Is it possible to remove rovi data without rerun of setup?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
4moreinstallstoxmas

HTPC Specs: Show details

Is it possible to remove rovi data without rerun of setup?

Post by 4moreinstallstoxmas » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:02 pm

I wont go into the whys and hows but I have epg123 running on a machine with the MS T&C's agreed. Some of the footers on the about pages are marked AMG, some of them are signed as Rovi (last line of text). Guide data extends to at least 14 days for some UK channels.
It took forever to remove scores of dud, scrambled and none working channels on the Astra 28.2 feed that I use. There are probably 20 channels listed as "ITV" and finding my regional version is a nightmare accomplished when the local programmes air in the evening.
That's my whine off my shoulders! Is there a way to clear out the Rovi data and stop WMC from using it without me having to run setup again? It takes me several hours to reorder the channels and weed out the duds that are listed.
The mxf file is modified overnight and is set to auto import.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:40 pm

4moreinstallstoxmas wrote:I wont go into the whys and hows but I have epg123 running on a machine with the MS T&C's agreed. Some of the footers on the about pages are marked AMG, some of them are signed as Rovi (last line of text). Guide data extends to at least 14 days for some UK channels.
It took forever to remove scores of dud, scrambled and none working channels on the Astra 28.2 feed that I use. There are probably 20 channels listed as "ITV" and finding my regional version is a nightmare accomplished when the local programmes air in the evening.
That's my whine off my shoulders! Is there a way to clear out the Rovi data and stop WMC from using it without me having to run setup again? It takes me several hours to reorder the channels and weed out the duds that are listed.
The mxf file is modified overnight and is set to auto import.
Short answer is no. Once you accept the T&C's, and as long as you used a valid postal code during setup and selected a guide source, that information is a part of the database with no way to back it out. That, I suppose, is the bad news.

The good news is it sounds like you are actually okay. When you see the AMG markings on the bottom of movie descriptions, and extended synopsis information from Rovi, this is expected with EPG123 and causes no harm. To tell if what you are looking at is from EPG123/SD or MS/?, scroll to the bottom of a program detail to where it identifies the language. If it says "English" it is EPG123/SD; if it says "English (Great Britain)", then that is from another source (at least this is true with Rovi guide data here in the states).
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

4moreinstallstoxmas

Post by 4moreinstallstoxmas » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:12 am

The good news is it sounds like you are actually okay. When you see the AMG markings on the bottom of movie descriptions, and extended synopsis information from Rovi, this is expected with EPG123 and causes no harm. To tell if what you are looking at is from EPG123/SD or MS/?, scroll to the bottom of a program detail to where it identifies the language. If it says "English" it is EPG123/SD; if it says "English (Great Britain)", then that is from another source (at least this is true with Rovi guide data here in the states).
[/quote]
Thank you Gary, it looks like I am in luck. "English" it is. Microsoft missed a simple trick by sticking to their 10 foot GUI. Oh to be able to click and shift to drag the order of channels. I was going to bin WMC due to the sporadic guide loss and the incorrect listings but your work has swayed me.

kansanian

Post by kansanian » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:28 am

Haven't visited in a while. ...kind of struggling with some things on the latest updates, but may post separately if still having any issues... REALLY cool to see the tool to re-map recorded TV. That would've been perfect when I first started, but oh well :) Very cool to see it now!
Wanted to chime in here first.

My experience is that the old data "ages out."

If you go to settings/tv/guide/about guide listings, then move 'right' to the actual "about" section, you would see more than 1 entry. Click "down" to view the next one, and note that you'll see newer date(s) listed, eventually. Then, in the guide itself, go as far as you can to said date, and it should still be populated.

I should also mention that you'll want to uncheck the task that Media Center uses to update its own guide data so that it can "age out" the old data.

kansanian

Post by kansanian » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:29 am

Quick reply...
Issues (mostly) sorted out. Good enough for tonight.

One thing in addition to my last post. To be sure you don't have issues with the Rovi data, be sure to go into Settings/General/Automatic Download Optsions and UNCHECK "automatically download Windows Media Center data between the following times."

Also, can confirm the data "aged out" on my system as of yesterday through today (win764). Wasn't sure of the dates before.
I have 2 lineups that MS wants to download. One for cable, one for OTA. EPG123 is handling it all with aplomb again, now.

Minor issues with the last update. Mostly good after a reboot and full refresh. Will play with it more Sunday.
Also, finally tried out the "station logos" and must say that it's very nice. Wish I'd done it sooner, but valued the stability of the older 1.x version for quite a while.

Now, on to fix it at my parent's place at some point in the near future ;)