WMC crashes on mouse move

danman

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC crashes on mouse move

Post by danman » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:19 pm

Frustrated!!!!!

As of this morning----WMC will open, but as soon as the mouse gets moved it will crash. Here is what I get...

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WERB79B.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WERE62A.tmp.mdmp

Any help would be appreciated. TIA

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:08 pm

Does everything work using keyboard arrow keys? Are you using any themes with WMC that would change the seekbar that appears typically?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

danman

Post by danman » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:36 pm

Yes and no. The arrow keys work just fine. I can pull up everything except "Recorded TV" from the home page with both the mouse and arrow keys. As soon as I click "Recorded TV" with the mouse or hit Enter on "Recorded TV" there's a problem. Things seem to be recording as normal. I did do a "Save & Execute" last night to force a guide update and that worked fine. It was not until I attempted to watch what was recorded last night that I started to have problems.

No Themes are being used.

TIA

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:22 pm

This could be because you have a corrupted recording. WMC crashes trying to get its metadata. The usual way to find this is to move recordings one at a time off to another directory till it stops crashing. Start with the most recent recordings since I assume the crashes only recently started.

danman

Post by danman » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:14 am

Stuart----I'm holding my breath----but your suggestion seems to have worked! Thanks a Ton

Burgh229

Post by Burgh229 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:05 pm

Over the past two weeks I have had a few recordings crash both the extenders and WMC app on my server. When I find the corrupted file I am able to fix the recording, using Windows Explorer, by converting it to a dvrms file and deleting the wtv file. I saved the last wtv to check the metadata when I get time. I am on Fios with a 6 tuner Ceton card and 2 dual tuner Hauppauge ATSC tuners. I have had the issue on both types of tuners, CATV networks and OTA. I use EPG123 for my guide with Schedules Direct.

cjsacksteder

Post by cjsacksteder » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:15 pm

I had the same (seemingly) problem yesterday. When I moused over a certain recording, crash.

Ended up manually deleting the recording, which I didn't want anyway. It had been there a while, and I had deleted 3 other episodes of the same series without issue.