Firing up the WMC again

epete

HTPC Specs: Show details

Firing up the WMC again

Post by epete » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:27 am

I have been away from WMC for a few years. The CATV signal quality (dropouts) got too annoying so I switched to Dish. Dish was ok, but still a bit over priced (renting all the set top boxes, etc). I then jumped to HDHomerun with their PRIME TV package. I purchased the WD PR2100 NAS and installed their DVR Engine on that and got an nVidia Shield Andriod TV box for playback. While it is functional, it has some quirks and the player on Windows and Andriod TV seems to freeze, or not allow skip (on occasion) and it just makes me miss WMC.

I fired up my W7 PC (still going through all of the updates) but have run into some issues.

1. I have a Ceton InfiniTV Tuner installed with no CableCARD and no RF connected. Media Center detects this device first and will not allow me to ignore it. Since WMC only allows two tuner devices, I can only use one of my HDHomerun Tuners. I have three A New York City HDHomerun, a Philadelphia HDHomerun and a Prime TV HDHomerun. This third one is simply not connected to any antenna ald just enables two Prime TV channels. Any way to get Media Center to ignore my Ceton Tuner so I can use my New York and Prime TV Tuners with Media Center? Yes, I could remove the card but was hoping to not have to do that.

2. After running the tuner config, I selected my old CATV provider in hopes of using the guide data to map to HDHomerun Prime TV channels. The Prime Channels dont seem to show up. Do I need to do anything special to get them available in WMC?

Thanks

Fin745

Post by Fin745 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:21 am

From my understanding, you can't use HDHomerun Prime TV with wmc as wmc uses frequencys to turn to channels which as an IPTV HDHomerun Prime TV doesn't use.

If you're looking to stick with HDHomerun Prime TV I'd look into Plex or Channels which do work with HDHomerun Prime TV.
Last edited by Fin745 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:52 am

Thats right. For the time being, there is no SD Premium TV in WMC. You will have to look at some other solution. If your looking at plex, look at emby also because there are a lot of plex orphans flocking to emby right now.

epete

Post by epete » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:36 pm

That is unfortunate. Thanks for the info. So, I have PLEX Lifetime and Emby Lifetime. I have configured PLEX on my NAS and have found it to have long wait times, not very easy to use and tends to drop the connection periodically even when in the same network on a fully wired connection. I have not ventured to try Emby. The HDHomerun Engine seems to function well and I am wondering if a work around is to keep the HDHomerun engine and point media center libraries to my HDHomerun folder on my NAS. I am also wondering if MCEBuddy should be used to convert them to WTV format. Then HDHomerun can record the Prime TV programs and I cam use my extenders for playback.

epete

Post by epete » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:40 pm

Fin745 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:21 am From my understanding, you can't use HDHomerun Prime TV with WMC as WMC uses frequencys to turn to channels which as an IPTV HDHomerun Prime TV doesn't use.

If you're looking to stick with HDHomerun Prime TV I'd look into Plex or Channels which do work with HDHomerun Prime TV.
Are you talking about the same Channels app that comes with nVidia Shield TV? My wife likes the guide on that, but I stayed away from configuring because I understood that some of the Prime channels will not be in my timezone (I am Eastern Time). maybe that is fixed now? I think this is something I may want to give a try.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:52 pm

epete wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:36 pm So, I have PLEX Lifetime and Emby Lifetime. I have configured PLEX on my NAS and have found it to have long wait times, not very easy to use and tends to drop the connection periodically even when in the same network on a fully wired connection.
I have Plex lifetime. I run it on my Mac; I get no such bad behavior, inside the home or out. It work superb. I have others accessing my library, on my 100/10 broadband; no complaints.

I will suggest that your NAS does not have the horsepower to run Plex to your satisfaction. This is not uncommon. As an exercise you might try installing Plex on a home computer of some kind, point it to the libraries on your NAS, and watch what happens.

Fin745

Post by Fin745 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:55 pm

epete wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:40 pm
Fin745 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:21 am From my understanding, you can't use HDHomerun Prime TV with WMC as WMC uses frequencys to turn to channels which as an IPTV HDHomerun Prime TV doesn't use.

Are you talking about the same Channels app that comes with nVidia Shield TV? My wife likes the guide on that, but I stayed away from configuring because I understood that some of the Prime channels will not be in my timezone (I am Eastern Time). maybe that is fixed now? I think this is something I may want to give a try.
I'm talking about this one https://getchannels.com/ and that is what Prime TV is, some channels are east coast or west coast or national

https://www.silicondust.com/premium-tv/#timezones