6 months or so guide sub for 1st

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
tshephard

HTPC Specs: Show details

6 months or so guide sub for 1st

Post by tshephard » Thu May 28, 2020 8:20 pm

I got EPG123 working for 5 mos or so, something failed 5/20 or so, set it back up, doesn't work now for me, too many hours invested for 2009 tech.

PM me for remaining SD sub free to keep me from trying again!

I'll change my PW and set it to ya' and change offer here.

Space

Post by Space » Thu May 28, 2020 8:43 pm

Unless you set it up incorrectly at the start, it is rare that "setting it back up" (for a system that has been working) will fix a problem with EPG123.

The most likely problem is a DB corruption issue with WMC itself. There are many posts in this forum from people who had issues and they were easily resolved. If you post the EPG123 log here, someone can probably tell you what to do to solve your problem.

Use the "View Log" button in EPG123 to view the log and then post the last few days (end of log) here.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu May 28, 2020 9:53 pm

tshephard wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:20 pm I'll change my PW and set it to ya' and change offer here.
???
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Thu May 28, 2020 10:15 pm

I had an issue where the scheduled task just stopped working. This happened a few times. My guide would almost run out and I’d notice. I think it had to do with being logged into another account when the task ran. Anyway, all I had to do was recreate the task in epg123. Maybe that’s what’s up with yours....

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:22 pm

So, if I'm understanding correctly, something caused EPG123 to no longer update your guide on 5/20. It is now 5/28, you have been trying to get it to work, and rather than ask for assistance (which typically will get you running again in a few minutes), you chuck everything out the window?

A quick glance of your trace.log file will typically identify what is not working and lead to a solution, or even just looking at the EPG123 Client GUI. But NVM.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

tshephard

Post by tshephard » Fri May 29, 2020 12:47 pm

Gary, no dis to your work intended, the 'hours' were overall with WMC since whenever.

FWIW, yes, 5/20 (so really maybe 2 weeks earlier) or so recording failure.
Tested SD and they still knew me.
Tried fixing within existing install.
Tried complete re-install of EPG123.
Went back and re-installed JAVA, checked W7 updates, etc. JIC?
Followed instructions as best I could.
I (guessing) don't seem to get channel listing moved from client to server list, right side.
Server I add UN/PW, go, and get, like, SD server failed to respond, which is what I found on initial fail from a system that had worked for months.
All twice, I only had that WE to get something to work.

So I paid for another system and it's data, and moved on, that week's problem solved.
We have a SD HDHr, and Rokus everywhere.

However, except for looking forward (days) in the WMC schedule display, the whole family knows and loves the W7/WMC system, we even got a remote XBox360 so we could set schedules remotely.

Suggestions based on my minimal data?

Scally, yes, ask and get UN and new password.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri May 29, 2020 3:03 pm

No worries. I didn't take any offense. I was just surprised you didn't come to the forum earlier for help rather than simply declare it was hopeless.

The only maybe related information in your post that could what is going on is the "SD server failed to respond", so not much to go on. If you could send me your log file (c:\programdata\garyan2\epg123\trace.log) and a snapshot/picture of both the configuration GUI (EPG123) and the client GUI (EPG Client) to support@garyan2.net, I will have enough information to at least identify what happened and/or is going on.

Just an FYI. It sounds like you purchased another membership to SD? That wasn't necessary... your membership is not a per station use, but is for your household. You can use the same membership on as many computers and applications as you want as long as it is within your household.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri May 29, 2020 4:40 pm

tshephard wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:47 pm So I paid for another system and it's data, and moved on, that week's problem solved.
We have a SD HDHr, and Rokus everywhere.
garyan2 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:03 pmJust an FYI. It sounds like you purchased another membership to SD?
I did a double take too. I think OP means he bought a (S)ilicon (D)ust HD Homerun?

Space

Post by Space » Fri May 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Yeah, here is a little chart for clarification:

SD = Silicon Dust (maker of tuners)
SD = Schedules Direct (provider of TV guide data)
SD = Standard Definition (opposite of HD, High Definition)

This should clear up ALL the confusion on this site. :D

tshephard

Post by tshephard » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:43 am

FWIW...
Single SD account only, ever.
Had HDHR extend for years.
During below, I tried Silicon Dust software DVR (sucked), and Plex DVR (just not as easy as WMC).

Found what I did, and I think why!

My SD account was, is fine.
MY epg123 worked for months.
Failed, and I tried everything I could think of.
Deleted, removed, reinstalled, a bunch.
On a last do-over, over 2 days, I tried the both the setup and portable installs and 1 would work once, I got schedules - I think it was the portable. For some reason it made me realize what had happened.
One of them would work once from me clicking the pulled out .exe on my desktop, and then 'not find it' as an auto task because I had moved it.
That made me remember I had 'cleaned up' my desktop after all had settled it, and this showed up 2 weeks later as no updates, and I wasted all that time troubleshooting a problem I had caused.
So I redid everything one last time, and only pulled out a temporary link to the .exe to work with, got repeated updates, etc.
I am much more used to 'installs' than 'portables', but more aware now!

All is fine again!