ModernMedia UI - Advanced Tweaking Utility

DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:16 pm

W10MC wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:my "high res" error came back (I was HEX editing system files to remove this message completely), I'll give your app a shot to see how well it works on this error.
I believe the hex edit only suppresses the message, but the High Resolution Support option actually keeps the value locked at 3840x2160, which prevents WMC from triggering the error. Hope it works for you!
I posted this in the other thread but, fits here better....

Last night was the first time I played with you ModernMedia UI app. Wanted to see how well it worked in my case.

So, last night I tried to enable your "High Resolution Support" Selected "On" rebooted my HTPC (as I run my HTPC at 4K) and when WMC started up, I still get the message "Your Resolution is too high for WMC" So it's not working for me. I did update it to your newest version.

And your Live TV buffer does not read the registry to show the time set. I changed it manually for 4 hours of record time (I can provide the script I use to enable larger time if needed) and after a reboot, I opened your app and it still shows 120min. The little script I have (hta file) will read the registry and show the current time set, so after I checked your App showing 120min, I opened my HTA file and it showed 4 hours set.

Just my views and my test process so far...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:05 am

DavidinCT wrote:So, last night I tried to enable your "High Resolution Support" Selected "On" rebooted my HTPC (as I run my HTPC at 4K) and when WMC started up, I still get the message "Your Resolution is too high for WMC" So it's not working for me.
From the limited feedback I have received so far, it seems that the setting does not work in all cases. Also, I suspect not many systems are running at 4K, which means fewer users are able to comment on their experience with this option.

There is a more reliable method to remove the warning, and it does not require hex editing or registry tweaks. It will be available in the upcoming ModernMedia UI+ application.
DavidinCT wrote:And your Live TV buffer does not read the registry to show the time set.
If you manually edit the registry and then open the app, you will see the changes. I'm not sure what the script you are using is actually doing, but I can confirm that the app does reflect the correct registry value.
DavidinCT wrote:Just my views and my test process so far...
Thanks for your feedback.
-Mike

Windows 10 Media Center Community
An independent project for media application development.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:03 am

W10MC wrote: From the limited feedback I have received so far, it seems that the setting does not work in all cases. Also, I suspect not many systems are running at 4K, which means fewer users are able to comment on their experience with this option.

There is a more reliable method to remove the warning, and it does not require hex editing or registry tweaks. It will be available in the upcoming ModernMedia UI+ application.
I had to roll back to a earlier version run an app.... I cant find a HEX for my version of WMC... I would be using that because it's bullet proof. WMC would never show the message EVER. I also had some minor HEX edits for some other issues as well. Too bad I cant find a fix for them.

Can you provide me the tweaks, I want to see if they work in this case ? I'm a 20+ year systems admin... I have no problem editing the registry or even creating batch files to run tasks..

W10MC wrote:
If you manually edit the registry and then open the app, you will see the changes. I'm not sure what the script you are using is actually doing, but I can confirm that the app does reflect the correct registry value.
When your editing the Live TV buffer, you should be looking at 2 fields. Not just the BackingFileDuration (where your looking at) you should be also looking at BackingFileCountHigh as well. More files mean more time. By editing both you can get 6+ hours of pause time (and it does work).

I found this out by working with someone on the actual eHome team when WMC 7 was in beta. We worked with it back and forth via email to test the results. Oh the fun time when I could pick up the phone and call someone at Microsoft and talk directly to the eHome team. I do miss the days...

I told this to someone who was a programmer who created a nice little hta file. The max setting I can go up to with his HTA is 5 hours and 20 min... and it does work.

I paused a football game, my wife dragged me out, forgot I had it on pause, got back 4 1/2 hours later. TV was still paused, rewound back to the start, watched the end of the football games and the 2 shows after it.... Trust me it works.

If you wanted to go crazy, you can go really high and get like 24 hours+ but, WMC gets very, very unstable at that point...

W10MC wrote: Thanks for your feedback.
Any time :)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

TV_MCE

Post by TV_MCE » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:55 pm

Hi W10MC,
Thank you for creating ModernMedia UI and for contributing to WMC!

I tried out ModernMedia UI v1.03 on my HTPCs running Win7 SP1. It seem that when (with WMC closed) I disable Overscan, Save and Exit, Then run WMC, do nothing, and exit it, when I check Overscan again with ModernMedia UI, it is set. The Overscan setting does not seem persistent.

Within WMC, when I go through Tasks/TV/Configure Your TV or Monitor, I set it to the full display resolution, 16:9, HDMI, with display type set to Flat Panel, so I would not expect Overscan to be enabled at all from a WMC perspective. (Flat Panels are HDTVs running at PC resolution and set to dot-to-dot mode.) Perhaps Windows now sets Overscan on slightly by default for all display types?

Space

Post by Space » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:29 pm

If you use "Flat Panel" as the type of display, then WMC will apply overscan to the image. I believe you have to use "Television" as the display type in order to have WMC not apply any overscan (because it assumes your TV will do the overscan, so WMC does not have to).

Also, see this for how to push out the UI elements back to the corners of the screen if you want to run with no overscan (Television mode in WMC and overscan turned off on your TV/flat panel).

Note that with some graphics cards you will also have to turn overscan/underscan off in the graphics card settings (I know I did with my old ATI/AMD card).

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:10 am

Version 1.1 has been released. Included is a new feature to easily change the naming format of recorded TV files. See the list of available parameters on the application page.

A setting for Maximum Resolution has also been added, and the High Resolution Support option has been removed. As previously noted, an improved method for removing the high resolution warning will be available in the upcoming application.
DavidinCT wrote:Can you provide me the tweaks, I want to see if they work in this case ?
Due to the integration of the fix, it would be better to wait a bit before it is ready to distribute. Some more work still needs to be done.
DavidinCT wrote:When your editing the Live TV buffer, you should be looking at 2 fields. Not just the BackingFileDuration (where your looking at) you should be also looking at BackingFileCountHigh as well.
The app is actually setting the value of BackingStoreEachFileDurationSeconds. This should work for any value entered, but further testing would be needed to confirm.
TV_MCE wrote:Thank you for creating ModernMedia UI and for contributing to WMC!
I appreciate your support!
TV_MCE wrote:I tried out ModernMedia UI v1.03 on my HTPCs running Win7 SP1. It seem that when (with WMC closed) I disable Overscan, Save and Exit, Then run WMC, do nothing, and exit it, when I check Overscan again with ModernMedia UI, it is set. The Overscan setting does not seem persistent.
As Space mentioned, the display type must be set to "Television" in order to disable overscan. If this is not set, the application will determine that overscan is still enabled.
-Mike

paulsaz@gmail.com

Post by paulsaz@gmail.com » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:45 am

I'm having a strange problem, installed the program to get the cc window to be clear, which works great. But now I have a problem with my remote control. The left and right arrow keys are not working, clicking them just makes the menu items go away. I am having this issue on my main MCE PC, plus the same problem on 2 XBOX 360 extenders. Any ideas on how to fix the remote issues?

paulsaz@gmail.com

Post by paulsaz@gmail.com » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:38 am

paulsaz@gmail.com wrote:I'm having a strange problem, installed the program to get the cc window to be clear, which works great. But now I have a problem with my remote control. The left and right arrow keys are not working, clicking them just makes the menu items go away. I am having this issue on my main MCE PC, plus the same problem on 2 XBOX 360 extenders. Any ideas on how to fix the remote issues?
System restore fixed the remote problem. But I'm not sure if ModernMedia is the problem, or the Windows update that also installed on 1/14/2018.

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:30 pm

paulsaz@gmail.com wrote:
paulsaz@gmail.com wrote:I'm having a strange problem, installed the program to get the cc window to be clear, which works great. But now I have a problem with my remote control. The left and right arrow keys are not working, clicking them just makes the menu items go away. I am having this issue on my main MCE PC, plus the same problem on 2 XBOX 360 extenders. Any ideas on how to fix the remote issues?
System restore fixed the remote problem. But I'm not sure if ModernMedia is the problem, or the Windows update that also installed on 1/14/2018.
The application does not change any remote/IR settings. I think the Windows update is most likely the cause of the problem. Have you tried using the app again without having the update installed?
-Mike

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:08 am

W10MC wrote:
paulsaz@gmail.com wrote:
The application does not change any remote/IR settings. I think the Windows update is most likely the cause of the problem. Have you tried using the app again without having the update installed?
Any updates to this program ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:05 am

DavidinCT wrote:Any updates to this program ?
Not at this time. However, suggestions for new options or settings to include are welcome.
-Mike

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:00 pm

This doesn't have anything to do with the tweaking program but for a quick plugin fix maybe you could look at music browser 2. It let's you navigate your music by folder structure instead of tag info like wmc. I'm pretty sure an update at some point has broken how wmp and Wmc reads tag info. All of my fully updated wmc 7 machines have a few thousand songs listed as unknown artist. At one point music browser had last.fm scrobbling and I'm pretty sure it displayed artist backdrops. It might also have video capability so you can use it to watch music videos and concerts. I don't think it would take a lot of work to repair music browser and it would be a way to spit out a quick plugin that fills a need for probably a lot of users

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:38 pm

I should have also said music browser 2 is on Google code, and I'm pretty sure it's open source

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:50 am

jachin99 wrote:This doesn't have anything to do with the tweaking program but for a quick plugin fix maybe you could look at music browser 2. It let's you navigate your music by folder structure instead of tag info like WMC. I'm pretty sure an update at some point has broken how wmp and WMC reads tag info. All of my fully updated WMC 7 machines have a few thousand songs listed as unknown artist. At one point music browser had last.fm scrobbling and I'm pretty sure it displayed artist backdrops. It might also have video capability so you can use it to watch music videos and concerts. I don't think it would take a lot of work to repair music browser and it would be a way to spit out a quick plugin that fills a need for probably a lot of users
Thanks for the info. Will definitely look into it.
-Mike

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:37 am

Maybe you could include an option to change theme files in media center themer? Im assuming your new theme will use media center theme though and I could be wrong. Either way I can't wait to check out what's next and I'm really glad someone is working on this. I plan to use WMC forever with a little bit of Kodi to fill in the gaps

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:38 am

Maybe you could include an option to change theme files in media center themer? Im assuming your new theme will use media center theme though and I could be wrong. Either way I can't wait to check out what's next and I'm really glad someone is working on this. I plan to use WMC forever with a little bit of Kodi to fill in the gaps

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:37 am

I installed this on a machine I'm rebuilding and the overscan options work great so far. It looks like this little program can do quite a bit of tweaking and it made my life easier.

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:05 am

jachin99 wrote:I installed this on a machine I'm rebuilding and the overscan options work great so far. It looks like this little program can do quite a bit of tweaking and it made my life easier.
Glad to hear!
-Mike

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Can this run on Win7?

Thanks.

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:45 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Can this run on Win7?

Thanks.
Yes, Windows 7 and later.
-Mike