How to restore EPG123?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to restore EPG123?

Post by Ken H » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:42 pm

I'm trying to fix a problem I created which has reconfigured my channel selection.

To fix it, I use Client Guide Tool Restore and picked the backup that I want. The guide shows up with the correct configuration but no listings, as I believe is expected. Then I used EPG123 Save and Execute, but it loads a different channel lineup and configuration that isn't what I restored. Then the Client Guide Tool has followed the Save and Execute and the restore I wanted is gone.

I'm probably missing a step to get EPG123 to see the restore from the Client Guide Tool, but I don't know what that is.

Help. Thanks.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:47 pm

Ken H wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:42 pm I'm trying to fix a problem I created which has reconfigured my channel selection.

To fix it, I use Client Guide Tool Restore and picked the backup that I want. The guide shows up with the correct configuration but no listings, as I believe is expected. Then I used EPG123 Save and Execute, but it loads a different channel lineup and configuration that isn't what I restored. Then the Client Guide Tool has followed the Save and Execute and the restore I wanted is gone.

I'm probably missing a step to get EPG123 to see the restore from the Client Guide Tool, but I don't know what that is.

Help. Thanks.
The [Restore] will only restore the WMC configurations. The lineups and channels you want to download will have to be manually restored... the lineups are from your Schedules Direct membership, so EPG123 can't change that. You will have to do that using the [Lineups] button.

There is also a configuration backup in the backups folder. You can just copy the zipped epg123.cfg file over the existing file in c:\programdata\garyan2\epg123
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:33 am

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. I didn't change anything in EPG123, only in WMC. It happened once before and all I did to fix it was a restore and save and execute. I have 1 lineup from SD, which is what comes up when looking at the lineup button, but it's not checked off.

I didn't notice there were two types of files in restore; config and backup. What is the difference?

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:44 am

Let me try again. After the restore the guide lineup and what I call configuration is correct; channels included, names, logos, everything. All I want to do now is fill the guide listings.

When I use the save and execute, a different guide configuration is loaded; added channels and missing channels.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:54 am

I'm pretty sure I'm still not getting what is happening, but from your description, here is how to use the restore:

Click the [Restore] button and select the backup file to restore.
Click the [Manual Import] button and select your epg123.mxf file to import. (Optional is to use the [Save & Execute])

That should be it. Your WMC configuration will be restored to a point when the backup was created, and the latest guide listings will be imported into the database. If your backup was correct, and your latest mxf file was relevant to that backup, then you should be good.

EPG123 doesn't load a different configuration.. there is only one.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io