v1.2.0 Release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
IT Troll

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by IT Troll » Thu May 24, 2018 10:08 pm

garyan2 wrote:The EPG123 Client will automatically do the conversion, you don't have to recreate.
My meaning was that it would be better to fix the series once and for all, rather than rely on the conversion after each run, which might not be successful for some reason.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Thu May 24, 2018 11:38 pm

garyan2 wrote:I've tried to stay away from some type of email service but may look into it again. Just seems to be a lot of effort, and I will admit that I'm getting a bit tired.
When captain_video made his request it sparked my interest and got me thinking about a simple utility to do that... I'm going to start building a utility (for me) to determine the EPG123 update status and then send (all or a combination of) an email, text, or on-screen notification when it detects an update is available. Can it be done? I believe it can...

If you're going to implement some type of notification system, that would be great!

Even so, I'm going to tinker on my concept because it sounds interesting, peaked my curiosity, and if for no other reason... My OCD says, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can... ;)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:13 am

IT Troll wrote:
garyan2 wrote:The EPG123 Client will automatically do the conversion, you don't have to recreate.
My meaning was that it would be better to fix the series once and for all, rather than rely on the conversion after each run, which might not be successful for some reason.
Sorry, I think there is a misunderstanding. The change to the anyLanguage attribute is a one-time change and is saved. The series request is not changed every time an update happens, so it is a "once and for all" for that specific request.

Technically, this would only need to be run one time to ensure any requests from EPG123 v1.1.25 and before will still work after moving to v1.2.0 and above. Changing the attribute for any series created with v1.2.0 and above is really not necessary, but doesn't hurt anything.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri May 25, 2018 6:53 am

Yes there has. From an earlier post it sounded like recording requests were being scanned after each update rather than the Series Recordings which are the original source for the request.

So, is it the Series Recordings which is being changed and therefore all current and future recordings for that series are affected?

Sorry, just want to be certain before I jump in this time. :)
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Paint

Post by Paint » Fri May 25, 2018 2:10 pm

StinkyImp wrote:
garyan2 wrote:I've tried to stay away from some type of email service but may look into it again. Just seems to be a lot of effort, and I will admit that I'm getting a bit tired.
When captain_video made his request it sparked my interest and got me thinking about a simple utility to do that... I'm going to start building a utility (for me) to determine the EPG123 update status and then send (all or a combination of) an email, text, or on-screen notification when it detects an update is available. Can it be done? I believe it can...

If you're going to implement some type of notification system, that would be great!

Even so, I'm going to tinker on my concept because it sounds interesting, peaked my curiosity, and if for no other reason... My OCD says, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can... ;)
as others have said in this post, I recommend using changedetection.net to monitor epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/

https://www.changedetection.com/log/net ... s_log.html is a link to my monitor. Change Detection will email you whenever a new build is uploaded.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri May 25, 2018 2:11 pm

IT Troll wrote:So, is it the Series Recordings which is being changed and therefore all current and future recordings for that series are affected?
Hi IT Troll!

I went ahead and jumped in and can verify the following:

I updated from 1.1.24 on 5/23/2018...
EPG123 v1.2.0 Update.png
That evening when it ran its scheduled task, it changed the anyLanguage attribute on some of my scheduled recordings, but not all of them. This report covers from 5/22 to current and it appears that it's a one-time thing per series.
EPG123 v1.2.0 Update 2.png
I added Reverie late in the day on 5/23 and it appears that (maybe) it looks at newly added series each time it's run?

I think that's a question that garyan2 could answer.
Last edited by StinkyImp on Fri May 25, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri May 25, 2018 2:31 pm

Paint wrote:as others have said in this post, I recommend using changedetection.net to monitor epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/

https://www.changedetection.com/log/net ... s_log.html is a link to my monitor. Change Detection will email you whenever a new build is uploaded.
I'm a tinkerer and I tinker... I believe I can build a utility that will send an email, text, or screen notification (or any combination) when an update's available. As I mentioned previously, I'm doing it for me. If anyone else would like to use it, that's okay too. No pressure.

I'd liken my desire to build this like a hobbyist woodworker building a custom project for his home. He does it for himself and the satisfaction of using his own tools and hands and takes pride in the finished product. Sure he could go to a furniture store and buy something similar, but it just wouldn't have that "custom" feel. That's all I'm doing...

If everyone uses your recommendation, I encourage them to do so. :)

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:53 pm

StinkyImp wrote:
IT Troll wrote:So, is it the Series Recordings which is being changed and therefore all current and future recordings for that series are affected?
Hi IT Troll!

I went ahead and jumped in and can verify the following:

I updated from 1.1.24 on 5/23/2018...
EPG123 v1.2.0 Update.png
That evening when it ran its scheduled task, it changed the anyLanguage attribute on some of my scheduled recordings, but not all of them. This report covers from the update to current and it appears that it's a one-time thing per series.
EPG123 v1.2.0 Update 2.png
I added Reverie on 5/24 and it appears that (maybe) it looks at newly added series each time it's run?

I think that's a question that garyan2 could answer.
What are you using to parse or is this just another way to look at trace.log?

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri May 25, 2018 4:11 pm

Sammy2 wrote:What are you using to parse or is this just another way to look at trace.log?
It's a parsing utility I built for analyzing the EPG123 logfiles. Since I don't look at the logs often, when I do, they're pretty massive. I needed a way to quickly look at certain things like errors, warnings, channel adds or deletes, etc. so I built this. I've actually built a few EPG123 utilities, but they're just custom things that help me. I'm not sure they'd have much utility for anyone else.

As I mentioned a few posts above, I'm a tinkerer so I tinker... I use it a few times a week and it's helped me solve a lot of my own issues, see trends, and really drill down into the data and bring things into focus.

Here's the current interface.
EPG123 Log Parser 1.6.4A.png

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:26 pm

StinkyImp wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:What are you using to parse or is this just another way to look at trace.log?
It's a parsing utility I built for analyzing the EPG123 logfiles. Since I don't look at the logs often, when I do, they're pretty massive. I needed a way to quickly look at certain things like errors, warnings, channel adds or deletes, etc. so I built this. I've actually built a few EPG123 utilities, but they're just custom things that help me. I'm not sure they'd have much utility for anyone else.

As I mentioned a few posts above, I'm a tinkerer so I tinker... I use it a few times a week and it's helped me solve a lot of my own issues, see trends, and really drill down into the data and bring things into focus.

Here's the current interface.
EPG123 Log Parser 1.6.4A.png
Nice.. I don't have much time to tinker but tinker on a lot of things.. Vera for Home Automation, Emby, Plex, WMC a little, and then there's my $50 T-Mobile TM-AC1900 routers that have been turned into $130 Asus RT-AC68U routers by tinkering in SSH with PuTTy in my AiMesh network of four routers.. Not to mention installing a surveillance system under BlueIris. Last weekend it was an antenna install as I transition from CATV to OTA and streaming..

I haven't had a lot of time to tinker much with epg123, I look at the logs occasionally but just CNTRL F to the date I want to look at or quickly scan for ERROR and WARNG.. That is pretty cool what you've done. I guess I should look for some language changes since installing 1.2.0 earlier this week?

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri May 25, 2018 4:56 pm

Sammy2 wrote:I don't have much time to tinker but tinker on a lot of things.. Vera for Home Automation, Emby, Plex, WMC a little, and then there's my $50 T-Mobile TM-AC1900 routers that have been turned into $130 Asus RT-AC68U routers by tinkering in SSH with PuTTy in my AiMesh network of four routers.. Not to mention installing a surveillance system under BlueIris. Last weekend it was an antenna install as I transition from CATV to OTA and streaming..

I haven't had a lot of time to tinker much with epg123, I look at the logs occasionally but just CNTRL F to the date I want to look at or quickly scan for ERROR and WARNG.. That is pretty cool what you've done. I guess I should look for some language changes since installing 1.2.0 earlier this week?
You sound like me... You see something and think to yourself, "I sure wish it could do this!" and then start "tinkering". It's not that you're doing it for any type of reward, it's more for your own personal satisfaction and benefit.

I've previously installed two 10-15 camera Blue Iris systems for family members and they only paid for the parts. Saved them tons of money and they have superior surveillance systems. Tinkering for me is a compulsion that (sometimes) has a favorable outcome!

If you'd like to try out this parser, I posted a link to the download here.

Just create a directory somewhere, drop it in, and double-click on it... If you'd like to read the "Operating Guide" before going through the initial setup, it should unpack (as soon as you double-click) into the directory you put the executable in.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri May 25, 2018 9:58 pm

StinkyImp wrote:I went ahead and jumped in and can verify the following:
Thanks for that. It is reassuring to see the detail of it in action. I’ll get mine updated over the weekend.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat May 26, 2018 2:47 pm

Sorry. Since I can't seem to explain it well enough, here is the code.

Code: Select all

private static bool setSeriesRecordingRequestAnyLanguage()
{
    bool ret = false;
    foreach (Request request in new SeriesRequests(object_store))
    {
        if (!request.Complete && !request.AnyLanguage)
        {
            request.AnyLanguage = true;
            request.Update();
            Logger.WriteVerbose(string.Format("Changed \"{0}\" series recording request's 'anyLanguage' setting to TRUE.",
               request.Title));
            ret = true;
        }
    }
    return ret;
}
Speaking to the code, it will scan all the active series requests and check the anyLanguage attribute. If a series request anyLanguage attribute is FALSE, it will change it to TRUE and save/update the request. Depending on how a series request was created, the anyLanguage attribute could already be set to TRUE so no change is needed.
- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun May 27, 2018 6:05 pm

garyan2 wrote:A bit difficult to do and the big obstacle is the fact that the logo is only loaded when WMC starts; so for those that keep WMC always on, the logo would never change.
I had a bit of a play today with the concept and found the same. Doesn't matter if you change the file contents or registry setting, the logo only updates on a reload, which is a shame as this would otherwise be a simple solution. It is intriguing that the Vista4Cast managed to refresh this on the fly, but then I guess an add-in has this ability.

Idle, Active (updating), Warning, Error, Information (e.g. update available)
EPG123_Notification.jpg

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:31 pm

IT Troll wrote:
garyan2 wrote:A bit difficult to do and the big obstacle is the fact that the logo is only loaded when WMC starts; so for those that keep WMC always on, the logo would never change.
I had a bit of a play today with the concept and found the same. Doesn't matter if you change the file contents or registry setting, the logo only updates on a reload, which is a shame as this would otherwise be a simple solution. It is intriguing that the Vista4Cast managed to refresh this on the fly, but then I guess an add-in has this ability.

Idle, Active (updating), Warning, Error, Information (e.g. update available)
The attachment EPG123_Notification.jpg is no longer available
Actually, changing the file contents does work, just not immediately. I have found that reloading the home screen causes the image to be reloaded ... but not necessarily the first time. I do know it will happen eventually, though.

Thanks for your logo concepts you included. They definitely work better than mine and is the answer to my concerns for color blind users. Here was my starting point...
startMenu.PNG
startMenu.PNG (14.1 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
Microsoft says the logo size should be limited to 90x45, so I cut off the antenna to make it larger. I only changed the color, but your using of the '!' and the 'X' for warning and error are perfect. Also, I didn't even think of inverting the TV colors to be more obvious in dark themes ... which also should work fine in the default blue theme.

Based on the observed behavior, I don't think using an Idle and Active is feasible and will just use the green for "No issues". Also, I don't know how I would implement an "Update available" into the scheme. Right now, the update available is included in the Warning status... also, it would require more effort for a 'Client Only' setup to even know. Only the server side checks for the most recent version.
- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun May 27, 2018 10:11 pm

Great, that’s good news. I obviously didn’t wait long enough whilst testing. I also read the thing about 90x45 but it is not true. The source image can be much bigger and will scale to the window size / resolution. Actually the recommended resolution is a bit on the low side for 1080p.

I thought the green one might be a bit “in your face” to have on all the time. So people might prefer a more low key transparent one when everything is working fine. That would then make the other status notifications more obvious when required. I can do some more work on them if you like.

Will it be possible to implement a warning if there are less than x days of listings? Or is that also difficult in a client-only setup.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:12 pm

Okay, took a look at the STARTMENUOVERLAY.MCML resource file in Microsoft.MediaCenter.Shell.dll and the maximum size for the OEMLogo is 200x75. Exceeding either dimension will cause the image to be scaled to fit while maintaining the aspect ratio. So that's what we have to play with.

I certainly now know that my images, with the TV antenna removed, and using the maximum 75 pixel height really makes it "in your face" and would want to scale it down a bit. I'll keep working at it a bit here and try to find out what I think I want. I could certainly use your help on any finished product, but feel free to keep experimenting yourself!
- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon May 28, 2018 10:34 am

I will work on refining them some more and I am happy to adjust to whatever the final requirements are.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue May 29, 2018 11:17 pm

Just updated and the log confirms that my 119 series recordings were successfully updated for anyLanguage. :thumbup:

I note from the change log and trace log that you are now triggering a run of the PvrSchedule task. I had my own task which ran this a couple of times a day to ensure recordings were correctly scheduled. I guess I can disable that now.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:40 am

Where to check for these things? Fir any language is it only on the initial run after going to v1.2.0?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk