v1.1.18 Release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

v1.1.18 Release

Post by garyan2 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:58 pm

Lots of added features in this one. I apologize in advance ... there were so many added features that my documentation is lagging. I believe the next release will just be a maintenance update where I clean up some code and get the documentation updated. I just didn't want to sit on this release waiting for the documentation to catch up.

A few things to understand with this update:
1) The server (epg123.exe) and ALL clients (epg123Client.exe) should be updated at the same time. The old 'EPG123 Lineups with Schedules Direct' lineup will no longer be visible in the new client GUI. The "new" lineups will be viewable once the server has created a new .mxf file and it is imported into the database.
2) Channel logos are now handled differently. There will no longer be a "normal" and "big" size logo. The logos should be pretty big and the sizes will be adjusted using the guide tweak settings rather than logo size. If you are using the Schedules Direct logos, simply delete all of them and allow EPG123 to redownload with the larger size.
3) Users of My Channel Logos XL should "reset" all their setting before using EPG123 tweaks... I haven't identified all the settings they use so there will be some leftover settings that can/will affect how the guide looks with the EPG123 tweaks.
  • Big Logos off
  • Channel # shown
  • Logo shown
  • callsign not shown
  • logo not centered
  • 7 guide rows
  • 2 miniguide rows
  • no 3-hour view
4) If you tweak the guide a lot before settling on what you want, you may encounter an "WMC recovered ..." notification when you open WMC and the guide listings are empty. You just need to reimport the mxf file and you're back up and running. Because of this possibility I recommend doing the tweaking when there are no recordings in progress or non expected while working on it.

http://epg123.garyan2.net/?page_id=461
WmcTweak v1.1.18.png
EDIT: Oh yeah ... Happy Holidays and BOILER UP!

EDIT 2: Added #4 above.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:14 pm

Thanks garyan2! This looks AWESOME (as usual). I can't wait to try it out!

Happy Holidays!

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:49 am

garyan2 wrote:4) If you tweak the guide a lot before settling on what you want, you may encounter an "WMC recovered ..." notification when you open WMC and the guide listings are empty. You just need to reimport the mxf file and you're back up and running. Because of this possibility I recommend doing the tweaking when there are no recordings in progress or non expected while working on it.
In my general experience of the recovery process (not specifically linked to this release), you have to open WMC and acknowledge the recovery before you can reimport and restore operation. Until then, Media Center is in a guideless limbo. After reimporting, the guide and any scheduled series recordings will be restored, but any single scheduled recordings will be lost, as will be your previous recording history (recording log is retained, but actual recording database is reset).
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks, Gary, for the new release and usage advice. And thanks to the smart GBers for their always helpful observations. As long as one RTFM, it should be relatively painless ;-)
Happy Holidays, all!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:49 pm

Just had a note of confusion identified on the tweak form. The [Default] button restores all the original WMC guide settings that EPG123 changes; the [Update] button changes the guide settings according to the form sliders and checkboxes.

So, in order to restore the guide settings to WMC defaults, you just need to click the [Default] button once.
- Gary

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:48 pm

garyan2 wrote:Just had a note of confusion identified on the tweak form. The [Default] button restores all the original WMC guide settings that EPG123 changes; the [Update] button changes the guide settings according to the form sliders and checkboxes.

So, in order to restore the guide settings to WMC defaults, you just need to click the [Default] button once.
That seemed pretty clear to me at least. I'm loving the Guide Tweaker; having too much fun playing with it. One thing I noticed, however, is if I change "Guide Row Height" to something other than "1.85X Font Height" (e.g., 2.00), it's reset to 1.85 the next time I open the Tweaker. I have screenshots of that, but I haven't compared the look of the Guide in full screen mode between the default of 1.85 and 2.00. I wonder if it's changing at all, or if the change is so subtle I'm not seeing it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

OK, definitely seeing the difference between 1.85 and 2.00, and 1.92 for that matter. The word "guide" in the upper right is not displayed when the Guide Row Height is increased past... whatever limit. Still having the problem of the setting not sticking in the Tweaker. Obviously clicking Update would then apply 1.85, thus reverting the Guide Row Height. So one would have to remember the setting or have a screenshot to refer to if using the Tweaker to update some other setting.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:08 pm

Sancho wrote:
garyan2 wrote:Just had a note of confusion identified on the tweak form. The [Default] button restores all the original WMC guide settings that EPG123 changes; the [Update] button changes the guide settings according to the form sliders and checkboxes.

That seemed pretty clear to me at least. I'm loving the Guide Tweaker; having too much fun playing with it. One thing I noticed, however, is if I change "Guide Row Height" to something other than "1.85X Font Height" (e.g., 2.00), it's reset to 1.85 the next time I open the Tweaker. I have screenshots of that, but I haven't compared the look of the Guide in full screen mode between the default of 1.85 and 2.00. I wonder if it's changing at all, or if the change is so subtle I'm not seeing it.
Thanks. I'm going to have to figure that one out. It uses the same functions and calculations after an update that it uses when the window is opened. I don't know why it is always reverting back to 1.85X. The good news is it will apply the 2.00X properly, just won't calculate it properly when the window is opened.

Yah!... more troubleshooting.

EDIT: I'm silly ... I had fixed this before, but evidently "cleaned" it up. This is due to a race condition when opening the form. Since I am reading the current configurations and setting all the slider bars, each change initiates another recalculation. Simple fix.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:17 pm

Fix is done... want a fixed version to play around with before the next release?
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:30 pm

Just a note when you're playing around with these settings - you can keep the tweak form open. I typically have WMC open when doing these experiments and when you click update, WMC will be closed, changes applies, and then WMC reopened so you can see the results.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:10 pm

Interesting note... the maximum logo size displayable in the guide, regardless of row height, is 225x75. I don't know where the limitation is coming from, but it appears the folks at MCL XL knew.

I'll adjust my automatic calculations with this limitation. Right know it only affects those settings with large font size and row height.
- Gary

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:24 pm

garyan2 wrote:Fix is done... want a fixed version to play around with before the next release?
Sure thing. Might not get to it before this evening, but I'll try it out.

I was doing the tweaks with WMC closed, then closing the Tweaker, but leaving the Client open, then launching WMC, checking, closing, re-tweaking, etc. I tried closing/re-opening the Client, then Tweaker, and even rebooting, as part of my testing, but obviously not necessary. I'll definitely try it your way the next time I use it. I've still got one HTPC I haven't updated yet.

So, once you've implemented all those changes/fixes into the test build, let me know :-)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:44 pm

Here you go (and everyone else). http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg ... t_beta.zip

I've got the fix in and adjusted the calculations for the maximum channel logo size. Understanding that, I also increased the maximum font size to 48 point instead of 36.
- Gary

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:01 pm

garyan2 wrote:Here you go (and everyone else). http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg ... t_beta.zip

I've got the fix in and adjusted the calculations for the maximum channel logo size. Understanding that, I also increased the maximum font size to 48 point instead of 36.
Just tried it. As far as the Guide Row Height goes, it's fixed. Thanks :-)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:39 pm

Just posted a new beta. This one now includes the option to disable the channel focus animations (selecting the channel column increases the font size and logo size). Disabling the animation makes the increased font size and logo size set all the time.

I overwrote the existing beta, so same link will get you the updated version. http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg ... t_beta.zip
- Gary

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:47 pm

I'm confused.

I am a MCL XL user. I do not use any logos from SD or anywhere else. I'm configured just fine as far as the alternative grid rows/columns and contents in the channel number/name/logo column.

What is the impact of this new EPG123 1.1.18 version? Am I supposed to toss MCL, to be replaced by EPG123? Do I have to? Is it optional? Can I just keep using the MCL Guide customization and not EPG123? Am I obligated to use EPG123?

I had already changed the "instant replay interval" to 12 seconds using the well documented Registry/hive hack technique, so your new WMC Tweak GUI isn't absolutely necessary. But simply having this tweak plus all the others available through this new intuitive and understandable GUI is quite a pleasure. Very nice. Except that, again, it seems to be duplicating (replacing?) what MCL does.

I'm confused.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:31 pm

DSperber wrote:I'm confused.

I am a MCL XL user. I do not use any logos from SD or anywhere else. I'm configured just fine as far as the alternative grid rows/columns and contents in the channel number/name/logo column.

What is the impact of this new EPG123 1.1.18 version? Am I supposed to toss MCL, to be replaced by EPG123? Do I have to? Is it optional? Can I just keep using the MCL Guide customization and not EPG123? Am I obligated to use EPG123?

I had already changed the "instant replay interval" to 12 seconds using the well documented Registry/hive hack technique, so your new WMC Tweak GUI isn't absolutely necessary. But simply having this tweak plus all the others available through this new intuitive and understandable GUI is quite a pleasure. Very nice. Except that, again, it seems to be duplicating (replacing?) what MCL does.

I'm confused.
Nope, you can keep on using MCL XL as you are. You don't have to use the new tool to customize anything if you don't want to. If you do want to try it, then I suggest "resetting" everything from MCL XL as I outlined in the first post prior to using it. Note that you can actually use the new tool and still use MCL XL logos as you are right now.

The new tool is much more flexible is setting the font size, number of rows, row height, and timespan so I would say it is superior to MCL XL in that respect. MCL XL still offers the ability to change the order of the channel number, call sign, and logo as well as offers some very nice station logos. I haven't done this yet, but I intend on selecting the station logos I prefer between SD and MCL XL (big logos) and using that in the guide.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:10 am

Just uploaded a new client beta. This adds scaling of the HD logo and left/right chevrons for a better look. Now just need to figure out where to adjust/change the horizontal spacing of the program cells for different font sizes (second image).
VirtualBox_Windows 7 (32-bit)_29_12_2017_17_52_33.png
12pt font, 2X height, medium logo, 22 rows, 240 minute span, remove animations, hide details
VirtualBox_Windows 7 (32-bit)_29_12_2017_17_57_40.png
48pt font, 1.5X height, large logo, 7 rows, 60 minute span, remove animations, hide number, hide details
- Gary

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:15 am

garyan2 wrote:Just posted a new beta. This one now includes the option to disable the channel focus animations (selecting the channel column increases the font size and logo size). Disabling the animation makes the increased font size and logo size set all the time.

I overwrote the existing beta, so same link will get you the updated version. http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg ... t_beta.zip
Sounds good, but I love the channel focus animation. It seems to be working more consistently for me now, though maybe I wasn't paying too close attention previously. Maybe the new logo system...? Anyway, it's all good. I'll replace the existing clients with the new beta, though I'm pretty happy with my three setups.

One thing I noticed on my third HTPC before updating was that the text for each cell was centered relative to top and bottom, but now it's not. I assume that's an effect of whatever tweaks I did, but I see it's that way in your screenshot in the first post of this thread. I'm not that OCD, so I'll only pull out a few hairs... kidding, but thought I'd mention it, as it caught my eye.

Thanks again, as always. .... annnnnnnnnd more to play with even as I was typing that reply. Wonder which beta I just downloaded ;-)

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:03 am

garyan2 wrote:Just uploaded a new client beta. This adds scaling of the HD logo and left/right chevrons for a better look. Now just need to figure out where to adjust/change the horizontal spacing of the program cells for different font sizes (second image).
VirtualBox_Windows 7 (32-bit)_29_12_2017_17_52_33.png
VirtualBox_Windows 7 (32-bit)_29_12_2017_17_57_40.png
Is there a link to it? The previous link downloads clients with time stamps of 5:50 PM.

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:38 am

garyan2 wrote:Nope, you can keep on using MCL XL as you are. You don't have to use the new tool to customize anything if you don't want to. If you do want to try it, then I suggest "resetting" everything from MCL XL as I outlined in the first post prior to using it. Note that you can actually use the new tool and still use MCL XL logos as you are right now.

The new tool is much more flexible is setting the font size, number of rows, row height, and timespan so I would say it is superior to MCL XL in that respect. MCL XL still offers the ability to change the order of the channel number, call sign, and logo as well as offers some very nice station logos. I haven't done this yet, but I intend on selecting the station logos I prefer between SD and MCL XL (big logos) and using that in the guide.
I will experiment with this, and probably come to love the additional capabilities over MCL's Guide options.

One point that should be made is that WMC has a "complete set of settings" for not only the main HTPC-based display, but also for each extender which are really separate remote desktops. So the new GUI option to, for example, change the instant replay interval... well, I assume you've done that strictly for the main HTPC-based user. However each of the extenders are not affected by this, as it is a completely separate Registry hive for each extender.

I would imagine the same is true for the Guide rows/columns etc., but I don't know that for sure.

Bottom line: though it might not be a trivial enhancement, it might be very useful if the new WMC Tweaks GUI supported selecting particular extenders from a dropdown list. They each have logical internal names by which they're displayed on WMC, as configured by the user in the individual extender setup, as well as their external physical Windows remote desktop name as appears in "C:\Users".