WMC reporting recording conflicts where none exists after switch to EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
sirlou2001

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC reporting recording conflicts where none exists after switch to EPG123

Post by sirlou2001 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:27 am

So I used a SiliconDust HDHomeRun with 2 tuners. I am running Win 8.1PRO with WMC. I set up both the EPG123 client and application following the instructions closely. The guide data populates properly from the Schedules Direct download. I can record shows no problem...except when WMC is set to record two shows at once, e.g. it is supposed to access both tuners. This has never been a problem in all my years using WMC with the MS EPG info. But since installing EPG Client and using the EPG123 app, it seems WMC is no longer capable of beginning two recording at once.

It will throw an error and say there is a conflict and one recording will not begin. I can go in and manually record the second program through the WMC guide, but for some reason I cannot get two streams to record on a schedule at once. I checked and WMC is seeing both my tuners, which is obvious since I can manually record and also record one and watch another channel.

Any ideas of how to fix?

Lou

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:31 pm

The behavior is consistent with WMC thinking one of your tuners is in use viewing a channel. I am not sure how it would get into this state (other than actually have a channel being viewed). The few times my WMC has gotten confused about a tuner being in use a reboot fixed things. I assume you have tried that at least. One other thing to try might be to re-run the setup software for the HDHomeRun to see if that will reset things.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Also, try a different 5v wall wart for the HDhomerun. The caps used in the OEM power supply arent the greatest.

sirlou2001

Post by sirlou2001 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:26 pm

Thanks for the tips! I will try to re-run the SIlicon Dust software.

Quick question: if I do re-rerun the Silicon Dust software will I need to also rerun the EPG123 client or application at all?

Lou

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:46 pm

I don't think so. Assuming your tuners are both showing as sources for your channels then check after and they should still be there. At worst you would have to re-run tuner setup in WMC (and go thru re-setup of EPG123).

alhaunts

Post by alhaunts » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:48 pm

Like dmagerl says, change the wall wart.

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:37 pm

Do you know you can reset (not factory reset) your HDHomerun and that usually clears out such a problem? No need to reboot or reload the software. Here's an article on it that I found.

http://dougshartzer.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... tuner.html

sirlou2001

Post by sirlou2001 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:00 pm

So I thought I had this problem licked...and it has started happening again the last two weeks. WMC is set to record two channels at once at the same start time, using BOTH available tuners...and then one program fails to record, throwing an error that there was a recording conflict when there was none. Seems to suggest the two programs both need to be recorded on one tuner. Even though there are two. I have tricked into working by waiting for the error to occur, and then deleting the offending, conflicted recording and recording the program manually, direct from the WMC guide. Note I cannot record it via scheduling a new recording from within recorded programs, only by recording the live feed from the guide.

In addition to all I have tried above (which included reinstall and resetup of HDHomerun software and reinstall and resetup of EPG123, have tried powercycling and resetting the HD Homrun. I have not tried replacing the AC plug as I do not have another. Does anyone know if it a standard one that I could swap from another device (old phone, etc.)? Or do I need to hit ebay to find one?

Do you all think my HDHomeRun is just dead? It's been around for a long time, bought it almost a decade ago. I hate to buy a new device only to have the same problems if it is not the device...

Perhaps I should try a different DVR Program like NextPVR and see if it also fails to record two programs at once?

Any thought appreciated. :D

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:36 pm

For old Duo's any PSU with the following spec should work:
5V 1A regulated power adapter (higher A rating ok).
2.1mm plug, center positive.
Max 5.25V @ no-load.
Min 4.75V @ 1A.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:42 pm

I hit the same issue a few years back, albeit with a completely different tuner (and before I started using EPG123). I found running some extra PvrSchedule tasks fixed it for me. I never had this issue with Windows 7, only with Windows 8.1, and after it had previously been running fine for a few months.

Anyway, here is a link if you want to give it a try:
viewtopic.php?p=101230#p101230
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1