WMC Library resets after extender restart

cnewsgrp

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Library resets after extender restart

Post by cnewsgrp » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:06 pm

I am using Windows Media center via two XBox's in my living and bedroom. I have a strange problem where my library (Music, Pictures, Videos & Movies) resets everytime I shutdown and restart my XBox. for e.g. my Videos are under c:\users\xxx\Videos.

I go to settings and cleanup all folders and add this folder. I see all my videos at that time. However once I shutdown my xbox and restart, that folder will disappear and I will see following
c:\users\public\Videos
c:\users\xxx\temp\zzz\Videos

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:09 pm

You need to exit the MCE app on the Xbox, and not just power it off. Known issue.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

cnewsgrp

Post by cnewsgrp » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 pm

erkotz wrote:You need to exit the MCE app on the Xbox, and not just power it off. Known issue.
Thanks. Hope its ok to ask couple of more questions.. :)

1) Is there someway for Media Center to capture only channels I subscribe to based on my package with cable provider?
2) I created a favorite lineup with these channels manually. I also have "Remember the last selected favorite lineup" checked. Yet whenever I come back to WMC Guide I have to choose that lineup manually. What do I need to do to make that lineup stick?

Thanks in advance and appreciate the replies.

toddos

Post by toddos » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:38 am

cnewsgrp wrote:
erkotz wrote:You need to exit the MCE app on the Xbox, and not just power it off. Known issue.

1) Is there someway for Media Center to capture only channels I subscribe to based on my package with cable provider?
2) I created a favorite lineup with these channels manually. I also have "Remember the last selected favorite lineup" checked. Yet whenever I come back to WMC Guide I have to choose that lineup manually. What do I need to do to make that lineup stick?

For your original issue, are you running Windows 7 SP1? There was a hotfix rolled up into the service pack for the library reset issue that allows you to shut down extenders without going through close and not losing your library. You do have to sit through one full library population first, but after that you can shut off power however you like.

For the first of your other questions, I assume you're using a cablecard tuner? The information about what channels you're subscribed to is not available to a cablecard, only the full channel map that's available from your cable provider including things you don't pay for (just like on a regular cable set top box). However you can manually go through Settings and disable channels you don't want from the Guide. That way you can hide HBO or SHO if you don't pay for them, for example.

cnewsgrp

Post by cnewsgrp » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:58 pm

toddos wrote:
cnewsgrp wrote:

For your original issue, are you running Windows 7 SP1? There was a hotfix rolled up into the service pack for the library reset issue that allows you to shut down extenders without going through close and not losing your library. You do have to sit through one full library population first, but after that you can shut off power however you like.

For the first of your other questions, I assume you're using a cablecard tuner? The information about what channels you're subscribed to is not available to a cablecard, only the full channel map that's available from your cable provider including things you don't pay for (just like on a regular cable set top box). However you can manually go through Settings and disable channels you don't want from the Guide. That way you can hide HBO or SHO if you don't pay for them, for example.
Thanks for your replies
1) I am running Windows 7 SP1, but am still experiencing library reset issue. However this happens only when I view through extenders. When I look at library through desktop its there. I also noticed that my settings are "lost" For e.g I choose following settings everytime and they disappear after powerdown. I have to choose these again everytime I start to watch TV
-- Color Coding the Guide
-- Close caption cc1
-- Favorite lineup "VZW Prime" I created
-- Music, Picture, Video, Movie library

Its very frustrating that these minor issues that can be easily fixed by Microsoft taint the wonderful WMC experience. Do you guys see the same issue? I would like to note that this happens only via XBox extender. Directly on desktop everything is fine.

toddos

Post by toddos » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:52 pm

cnewsgrp wrote: Thanks for your replies
1) I am running Windows 7 SP1, but am still experiencing library reset issue. However this happens only when I view through extenders. When I look at library through desktop its there. I also noticed that my settings are "lost" For e.g I choose following settings everytime and they disappear after powerdown. I have to choose these again everytime I start to watch TV
-- Close caption cc1

Its very frustrating that these minor issues that can be easily fixed by Microsoft taint the wonderful WMC experience. Do you guys see the same issue? I would like to note that this happens only via XBox extender. Directly on desktop everything is fine.
Have you tried turning on the extender and leaving it on for ~24 hours or so to make sure everything fully populates before you close the session? Is there anything special or different about your network configuration, like your media center PC is joined to a domain? Have you installed anything out of the ordinary on the media center PC, or an antivirus/security suite other than Microsoft Security Essentials?

cnewsgrp

Post by cnewsgrp » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:07 pm

toddos wrote:
cnewsgrp wrote: Thanks for your replies
-- Close caption cc1

Have you tried turning on the extender and leaving it on for ~24 hours or so to make sure everything fully populates before you close the session? Is there anything special or different about your network configuration, like your media center PC is joined to a domain? Have you installed anything out of the ordinary on the media center PC, or an antivirus/security suite other than Microsoft Security Essentials?
All of the above
- I have not tried leaving on extender for 24 hours. Will try today. Should I do this with both or only one?
- Media Center PC is joined to a domain. Is there anything else I should do?
- I have AVAST AntiVirus.

I will try anything to make these issues go away. Any steps you recommend?

toddos

Post by toddos » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:48 pm

cnewsgrp wrote: All of the above
- I have not tried leaving on extender for 24 hours. Will try today. Should I do this with both or only one?

Each extender creates a separate MCX user and populates its own libraries and such, so you'll need to do this for each extender that's having a problem. However I suspect your problem is related to your media center being joined to a domain. Is there any specific reason why you're doing that? Usually this results in an issue with not even being able to connect the extender to the MC, though there are workarounds that you've probably used. And those workarounds can have other unintended consequences, such as not being able to access other shares on your network. If at all possible, I'd seriously suggest removing your MC from the domain and setting up a regular workgroup instead.

Also, I'd really recommend trying MSE, not to fix any of these issues but just because it's the least-intrusive AV I've ever used yet still works great and has never failed to protect me :).

cnewsgrp

Post by cnewsgrp » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:40 pm

toddos wrote:
cnewsgrp wrote: All of the above

Each extender creates a separate MCX user and populates its own libraries and such, so you'll need to do this for each extender that's having a problem. However I suspect your problem is related to your media center being joined to a domain. Is there any specific reason why you're doing that? Usually this results in an issue with not even being able to connect the extender to the MC, though there are workarounds that you've probably used. And those workarounds can have other unintended consequences, such as not being able to access other shares on your network. If at all possible, I'd seriously suggest removing your MC from the domain and setting up a regular workgroup instead.

Also, I'd really recommend trying MSE, not to fix any of these issues but just because it's the least-intrusive AV I've ever used yet still works great and has never failed to protect me :).
Thanks again. Yesterday I uninstalled both extenders, media center and installed both again. I added my media collection and left them on overnight. I have tested them for a day and it appears that the settings now stick. I also see that there are now MCxxxxx directories under c:\users that I did not have before. Hopefully the problem in now fixed!!

Thanks!!

Forgot to add that I am now using Microsoft essentials antivirus instead of AVAST