EPG123 Client Update Notification?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
LakeRat

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 Client Update Notification?

Post by LakeRat » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:02 am

EPG123 newbie here, so excuse me if this is a dumb question.

I have installed the server and client on my main WMC PC. I have 4 more PCs running the client only. All installs were done using version 1.3.3.30. I had some learning issues for the first couple of days that gave me a red icon (my fault), a yellow icon (SD's fault, I believe), and then on day 3, a green icon with a + sign. I updated the server to 1.3.4.0, and today I had a green icon with no plus sign...Success! The clients are all showing the green icon without the + sign. They are still running 1.3.3.30.

My question is this:

Will the clients ever show a + sign to indicate that there is an update available?
If they do not, will I have an issue with the version mismatch?
I do need to know if I am supposed to update the clients at the same time as the server. Considering that GaRyan2 is pushing out updates as fast as he can, I will be running around a lot. (between posting here and the updates, does GaRyan2 ever have time to sleep?)

One last note:

If you use EPG123, PAY THE MAN! I plan on doing that tomorrow. He has saved all of my WMC PCs from being useless as DVRs

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:59 am

Your clients will never indicate whether the software it is using is old or not. The indication that an update is available is embedded in the MXF file that all your WMCs import. So they will all see the '+' up until you update the server part. This brings a good point, and one I keep forgetting, and that is to include the client version number in the title bar like I do for the server. That may help a little.

I won't say never, but it is extremely unlikely that there will ever be a problem using different version servers and clients. The client for you normal daily updates really just called another program to import the MXF file. It does some things concerning the automatch, refreshing the guide, and kicking of the indexing but none of that is going to change.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

LakeRat

Post by LakeRat » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:09 am

garyan2 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:59 am Your clients will never indicate whether the software it is using is old or not. The indication that an update is available is embedded in the MXF file that all your WMCs import. So they will all see the '+' up until you update the server part. This brings a good point, and one I keep forgetting, and that is to include the client version number in the title bar like I do for the server. That may help a little.

I won't say never, but it is extremely unlikely that there will ever be a problem using different version servers and clients. The client for you normal daily updates really just called another program to import the MXF file. It does some things concerning the automatch, refreshing the guide, and kicking of the indexing but none of that is going to change.

Thanks for the quick answer.

I am guessing that the rapid-fire updates are because of the end of Rovi guide data. I imagine that we are all moving over to EPG123 at the same time. More users equals more bug reports.
I will probably just update the clients on the 1.x updates, unless I run into problems. I'll take the blame if that becomes a bad practice

Space

Post by Space » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:22 am

Why not include the the latest available EPG123 version number in the MXF file so all clients will know what the latest version is and be able to correctly indicate if there is a newer version available?