Ok to run Win 7 WMC after 1/2020?

mercalia

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mercalia » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:58 pm

adam1991 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:31 am
dejavux2 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:57 pm Any Windows OS after 7 makes me cringe.....

Microsoft really dropped the ball, and didn't realize what they had. WMC was ahead of it's time....seriously....because look at all of the digital content/streaming that's going on now. They could have been the TOP player in this media frenzy....if they only knew what they already had.
While generally I agree with that, I must say that Windows 8 (8.1?) was an absolutely superb operating system for a phone. I needed a phone quickly, and decided to try Windows--and did so with a fairly low end phone. And frankly, overall and from a business perspective it remains one of my fondest technology purchases. I sincerely wish Android could be configured to do some things that Win8 did right out of the box.

(Of course, I had not used Windows 8 on a desktop at that point--I had no need to. To this day I've seen it in a very limited fashion. A machine controller I sell came with Win8, and while it was mostly hidden in the background, every now and then I had to use the UI--and as good as it was for my phone, it was that bad for a desktop.)
I agree about Phones with 8.1 - I bought a couple of Lumia 635 for under £20 each in mint condition the other week. I had been avoiding becomeing a mobile zombie but after a near breakdown fiasco in the summer decided I needed some thing better than my Nokia 106 feature phone. Must say my Lumia 635 is a fine device and shame that Windows phone is dead. I ask you would you use an PC operating sustem whose updates have to come from either the maker or your isp? thats what Android is? I have Windows 8.1 desktop with media center and that again is a good system ( you dont need to use the tiles , get Start8 or the free alternative, classic shell is it? )

I will be using Media Center until the pcs stop working ( I have 3 so well set up for the long term ) as with the media browser plugin & Antec infrared controller it is hard to beat?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:49 pm

Android updates are coming more and more from Google. I agree with you, the whole carrier thing is insane.

Windom

Post by Windom » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:30 pm

According to this article, MS will stop supporting Windows 7 one year from today, Jan. 14, 2020.

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-end ... rom-today/

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:59 pm

...which is a far, far cry from meaning "windows 7 and therefore 7MC will stop working on that day, so GET READY!".

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:10 am

It will be an end of an era, nonetheless. No need in getting sentimental yet but it's, by far, the most home-centric OS to date. Native codecs and free guide data - in a year we can say "those were the days".

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:43 am

The newest issue is Microsoft is already starting to gut the backend of MCE...according to this zdnet link, they are right now in the process of disabling our TV guide listing functionality.

"Microsoft notes in a support document spotted by Windows Latest that users soon won't be able to view the title, genre, and artist for songs in the apps, and the apps will stop showing actors, cover art, and TV guide for movies. "

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-7 ... ia-player/

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:19 pm

There was a discussion about this here.

Currently this has to do with the metadata in the guide, not the guide itself (for now). When they pull the actual plug is anyone's guess.

I plan on using Win7 WMC for many, many years/decades to come. My current setup uses the following to try to stay ahead of the inevitable Win7 WMC shutdown:
  • EPG123 - for guide data.
  • RecordedTVHD - for recorded TV metadata.
  • Media Center Master - for all other TV show and Movie metadata.
  • Note - I still use MediaBrowser 2.6.2.0 R as a secondary library for ripped movies and TV shows.
I've also been testing Kodi 18 using ServerWMC and it's proving to be a viable contender for a WMC replacement if needed and it currently meets the WAF. :lol:

john9kover

Post by john9kover » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:10 pm

really nothing to worry about. i use epg123 and it just works. as for music metadata idk, maybe need to backup my music info before jan 20?

Space

Post by Space » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:46 pm

When the extended metadata server used by WMC goes away (which is what most believe this shutdown is referring to), EPG123 users will be affected more than those that are still using the Microsoft (Rovi/TiVo) guide data source.

This is because extended metadata for movies is mostly available only when the movie's year of release is known, and that is not supplied with the Rovi/TiVo guide data. This means that Rovi/TiVo guide data users are ALREADY missing out on much of the extended metadata for movies. EPG123 users will be in this same boat once the extended metadata servers are gone.

Much of the metadata that is displayed for recorded movies is supplied with the guide data, so that metadata will still be there, it is only extended metadata that is going away. I don't recall exactly which metadata that is, but I know that it at least includes movie reviews, "similar movies", and also the functionality of getting a list of movies that a particular actor or director was involved with (without extended metadata it will only list movies they are involved with that are in the current TV listings).

Much of the data in the extended metadata is a duplicate of the data supplied with the guide itself, this is why if you are viewing the cover art for a movie and then select that movie, the cover art sometimes changes to a different picture. One picture was downloaded with the TV listing, and the other is gotten from the extended metadata server when you select the movie (it happens in real time, on-demand). The extended metadata is only queried and gotten from the server when you select the movie in WMC, otherwise only the metadata that was gotten along with the TV listings is in WMC and the extended metadata will never be loaded.

jlader

Post by jlader » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:13 am

The only internet access my MCE needs is for EPG123. What would be nice is if EPG123 could download on another machine and the the Win 7 MCE could access the info on the other machine. I could then use my router to block the Win 7 MCE unit from accessing the internet.
Some say the way to peace is through many arms...

Space

Post by Space » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:48 am

jlader wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:13 am The only internet access my MCE needs is for EPG123. What would be nice is if EPG123 could download on another machine and the the Win 7 MCE could access the info on the other machine. I could then use my router to block the Win 7 MCE unit from accessing the internet.
EPG123 directly and purposely supports this.