New tv setup data could not be downloaded

Stevecook

HTPC Specs: Show details

New tv setup data could not be downloaded

Post by Stevecook » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:47 pm

I am getting the new tv data could not be downloaded message on a new install of W7 and wmc. Can anyone help please?

aquadextrous

Post by aquadextrous » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:08 pm

I believe that it's because MS have switched off all the server locations for TV setup, media information and TV Guide. When it's finished looking it should give you an option to continue anyway and then should let you set up TV as normal.

Stevecook

Post by Stevecook » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:58 pm

I ran the whole setup anyway and it says there are no channels, check my connections. It looks to me like it's trying to make a cable connection but I'm using an aerial. The TV works through the same aerial after it's been through my TV card so there is definitely a good signal.

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:24 pm

When you set up WMC you have to tell it you don't want it to set up the guide and download TV setup data. That's why you have no channels. The servers which provide the channel data were taken offline years ago and no longer exist. You need it to get the setup data from another source. That's where epg123 comes in, and a subscription to Schedules Direct comes in. I suggest you check out the epg123 section of the forum.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:08 am

if you are in the UK Freeview for standard defn will supply 7 days of epg data. After you have gone thru the set up processs and detected all the tv channels just go to the empy epg and view some channels then over time they will all fill in

Stevecook

Post by Stevecook » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:56 am

Just spent all morning, joined the schedule direct, ran all the way through the epg123, still no channels - and schedules direct says my account has expired on 21st March?????

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:09 pm

You get 7 days free trial with Schedules Direct which would expire on 21st. You should still be able to set everything up on the trial though.

When you say no channels, do you really mean no channels rather than no guide data? If you have no channels at all then it sounds like your tuner (tv setup) has not been completed. Do you have Media Center compatible drivers installed for your tuner?

Once you have a working tuner, it is best to post in the dedicated EPG123 forum for further help on the setup.
https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vi ... cd05b09c73
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Stevecook

Post by Stevecook » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:35 pm

Thanks for your help guys, the schedules direct keeps throwing me out saying membership expired on 21st March 2022 so I gave up. I went back to W10 and NextPVR. Everything set up as it should so I'm back in business. Shame about WMC, I really liked it when it worked. Thanks again.