Strange recording issue

StinkyImp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Strange recording issue

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:32 pm

I have a single channel and its subchannels that not only fail to record, they lose their signal.

I'm using Hauppauge tuners.

WMC tunes the channel perfectly. Whenever a scheduled recording or a manual recording are started it immediately blanks the screen and gives the "No TV signal" error. If I stop the recording it tunes the station again.

WinTV on the same machine using the same tuners has no problem tuning and recording this channel (and its subs).

A Tablo sitting right beside the TV tunes and records these fine.

WMC has no issues with any other channels according to the recording history and randomly tuning stations and performing manual recordings.

I performed a rescan just in case they've changed anything OTA. What would be my next step(s)?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:45 pm

Edit the channel and take a look at the sources. Make sure valid sources are checked (you might have some ghost tuners). I can't remember if the tuners higher in the list are prioritized for watching or recording.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:57 pm

I believe Live watching starts at the top of the list and Recording starts at the bottom of the sources list.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:22 pm

Good call :thumbup:

I have four tuners and they're listed in same order on all my channels... EXCEPT the channel and its subs that aren't functioning correctly.

The first four are listed exactly like the other channels but at positions 5 thru 8 they're duplicated.

Ok. I just noticed this in the client.

Channel 12.5 must be is new and I don't know when that happened. It attached UHF18.X to my previously pristine 12.Xs.

How do I disconnect the 18s from the first four 12s?

Note: 12.5 tunes and records fine.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:42 pm

WMC is weird in this. First, you can split the tuners in WMC but it is a pain. You can use the client to split them, but I can't guarantee results... haven't tested enough. When developing, and merging/splitting multiple times, one of them may disappear.

This happens when you scan for more channels in WMC, it sees 2 stations with the same EID? and automatically merges them. Obviously not desired in some cases. One thing you could do would be to "Scan for More Channels", but click the [Delete All] button first, then [Scan again]. WMC will not automatically merge the channels in this instance I believe, but I haven't been in this kind of environment to test that out.

My
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:50 pm

Well... That was easy! I simply "unchecked" the 18s.

Thank you for teaching this old dog a new trick! :clap:

EDIT: Spoke too soon. It turns out I needed to uncheck the 12's and leave the 18s checked. NOW everything's back to normal! :thumbup: