EPG123 automatic import delay

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Space

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 automatic import delay

Post by Space » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:33 am

Gary,

I'd like to get some clarification on how the delayed import of the created MXF file works in EPG123...

Here is the description you posted in the past (modified slightly based on a subsequent post that changes 5 hours to 23 hours):
If there is a recording in progress, then EPG123 will delay the import until 1 minute after it is due to complete, or 60 minutes - whichever is less. It will then check to see if a recording is in progress again before continuing or 23 hours have gone by; at which point it gives up and exits.
This description varies from what I have observed (or at least is incomplete).

What I've seen is that the EPG123 client will not import the MXF file if a recording is currently in progress OR if it is within 5 minutes of a recording starting. Is this true? I've seen it delay import when the time was 7:55:42 PM and there was a no current recording, but one was scheduled to start at 8:00:00 PM.

Also, the log entry that is made when the import is delayed gives the start/end times of the program currently recording, but this may not reflect the actual recording start/stop time due to padding. Does EPG123 consider padding when deciding when to next try to import? From my experience it does consider post-padding, but I am not sure about pre-padding.

Also, how does this work if there are multiple programs recording or about to record on different tuners?

Would it be possible to add the time it will next try to import the MXF file to the log entry? This way it will be clearer as to what is happening.

Thanks!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:41 am

Space wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:33 am What I've seen is that the EPG123 client will not import the MXF file if a recording is currently in progress OR if it is within 5 minutes of a recording starting. Is this true? I've seen it delay import when the time was 7:55:42 PM and there was a no current recording, but one was scheduled to start at 8:00:00 PM.
EPG123 queries the recordings in the database, and any recording in progress OR any recording "initializing" will cause the import to delay. I've never had the need to determine when a recording starts initializing, but a couple minutes before the pre-padding doesn't seem unreasonable.
Space wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:33 am Also, the log entry that is made when the import is delayed gives the start/end times of the program currently recording, but this may not reflect the actual recording start/stop time due to padding. Does EPG123 consider padding when deciding when to next try to import? From my experience it does consider post-padding, but I am not sure about pre-padding.
When looking up the recordings, I use the program's start and stop times to log in the trace file. When determining when to check for recordings again, I look at the "requested end time" of the program which includes the post-padding... then add 1 minute. I don't look at pre-padding since that is covered by the "initializing" stage.
Space wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:33 am Also, how does this work if there are multiple programs recording or about to record on different tuners?
EPG123 will list all recordings in progress and/or initializing and follow the same logic. Nothing special.
Space wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:33 am Would it be possible to add the time it will next try to import the MXF file to the log entry? This way it will be clearer as to what is happening.
Don't really see a need to be that verbose, but there should probably be something to state that import is being delayed. Slipping a time in there won't be an issue.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:02 am

Yeah, an entry that indicates the import is delayed due to recordings in progress and the date/time it will try again would be great!

Thanks again!