2018 MMC on iOS

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
RyC

HTPC Specs: Show details

2018 MMC on iOS

Post by RyC » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:00 pm

Based on the response to the poll, I suspect we will be fine using ad-hoc distribution.

Caution: this may be shut down or stop working at any time by Apple, Ceton (I doubt it), or (most likely) a future iOS update that renders the app incompatible in some way

Requirements: An iPhone or iPad running iOS 8.0 or later.

I would like to restrict registration to one iPhone and one iPad per registered user as of Jan 18, 2018 until Monday.

What you need to do:
  • Find your device UDID. If you don't know how to find your UDID, use this website: https://betafamily.com/superudid
    If you leave the browser window open on your computer, it will automatically update with your UDID information after you complete the process on your device, so you can easily copy and paste it from your computer. It will install a "profile" on your device to read the UDID, but it will automatically remove itself afterwards.
    If you're not comfortable with this method, you can use any other method to access your UDID, such as reading it from iTunes.
  • PM me the UDID and whether it's an iPhone or iPad. Please do not post it in this topic!
  • Visit https://setonsylvan.github.io/ after I PM you that your device UDID has been registered. Tapping the Install button if your UDID has not been registered will do nothing.
FYI: This is a manual process to update the IPA with UDIDs so it may take a few hours before I'm able to add your UDID. If your device UDID is not included in the IPA, the link will not install the app for you!

FAQs:
  • The app will expire some time in 2019 (date tbd once I set everything up). The app will not open with the message "my MC" Is No Longer Available. At that time, if the app is still functional, everyone will have to re-download MMC from a new link. It should install over the existing installation and leave your settings and data intact.
  • As long as your device UDID has already been registered, you can uninstall and re-install MMC from the link provided without having to re-register.
  • The UDID does not change when you update to new versions of iOS, or even when you do an Erase all Content and Settings. However, If you get rid of your device and get a new device, you will need to re-register the new UDID.
  • This is entirely free, and you don't need to include any proof of purchase.
Hopefully this will be a smooth process, I'm excited that we're able to get this app back on iOS for now.
Many thanks to Jacoats, DanITman, and bryankennedy2 who did the bulk of the work!

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:03 pm

Thanks for your efforts.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

RyC

Post by RyC » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:06 am

The first round of people have been PM'd. The app should be valid until Jan 19, 2019!

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:34 pm

RyC wrote:The first round of people have been PM'd. The app should be valid until Jan 19, 2019!
I'll need to commandeer my wife's iPhone X and do this but it won't be for a bit.

deh

Post by deh » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:48 pm

I just switched to a new iPhone and realized this problem with MMC not installing anymore. Are you still able to add users to the app you posted on github? Thanks!

RyC

Post by RyC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:42 pm

deh wrote:I just switched to a new iPhone and realized this problem with MMC not installing anymore. Are you still able to add users to the app you posted on github? Thanks!
Yes, please PM me your UUID (instructions how to find are in the first post) and I'll get you added!

Bonelaw

Post by Bonelaw » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:19 pm

This is incredible. I’ve been bummed with no great alternative since it stopped installing on new software versions. I will submit my udid soon.

bshiers82501

Post by bshiers82501 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:11 pm

Thanks for this!!! I sent you my UDID.

dgre057

Post by dgre057 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:20 am

:D This is epic!! Thank you!

sarnold51

Post by sarnold51 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:28 pm

I have felt so handicapped with out a new version. Thanks, I submitted my UDIDs

sarnold51

Post by sarnold51 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:32 pm

Thank YOU ! Sunshine on a rainy day. :clap:

shooter71

Post by shooter71 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:37 am

How are people getting the app installed on a device when it is no longer on the app store? i.e. upgrading to a new phone?

shooter71

Post by shooter71 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:50 am

Hello, I just PMd you my UDID numbers if you are still able to add people to your access. I am not yet clear on how to get the app loaded if not already on the device. my iPhone still has the app on it but does not work and my ipad does not have the app on it. Hopefully you will receive my PM with the UDID information and possibly provide details on how to get the app functional again.

Thank you to anyone that helped make this work again - even if for a short while.

ranger

Post by ranger » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:12 am

Thank you so much, I’ve tried everything to no avail. Finally success. Keep up the good work!

leggybh

Post by leggybh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:41 am

Thanks , this works great

Robra

Post by Robra » Mon May 14, 2018 5:12 am

Hi - I have been reading the various tgb forums since setting up W7 WMC to run my TVs about 4 1/2 years ago. This has been an unbelievably good place for info on the subject. These forums have guided me through resolving several issues.

This is my first post because I have run into a problem that I can't seem to find that anyone else has posted about (unless I missed it). I initially had the My Media Center app installed on my Windows phone. Like most of you I have grown quite fond of the app. About 3 years ago the company that I work for switched me from the Windows phone to an iPhone 5S. Of course, one of the first things that I did was buy and install the MMC app for IOS. It has continued to work with no issues.

However, my company will no longer provide the existing iPhone. I am being told that I need to wipe the data and turn it in. I went out and bought an iPhone 6S Plus. I was extremely disappointed that I couldn't find the My Media Center app in the Apple App Store. Because of all the special security and junk on the old iPhone relating to my company I didn't even attempt to restore everything from the old iPhone to the new one. I went with the new setup option. Other than moving my contacts over I pretty much left everything on the old iPhone.

I have been reading the forum on the Ceton/MMC issue and see that RyC and others have been chipping in to fill the void. In addition to reading this forum on this issue I've also been trying things on my own in an attempt to move the app to the new iPhone. Like many others here, one of the things that I have been doing is trying software from several third parties that have been mentioned. Well, I had just about given up when I tried iMazing. It actually created an ipa file on my PC (before this past week I thought that an ipa was just a type of beer from a micro brewery).

Once I had the ipa file I then attempted to move it to the new 6S Plus. I just about fell out of my chair when low and behold the icon was suddenly showing up on the iPhone 6S Plus! Even though the icon showed up I wasn't expecting the program to actually launch after reading many posts about only program data transferring to the new iPhones. I tapped the icon and the program actually started up (couldn't believe it).

I was able to get the program to work perfectly over home wifi but when I switched wifi off it would not connect via cell signal even though reception was good. The app continued to work perfectly on the iPhone 5S but I just couldn't connect via cell on the 6S Plus. I double checked all of the configuration settings on the iPhone as well as my PC. Everything looked fine but connection via cell was a no go.

Then, earlier today, I realized that there are normally 2 ways to connect remotely - by cell signal and also by remote wifi. I was at a relative's house about 30 miles from my home location today. I attempted to connect via the remote wifi at their house and it connected right up immediately.

There are only 2 main differences between the 2 iPhones - 1. the 5S uses Verizon and the 6S Plus uses T-Mobile and 2. the 6S Plus has a different phone number since my company will not allow me to port my old number to the new phone.

Is there something in the app that somehow ties to the phone's specific (original) phone number or IMEA ID for connecting via cell?

Any suggestions or input are appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

rliepins

Post by rliepins » Wed May 16, 2018 4:06 pm

Well, Apple in their infinite wisdom deleted the app from my iPhone because it was running out of space. I really hate Apple.

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:35 pm

The iOS 12 beta came out yesterday and I tried it out on my iPad. So far, MMC still seems to work. However, Apple is known to change things between betas and general release, so I will keep checking that MMC works. Hopefully, MMC will continue working for another major iOS version.

billmich

Post by billmich » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:38 pm

RyC wrote:The iOS 12 beta came out yesterday and I tried it out on my iPad. So far, MMC still seems to work. However, Apple is known to change things between betas and general release, so I will keep checking that MMC works. Hopefully, MMC will continue working for another major iOS version.
It doesn't work in my NEW phone, and I have started the process listed in the 1st post.

Hopefully, the app still works on my older devices. I will check when I get home

sgniwder

Post by sgniwder » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:07 pm

I set my device to unload apps and it unloaded this one and will not load it back on. It does work on the IOS 12 beta on my iPad. I have started the process list in the first post to hopefully get it back on my iPhone.