Migrating from Comcast to Verizon

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Joram

HTPC Specs: Show details

Migrating from Comcast to Verizon

Post by Joram » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:17 pm

We are changing service providers (from Comcast to Verizon FiOS) and I have a couple of questions about how this will affect our use of EPG123. I figure that we'll have to change the source for the channel lineup, but I'm wondering about the following:

1) Will it be necessary to re-run TV Setup in Windows Media Center?
2) Given that we specify the channels that we want to record series from, will we need to re-program the scheduled recordings from scratch?

Anything else that we need to keep in mind or watch out for as we make the switch?

Thanks very much.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:12 am

I can't really speak for number 1. I can just say "probably"... I am assuming you have a CableCARD and have to activate/marry it up. I have no experience with that but I'm sure others have and can chime in on their experiences.

For number 2, you definitely won't have to build your recordings from scratch. Though you may have set the recording for a specific channel, you really set it for a specific service; i.e. Syfy. So if you set a recording on Comcast Syfy channel X, and Verizon has Syfy channel Y, then the recording will work just fine. You may need manual intervention in case Comcast only had Syfy in SD while Verizon only has Syfy in HD... they are considered 2 different services. Even then, changing the recording to Any Channel and then to the new channel will work as well.

Definitely have a recommendation for you.
1) In the configuration GUI, remove the Comcast lineup and add the Verizon lineup at the same time. The stations that were common between them that you were downloading with Comcast will be selected as well for the Verizon lineup.
2) Scan the Verizon channels for any you want to add that were different from Comcast.
3) Save & Execute (assuming you have automatically import selected)
4) Once import is complete, open the client GUI
5) On the right side, select the Comcast lineup in the pull down.
6) Click the 'X' button to the right of that pull down. This will empty the contents of the Comcast lineup.
7) Select the Verizon lineup in the pull down.
8) Click the Match by: [# Number] button on the left side to populate the guide with your new Verizon channels.

Removing the Comcast lineup is important if you use the 'Automatically match...' option with your scheduled update. Since both lineups can have different stations on channel 1000, the automatch may not pick the correct one initially.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Joram

Post by Joram » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Fantastic rundown, Gary -- thanks! :thumbup:

I will print out this sequence and put it next to the WMC computer, for use on the day of the switch.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:53 pm

Joram wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:42 pm I will print out this sequence and put it next to the WMC computer, for use on the day of the switch.
Also take a snapshot of your system before you make any changes.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Joram

Post by Joram » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:21 pm

garyan2 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:12 am I can't really speak for number 1. I can just say "probably"... I am assuming you have a CableCARD and have to activate/marry it up. I have no experience with that but I'm sure others have and can chime in on their experiences.

For number 2, you definitely won't have to build your recordings from scratch. Though you may have set the recording for a specific channel, you really set it for a specific service; i.e. Syfy. So if you set a recording on Comcast Syfy channel X, and Verizon has Syfy channel Y, then the recording will work just fine. You may need manual intervention in case Comcast only had Syfy in SD while Verizon only has Syfy in HD... they are considered 2 different services. Even then, changing the recording to Any Channel and then to the new channel will work as well.

Definitely have a recommendation for you.
1) In the configuration GUI, remove the Comcast lineup and add the Verizon lineup at the same time. The stations that were common between them that you were downloading with Comcast will be selected as well for the Verizon lineup.
2) Scan the Verizon channels for any you want to add that were different from Comcast.
3) Save & Execute (assuming you have automatically import selected)
4) Once import is complete, open the client GUI
5) On the right side, select the Comcast lineup in the pull down.
6) Click the 'X' button to the right of that pull down. This will empty the contents of the Comcast lineup.
7) Select the Verizon lineup in the pull down.
8) Click the Match by: [# Number] button on the left side to populate the guide with your new Verizon channels.

Removing the Comcast lineup is important if you use the 'Automatically match...' option with your scheduled update. Since both lineups can have different stations on channel 1000, the automatch may not pick the correct one initially.
Hi, we made the switch to FiOS today (thanks @Scallica for the good advice), and I have a follow-up question.

From steps 1-8 above, I managed to download and import the database (steps 1, 2, and 3).

However, I'm not sure what you mean by the "client GUI" (step 4). I found an epgclient.exe application in the EPG123 folder, but when I double-click to open it, a CMD box opens briefly and then disappears. There is no visible indication of anything related to EPG123 running to be seen on the screen. What's the "client GUI"?

FWIW, despite having downloaded and "imported" the database, WMC still seems to think that I'm using the Comcast channel info, as that's what shows up in the program grid.

Help, what do I do?? Wife has been very patient all day, but her patience is starting to wear thin as tonight's new evening of TV recording approaches.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:36 pm

Yes, the client GUI is the epg123Client.exe program. The client program hasn't used a command shell in a very long time, so I'm not sure what you are seeing when you try and open it.

Check these out for clues:
Use the EPG123 Client shortcut from the start menu (if you installed epg123 and don't use the portable)
Right-click the epg123Client.exe file and select properties... determine what version it is
Take a look at the trace.log file to determine why it would immediately close
- Gary

Joram

Post by Joram » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:00 pm

Thanks, garyan2. Here are the results of your three suggestions:
  • There doesn't seem to be an EPG123 client shortcut in the Start menu, only one leading to the configuration GUI.
    The EPG123client.exe version, according to the Properties, is 1.0.2.
    In the trace.log file, the lines that follow activation of the configuration GUI read as follows:
epg123 is not up to date. Latest version is 1.2.5 and can be downloaded [etc.]
Token request successful. serverID: 20141201.web.X (Please let me know if I should obscure that info there!!)
Status request successful. account expires 20018-10-02 [etc/]
System status: Online , message: no known issues.
Successfully requested listing of client lineups from Schedules Direct.
Successfully retrieved the station mapping for lineup [ALPHANUMERIC CODE]
Successfully queried the Task Schedule for status: Ready. Last Run 9/24/2018 4:00:00 AM; Exit: 0x00000000

So, would I be right to assume that the solution is to download the latest version of EPG123, and if so, then will I need to repeat the database download/importation process?

Awaiting your instructions.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:28 pm

Joram wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:00 pm So, would I be right to assume that the solution is to download the latest version of EPG123, and if so, then will I need to repeat the database download/importation process?
Yes, v1.0.2 (9/2016) did not have a client GUI ... that didn't come along until v1.1.0 (2/2017). Also yes for recommending a repeat of steps 1-3.

I will now change the steps accordingly.
Once in the client GUI (step 4)
5) Select any channel on the left side and key [Ctrl-A] to select all. Right-click any selected channel and select 'Unsubscribe'
6) Make sure the pull down on the right side shows your new FiOS lineup.
7) ... skip ...
8) same. click the Match by: [# Number] button.

That is a heck of a tribute to EPG123 that you have been using the same version for 2 years without issue?
- Gary

Joram

Post by Joram » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:52 pm

Thank you, Gary.

I downloaded the new version and see that the choices in the configuration GUI are different. Before I did anything at all, as soon as I logged in to SD the new Verizon lineup showed up on the right. Also, the option to automatically import the data into WMC is grayed out. Should I proceed to download the Verizon lineup anyway, and how do I import it into WMC if that check box is grayed out?

Or, given that the schedule info is showing up in the configuration GUI, maybe I can skip the new download and go straight to the client GUI now?

Oh, and yes-it IS a heck of a tribute to EPG123 that that old version still worked... so well in fact, that I didn't realize that I needed a new version! :thumbup:

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:34 am

You have to be running with elevated privileges to change the task settings. Since you are upgrading from a very old version, you need to delete the current task and create a new one. If you click the [Delete] button, it will prompt you to run elevated. Alternatively, you can just right click the shortcut or exe file and select 'Run as administrator...'. Once you are running elevated, then the [Delete] button will not have a lock icon on it and you can then delete the current task and create a new one (with the option to automatically import selected).Once you create the new task, do a [Save & Execute].
- Gary

Joram

Post by Joram » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:24 am

OK, running with elevated privileges fixed the grayed out check box. However, every time I click on "Save & Execute," I'm now getting the following error message:

"There are no INCLUDED lineups and/or no selected channels for download."

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I got the dialog with the check box to select the needed lineup, and it tells me I already have it, then afterward I get the above message.

What am I missing?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:33 am

There is a red bubble on the tab with your FiOS lineup. Click that and change it from red (Exclude) to green (Incude).
- Gary

Joram

Post by Joram » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:51 am

Thanks, Gary. It's working (downloading) now.

Will report back when success is finally achieved, or if we run into any more issues.

Been a long, frustrating day getting everything working in the switchover to FiOS. In addition to getting the WMC system working, we needed to make sure that all the computers had Internet and that all the phone numbers we needed got included. That last one alone took a 2-hour phone call tonight as suddenly they wanted to charge us $44 for the transfer of the phone numbers, which no one had told us about before. I just finished my only meal of the day!

Joram

Post by Joram » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:04 am

UPDATE: OK, that was an exercise in frustration. The guide downloaded and installed fine... or so it seemed. I followed all the instructions, but for some reason not all the channels we are supposed to get, are showing up in the program grid. For example, local network affiliates such as ABC (channel 506) aren't in the grid. On top of everything, I had to deal with wife complaining about these omitted channels.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the client GUI that lists the channels in the right panel, yet you can see they are not listed in the left panel. In fact, the listings on the left skip from channel 504 all the way to 539, when clearly there's a whole bunch of channels in-between. Question: what exactly do I need to do, to get the channels that are in the right panel, over to the left panel???
EPG123 Lineups.png
I looked through the EPG123 manual, but didn't see how to accomplish what I need. Maybe I'm just too tired after a very long day of dealing with Verizon issues, but I will be most grateful for some clear, step-by-step instructions!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:19 am

It looks like when you ran TV Setup again, you forgot to deny the Program Guide Terms of Service. You don't have all the channels because MS/Rovi doesn't have all the channels. You have 9186 too few channels, and 15 too many lineups in your database.

You're going to need to run TV Setup again and deny the ToS.
- Gary

Joram

Post by Joram » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:02 pm

Ahh, OK. Whoops.

Amazing that Rovi wouldn't even have all the channels. :o And these channels include the local network affiliates!

So then, after denying the ToS, do I select Finish and then run through steps 1-8 above again?

Apologies for the possibly dumb questions, but this is literally the second time I've ever set up EPG123, and the only other time was 2 years ago. :)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:52 pm

Thinking about this a little more, you should probably run through a fresh install/clean start. With Rovi in your database, strange things can happen.

Use the installation guide and start with step 1 - clean start. The program will make a backup of your scheduled recordings to be restored at the end of the process. If you follow the guide, you won't need to worry about the custom steps discussed above. Depending on whether you use automatching or not, you may need to do the Match by [# Number] button.
- Gary

Joram

Post by Joram » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:31 pm

That worked like a charm. It looks like all the channels we're supposed to get are listed and tunable... and all of the scheduled recordings also made it over the hump. Wife very happy.

Thank you very much. Score another one for EPG123 and the developer's support! :clap:

:thumbup: :thumbup: