Newbie-which TV tuner card or USB?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
jojobob17

HTPC Specs: Show details

Newbie-which TV tuner card or USB?

Post by jojobob17 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:41 am

Which TV tuner should I get? Finally upgraded computers. I had a Windows XP with an Linksys media center extender. Loved using it as my DVR. My new Windows 7 computer did not come with a TV tuner. Recommendations?

I am hard wired to an xbox360 as an extender this time. Linksys wmce extender not compatible. sigh.

Need advice on which TV tuner card to buy OR should I buy a USB one?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:13 am

What are you looking for in a tuner? Do you want to use cableCARD to receive encrypted digital cable signals? Or do you want to tune in clear digital signals from your cableco? Or does your cable provider provide analog signals? Or are you not even using a cable provider--are you instead using an antenna to receive over the air signals?

Most cable providers either have moved from, or are going to move from, providing analog signal over to providing digital signal only. In that case, using their cableCARD for receiving their digital stuff makes life much easier, and sometimes necessary. The cableCARD tuners on the market all seem to be good and to work well. Many of us use the Ceton products, but there seems to be no reason not to use the SiliconDust product if that's what you like.

Internal card vs external USB vs networked tuner, it's your choice. It depends on what you're looking for.

Analog and clear digital cable and OTA signals, I like the Hauppauge stuff. CableCARD, I like the Ceton internal card--especially at the new $200 price.

Let us know more details, we'd be happy to help.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:17 pm

yeah, what country are you in would be a good start

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:32 pm

Echoing what Adam and Bob wrote...

In the USA or Canada, using a Cable company, you will need the following:
  • For analog cable channels: NTSC tuners
  • For Clear QAM (not encrypted) digital channels: QAM tuners
  • For encrypted QAM channels: CableCARD tuners
In the USA or Canada, using over-the-air signals, you will need ATSC tuners.

In the UK, I believe you would need:
DVB-T tuners for terrestrial (over-the-air) digital TV
DVB-T2 tuners for terrestrial digital HD TV
DVB-S tuners for free satellite TV
DVB-S2 tuners for free HD satellite TV

So... tell us what kind (or combination) of tuner(s) you are looking for.

It would also be helpful to know if your PC has PCI slots or PCIe slots (or both) and how many of each. Also need to know the size of the PC case... to know if a card will fit in it... and whether you would prefer to have the tuner inside the PC... behind/beside the PC, connected by USB... or even in a closet somewhere else in the house, connected by Ethernet cables.