo Updates

Post by NOYB » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:44 pm

Are changed logos automatically re-downloaded?
Been awhile but seems in the past they were not. If so, guessing that is still the case.

Would be nice to have feature to check for and re-download changed logos periodically. Say once a week/month, or configurable.

Would envision using something similar to web browser caching; i.e. "If-Modified-Since: and/or "If-None-Match" headers with 304 not modified response code.

Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:21 am

No, not going to happen. I currently do not track what images I used for what logos, and I don't think I ever will. Here are a couple images to look at and the possible scenarios I want to avoid by doing a logo "refresh" periodically.

The first obvious difference is the apparent size of the logos. I download the logos from SD, crop them, and save them with a base filename of the station callsign. The "as downloaded" logo has a lot of transparent pixels around it that make it appear much smaller.

The 1st, 6th, 8th, and 9th logos are custom logos and I don't want to replace those for any reason.

The 2nd logo, I decided I didn't like the contrast of the COZI logo so changed it to the white logo. I wouldn't want that one refreshed either.

The only way I see to get what you want is to always use the direct links to the SD logos. Sure I could download the logos every time, crop and save every one of them, but it will prevent anyone from being able to customize their logos. If I did that, then those with 700 stations in their lineups would download all the guide data they needed in 40 seconds but have to wait 1-1/2 minutes or more waiting for the logo downloads and processing to complete.
Screenshot 2022-10-26 205127.png
Current cropped logos from logos folder
Screenshot 2022-10-26 205043.png
Logos downloaded from SD
Basically, EPG123 will give a solid starting point for station logos. It also makes it very easy to change logos if you find any are wrong or want to customize. I don't plan on changing that.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:33 am

All that thought put into the post above, and I think I found a fairly simple way to do it a couple minutes after pressing [Submit]. It, however, will basically make all logos everyone has currently downloaded completely useless.
- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:31 pm

I use my own hand crafted logos due to the variable quality of those available through online sources (perhaps a regional issue). I wouldn't want to lose the ability to customise logos.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:04 pm

Custom logos will still be king and available. I think you will no longer be able to change the dark/light/white/grey logos.
- Gary

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:44 am

1.7.2.1 Beta
Appears WMC is receiving the light background channel logo version even though dark background is specified.

Overall looking good though.
"If station logo changes from SD (by changing the png filename),"
What determines/causes to change, the SD png file name? Are there logo changes that don't change the SD png filename?

Had to use the Client Tool to Tweak WMC Channel Logo Size. Change from Small to Large.
May be worth a note in change log mentioning something about that.

Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:16 am

NOYB wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:44 am 1.7.2.1 Beta
Appears WMC is receiving the light background channel logo version even though dark background is specified.
Take a look at your logos folder. All the s#####_360w_270h.png should have "dark" in the filename for dark background logos. If you open the configuration GUI and click on a logo, it will be clear which logo was downloaded.
NOYB wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:44 am Overall looking good though.
"If station logo changes from SD (by changing the png filename),"
What determines/causes to change, the SD png file name? Are there logo changes that don't change the SD png filename?
Not sure. We will find out but I believe with a past conversation with SD that a change in the logo will be a change in the filename. That will cause EPG123 to download the new logo and use in the guide.
NOYB wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:44 am Had to use the Client Tool to Tweak WMC Channel Logo Size. Change from Small to Large.
May be worth a note in change log mentioning something about that.
The logos (files) are the same size they've always been. The channel logo size in the Tweak WMC form is just setting up the size of the frame containing the image in the guide. Nothing to note. Personally, I always use the Medium size.
- Gary

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:42 am

Yes they are labeled as dark. The thumbnails are of the dark version and show as dark version in the config GUI and also in image viewers/editors.
But in WMC the light background version is being shown.
All looks as expected, except in WMC.

I always used the small size and it filled the WMC guide field. Now have to use the large size to fill the guide field.

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:41 am

Downgraded to 1.7.2.0 then upgraded again to 1.7.2.1 and the channel icons are correct now.
No idea how WMC managed to get the light background icons as they were not on the system. Only the dark background icons.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:52 am

NOYB wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:41 am Downgraded to 1.7.2.0 then upgraded again to 1.7.2.1 and the channel icons are correct now.
No idea how WMC managed to get the light background icons as they were not on the system. Only the dark background icons.
The only way you could have seen what you did was if you did not enable the option to include the logos in the .\logos folder AND selected your preferred logo to be either light background or gray. That would explain why the logos looked so small. It was because it was downloading direct from SD which are not cropped.

By not including the logos in the .\logos folder, epg123 will just provide the http link to the logos on the SD server (unless your preferred logo is not to use any SD logos).
- Gary

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:42 pm

Preferred logos was dark background. Has been forever.

Upgraded from 1.7.2.0 to 1.7.2.1

Saved config with new version:
Opened config GUI
Removed one channel
Saved
Re-added removed channel
Saved

Ran "Upgrade Guide Now" from client task bar menu.

Opened WMC
Opened Guide
Channel logos shown as small and for light background

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:48 pm

And the option to include logos in .\logos folder was always enabled?

I'll try to recreate later today. I haven't had any issues like this.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

- Gary

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:56 pm

Yes. Didn't make any other changes than remove/re-add the one channel to save config with the new version.

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:13 am

Even though the logo dark background versions are being shown in WMC now. Still have to use the tweak large setting to have them fill the field like before with tweak small setting.

Comparison between "house" system still on 1.7.2.0 and notebook system upgraded to 1.7.2.1.

Not that using tweak large is a problem. But just to let you know in case it happens to affect others.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:51 am

The code is fine, no errors. The only thing left would be if the image downloaded from SD has some rogue pixel(s) that defeat the crop, but you say it looks fine in the GUI. Could you send me your lineup and I'll look at the logos.
- Gary

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:41 am

Don't think it's the images. Did a spot check comparison of a few against _d version and they are binary identical.
Lineup is Local OTA Broadcast 97116

Does the tweak logo size change a WMC/registry setting or does it change the size of the image being provided to WMC?
If it is changing a WMC setting to control the logo size, could it be possible that the client tweak logo size setting was showing small even though WMC was set to large? Reason I ask is because the logos in the "house" system WMC guide are large, but the client tweak logo size shows small. Have not made any recent changes to that system so as not to taint it for comparisons.

It's functioning so not sure how much effort it's worth.

Will wait for the production release before upgrading the "house" system. We'll see if any odd behavior occurs on that instance.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:17 pm

The logos are fine and there is nothing wrong with the software.

Tweak WMC changes some resource files within Microsoft.MediaCenter.Shell.dll. So on your laptop, you can go through some steps to fully demonstrate how it works.

1. Within tweak, click the [Default] button. This restores those resource files to the default settings that WMC comes with. The logos will be small, text and image sizes will be slightly off-center vertically. The grid is fairly narrow and the program description width are fairly small.
2. Within tweak, don't adjust anything and just click the [Update] button. Tweak will take the current dial readings and change those resource files to be "EPG123" standard. The logos will appear slightly larger, all text and image placement will be centered vertically, the grid will be nearly edge-to-edge, the program description area will be significantly wider.

Actually, the best thing you can do to do true comparison between your HTPC and the laptop is to duplicate the settings in Tweak between the 2.

Because the settings are part of the dll file, if you repair or uninstall/reinstall WMC then EPG123 tweaks will disappear, and you will be back to WMC standard settings. Other third-party programs such as MCT to adjust the grid can really mess things up and advise against it.
- Gary