Looking for a simple soundbar that will work with my system

sanjosanjo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Looking for a simple soundbar that will work with my system

Post by sanjosanjo » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:39 pm

Hi all.
I'm looking for help in finding a soundbar that could work with my setup.
I have a simple but effective system that has Windows 7 Windows Media Center and I plan to use this system as long as humanly possible. I use it for accessing a CableCard tuner, which is the aspect that keeps me on this system.

I have the PC hooked to a modest Vizio TV via HDMI from onboard video and I want to add a soundbar, preferably with Bluetooth to allow me to stream from mobile devices. Does anyone know of a soundbar that I could put in line with the HDMI connection, that would allow me to control the sound bar volume with a remote that can also control the PC's Windows Media Center? I currently use an old fashioned WMC remote to control the volume on the PC, and I would prefer to not have to use a separate remote just for the soundbar. I don't mind buying a different remote, as long as it supports both the Media Center PC volume and the soundbar. Surround sound isn't a requirement.

Just some other background: the only connection to this TV is the HDMI from the PC and an Ethernet cable. I don't use the TV for OTA, nor do I have a Bluray player hooked up to it. I do sometimes use the network connection into the TV to view Netflix natively on the TV. The TV doesn't have eARC for getting the sound from Netflix on the TV delivered to a soundbar, but I don't use Netflix enough to care about this. Almost all of my media consumption is on the PC: either WMC or Kodi, so the sound really only has to flow in one direction - from the PC to the soundbar and to the TV. The TV does have an optical output, so I could make use of that if there is a soundbar that could take that, but it's not a requirement. I'm mostly interested in using the sound that is coming out of the PC via HDMI into my TV.

Thanks for any advice.

stuartm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by stuartm » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:01 pm

AFAIK most soundbars offer digital optical from tv to soundbar connection and bluetooth connection as well. A quick survey on Amazon show several like that.
I personally went with this one:https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Cinema-W ... op?ie=UTF8
It also supports programming the sound bar to recognize control from an alternate remote e.g. TV or HTPC remote.