v1.2.3 Release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

v1.2.3 Release

Post by garyan2 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:27 am

Sorry. I have a quick release to address some permission problems after adapting the Program Files / ProgramData scheme as discovered here. Also added a new feature as requested here, though without the additional bells & whistles.

Now just need to wait for the ModernMedia UI+ program to get released/tested to see if EPG123 needs any adjustments.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

stefanr

Post by stefanr » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:58 am

Hi Gary,

Thank you for the quick fix - the update is working fine. One small point / observation - after install, if you try to open EPG123 as a normal user (i.e. not as an Administrator) then it doesn't run. For the first run you must open it as Administrator (I assume to allow it to set the folder permissions). Once this has been done then it will open normally. In my case I am upgrading from 1.2.2 so the folders already exist (but need extra permissions) - I'm not sure if this would apply to a clean install.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:30 am

Yah, a clean install is no problem... It does throw an exception, which I forgot to catch to log it in the event viewer... dang it. This is exactly why I was reluctant to use the Program Files / ProgramData folders in the first place. Since there was less than a dozen downloads of v1.2.3, I pulled the files and created a new version (file versions are v1.2.3.1) with the following changes.

1) The exception will be caught if the program is not run elevated when trying to add the permissions. This will be for portable installs, because...
2) The installation package was changed to run epg123.exe/epg123Client.exe when complete... this will ensure the program is run initially elevated and the permissions will be set with no fuss.
- Gary

SwissCheese

Post by SwissCheese » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:51 am

Hi

I've been running an old version of EPG123 the past year, and it has been running perfectly. =:-)

I just installed v1.2.3 today, and that went smoothly, certainly more refined than it was a year ago.

But, now every time I start WMC, an EPG123 status logo appears in the lower right corner of the screen.

Is there a way to disable the logo?
I didn't see a checkbox for it anywhere, maybe I didn't look in the right place.

I'd really rather not see the logo, I don't need or want to know the EPG status every time I sit down to watch TV
or ever for that matter.

I tried deleting EPG123status.png, and that seemed to solve the problem, but then every
time EPG123 updates the guide a new png is created.

I thought about creating a task to automatically delete the png, but decided instead
to just go back to the older version of EPG123 that doesn't create the png in the first place.

Thanks again for a great program!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:56 am

Refer to this post about getting rid of the logo. viewtopic.php?p=127838#p127838
- Gary

SwissCheese

Post by SwissCheese » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:19 am

Ah, OK, thanks.
My fault for not doing the research first.
The new install process is now so automatic that I didn't bother to look further.

Thanks again...EPG123 really is better than sliced bread!
=:-)

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:55 am

EPG123 v1.2.3 - My OCD isn't going to like any other version. :D

I've always run EPG123 from the within the Public folder and see no compelling reason to change. So I've done an in-place upgrade (first scenario) and all went fine. This does leave old output files in the root which people might want to delete.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:51 pm

I found a new "feature" I introduced in v1.2.2. :oops:

Heads up to everyone ... if you do not have a scheduled task created, the epg123 Client GUI will not show any lineups or channels. This is due to me changing the state of the Full/Client mode radio buttons based on install type. Simple fix and will be in next release.

Does anybody else see a pattern of me releasing in batches of 3? I suck at this.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:29 pm

garyan2 wrote:I found a new "feature" I introduced in v1.2.2. :oops:

Heads up to everyone ... if you do not have a scheduled task created, the epg123 Client GUI will not show any lineups or channels. This is due to me changing the state of the Full/Client mode radio buttons based on install type. Simple fix and will be in next release.

Does anybody else see a pattern of me releasing in batches of 3? I suck at this.
You fixed it in a day or so, do this for basically free and you're sorry?

THANKS!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:32 pm

Gary,

I just got around to installing v1.2.4 over v1.2.2. When I installed v1.2.2 I redid my scheduled task. Is this still necessary or is doing it under v1.2.2 good enough?

Thanks!!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:45 pm

Oops, sorry. You only needed to make a new task once with anything higher than v1.2.1 due to the change in location of the epg123.mxf file. After that, you're all good.
- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:00 pm

So I made a schoolboy error. When I deleted and recreated my task I forgot to tick the auto match box. As a result unwanted trash channels reappeared in my guide. I guess I just assumed this setting would be retained because I am so used to all my preferences carrying over whenever I upgrade. No harm done, all fixed now.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:57 pm

IT Troll wrote:So I made a schoolboy error. When I deleted and recreated my task I forgot to tick the auto match box. As a result unwanted trash channels reappeared in my guide. I guess I just assumed this setting would be retained because I am so used to all my preferences carrying over whenever I upgrade. No harm done, all fixed now.
If you had created the task from the EPG123 Configuration GUI, that would have been true. The settings are saved in the epg123.cfg file which that GUI uses. The client doesn't use the epg123.cfg file, so it has no idea what you want ... it just knows how the current task is configured.
- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:25 am

That explains it. I upgraded, launched and checked settings in EPG123 Config and saved that. I then launched and checked settings in the Client Guide Tool, and then deleted and recreated the scheduled task from there. Finally, I ran the task as a test. I was so busy checking the new file locations that I missed the fact that the box had become unticked.

TGBFAN

Post by TGBFAN » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:26 am

Upgraded from v1.2.1 to v1.2.4 on Win7. Cannot delete Scheduled Task from Config GUI or from Client. When attempting to delete from GUI, I first get a UAC prompt and when I click Yes, the program simply quits. When attempting to delete from Client, I first get a UAC prompt and when I click Yes, the Client restarts. In both cases, the Scheduled Task is not deleted.

To get the Scheduled Task updated to the new folder structure, I had to manually edit the Scheduled task directly in the Task Scheduler.

If it helps, I get the following in the Trace Log: [8/18/2018 5:44:36 PM] [ERROR] Unhandled exception caught from main program. message: The wait completed due to an abandoned mutex.

Suggestion(s)?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:30 am

Your system might be too slow and epg123 timeouts before the new instance is fired. Try to run as administrator to avoid the timeout.
- Gary

TGBFAN

Post by TGBFAN » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:53 am

Thanks for the suggestion, it worked. But my system is not too slow, and I've never had a problem deleting the scheduled task on any previous epg123 version. I'm quite sure this is a folder permissions or owner issue using the new folder structure.

I'd be happy to be a guinea pig for any other testing you might want me to do.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:56 am

Thanks. I saw this recently on my testing but chalked it up to running a virtual machine on a spinner. I'll see if I can duplicate.
- Gary