Showing series recording unable to be cancelled

HTPC Specs: Show details

Showing series recording unable to be cancelled

Post by 1454 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:38 am

Ok, the other day I was having a few issues with a tuner and I set 4 shows up to record at once. Well one of those shows ended up being sportscenter. Now it is recording every single sportscenter episode.

I've tied rescheduling the recording and canceling multiple times, in addition to restarting the pc. I've looked in the series list and sportscenter doesn't even show up as a scheduled recording, nor does it show up in the scheduled recording list. It's getting super annoying.

I've tried everything I know to fix it and I still can't get it to stop.

Is there anyway to manually go into the file structure and cancel the recording? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

CWatkinsNash

Post by CWatkinsNash » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:05 pm

MC generally does a sort of dynamic scheduling. It only shows a one-off task for the next episode in Task Scheduler. For example, I have one show set to record, M-F. In MC, it shows all upcoming episodes that it knows about from the epg, but in Task Scheduler, it shows a one-time task for the next episode on Monday. But if you look at task history, it shows all previous episodes. If, for some reason (because sometimes WMC just does stuff) it scheduled additional tasks for future episodes, or if a task was set to repeat, it may not recognize it when it tries to clean up after you delete a scheduled recording. It's like it's had too much to drink, wrecks the joint, then gets up in the morning with no recollection and says, "That's not my mess, I'm not cleaning it up."

So, if that's the case, you have to clean it up manually.

Open Task Scheduler. In the left pane, go to Microsoft > Windows > Media Center. Let it load all the tasks, then look for "StartRecording" tasks. (If they aren't in alphabetical order, you can click the "name" column header to sort and make it easier.) When you click on one, the show name will be in the details pane. If you have multiple shows scheduled, you might have to dig in to find the ones for SportsCenter, and when you do, right-click the task to delete it.

Hopefully that will stop the recordings. If that wasn't the problem, or they come back, then there may be a deeper issue.

Post by 1454 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Awesome thanks, I'm going to try and look into this tonight. I appreciate the info. Will report back on my success or failure.

CWatkinsNash

Post by CWatkinsNash » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:54 pm

You're welcome. :) I really hope it helps.

Post by 1454 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:32 pm

CWatkinsNash wrote:You're welcome. :) I really hope it helps.
It did, I was able to fix the issue. I really do appreciate it again.

pilastr

Post by pilastr » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:46 pm

This worked for me also, thank you!

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:00 am

I know this is an old resurrected thread, but multiple StartRecording tasks in Task Scheduler? This is not supposed to happen as far as I know. That task is only used to start the next upcoming recordings (wake the PC, if asleep and start the pending recordings), not for each individual recording. Once the recordings are started, this task is updated with a new "start time" that reflects the next upcoming recording.

It is possible for this single task to get corrupted- in Task Scheduler, in which case if you delete it, WMC will recreate it (no longer corrupted), but I've never heard of there somehow being multiple StartRecording tasks at the same time in Task Scheduler.