Introducing EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
romperroom

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by romperroom » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Finally got it working like it should. Of course part of it was user error! Fiddled around with settings a bit and everything is working as it should... Yay! Just sent you a donation as I finally got on the bandwagon after using your program for quite a while now. Sorry for how long it took but better late than never! Besides, us AZ homies gots ta stick together! lol
Thanks again for all the work on this program and the support you give everyone!

dkm

Post by dkm » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:32 am

garyan2 wrote:
dkm wrote:New feature for that settings screen - Option to show/hide channel numbers in the guides. Personally I do not use channel numbers, I organize my guide alphabetically by name.
Do you not use logos, then?
Sorry for the late reply, been off the internet due to the holidays.

I do use logos. They are the only thing in the first column of my guide. Since I never tune directly by channel number, and only through the guide, I don't need to know CBS is channel 1, etc. I also don't need to see "WXYZ" or whatever the callsign is next to the logo, since that is usually either duplicate information (WCBS is CBS) or confusing (WXYZ is NBC). The callsign is still tracked in the back end, I can get to it if I edit the channel in the guide, as that is what is actually sorted on when I sort alphabetically.

Update - I see the feature in the latest tweak utility. Thank you!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:02 am

dkm wrote:
garyan2 wrote:
dkm wrote:New feature for that settings screen - Option to show/hide channel numbers in the guides. Personally I do not use channel numbers, I organize my guide alphabetically by name.
Do you not use logos, then?
Sorry for the late reply, been off the internet due to the holidays.

I do use logos. They are the only thing in the first column of my guide. Since I never tune directly by channel number, and only through the guide, I don't need to know CBS is channel 1, etc. I also don't need to see "WXYZ" or whatever the callsign is next to the logo, since that is usually either duplicate information (WCBS is CBS) or confusing (WXYZ is NBC). The callsign is still tracked in the back end, I can get to it if I edit the channel in the guide, as that is what is actually sorted on when I sort alphabetically.

Update - I see the feature in the latest tweak utility. Thank you!
Quite all right. I'm strictly OTA here, so my question was along those lines that the WQRK call signs don't mean anything at all and sorting by name has no benefit. Nevertheless, I implemented your request and actually like the look of it very much. I didn't think I would, but it grew on me pretty quickly.

You can pick up the new version of EPG123 with the new tool and give it a go. There is also an active beta version of the client tool with some improvements located here (http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg ... t_beta.zip).
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

PeteS457

Post by PeteS457 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:17 pm

garyan2 wrote:
dkrom wrote:I'd like to incorporate the logos that epg123 downloads, but I don't have My Channel Logos - how do you go about adding them without My Channel Logos? I've scoured the internet and have yet to find directions, but the directions for epg123 say that it's possible. I have no qualms editing files, the registry, etc.
I download the logos linked by Schedules Direct and place them in a sub-folder \sdlogos. From there, you can take any of the logos and edit them for size, aspect, and even color to make it look good in the guide. Once you are done, all you have to is place the finished logo and place it in a different sub-folder \logos. The logo must be a .png and the name must be the call sign of the station it is for.

The MCL website defines how to make the logos look right here. The takeaway from their instruction is:

Code: Select all

Size
42 px tall by 96 px wide for regular logos. 75 px tall by 225 px wide for big logos
If your logo is not wide enough: Do not center a blank space. Cut the width down so it just fits the logo. No padding!
If your logo is not tall enough: Center the logo vertically in a transparent 42 x 96 pixel background (or 75x225px background)

The next time a MXF file is created, it will use the logos in the .\logos folder if you have the option selected.
I'm new to epg123, still on 7 day trial so trying to evaluate as much as possible as quickly as I can with the trial time restraint. If I edit a logo and replace the logo in .\logos, I'd like to see as soon as possible how it looks in the guide. You state above that the next time a MXF file is created, I can see the result of the new logo being inserted. Is the MXF file created only when the Scheduled Task is run (overnight in my case)? Can I expedite this, like in MCL? (I remember with MCL, I can change the logo, hit a button (I think), close WMC, reopen it, and it was there. It took 2 minutes or less. Can this be done?)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:35 pm

PeteS457 wrote:I'm new to epg123, still on 7 day trial so trying to evaluate as much as possible as quickly as I can with the trial time restraint. If I edit a logo and replace the logo in .\logos, I'd like to see as soon as possible how it looks in the guide. You state above that the next time a MXF file is created, I can see the result of the new logo being inserted. Is the MXF file created only when the Scheduled Task is run (overnight in my case)? Can I expedite this, like in MCL? (I remember with MCL, I can change the logo, hit a button (I think), close WMC, reopen it, and it was there. It took 2 minutes or less. Can this be done?)
EPG123 is a little different than MCL with this in that instead of pointing to the image file on a drive, EPG123 actually embeds the image in the MXF file. The same MXF file can then be imported into an infinite number of media centers and they will all have the same logos.

To make it happen immediately(ish), you need to perform a Save&Execute to update the MXF file with the new logo and to import into the database.
- Gary

PeteS457

Post by PeteS457 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:09 pm

Ugghhh...that's what I was afraid of. I did a Save&Execute manually and yes, I saw the logos I had replaced, but they still needed tweaking as I learn how to improve them with gimp, etc. So this is a process. And a Save&Execute (in my case), takes 10-15 minutes each time.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:52 am

PeteS457 wrote:Ugghhh...that's what I was afraid of. I did a Save&Execute manually and yes, I saw the logos I had replaced, but they still needed tweaking as I learn how to improve them with gimp, etc. So this is a process. And a Save&Execute (in my case), takes 10-15 minutes each time.
You can shorten the time by copying the exe files, your config file, and your logos folder to another directory and change the number of days to download to 1 day. Run from there.
- Gary

PeteS457

Post by PeteS457 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:17 pm

OK. That makes sense now that I know what goes into a MXF file. I had my number of days to download set to 21 so that's why it was taking so long. If I copy the files you indicated and run it from another directory with it fetching only one days' guide info, it will run quicker and I assume automatically load it into the guide from there for testing purposes. When I get the logos like I want, I can remove the directory and run Save&Execute from the original directory to restore the 21 day guide info and it will run as a scheduled task overnight to keep it up to date. If this is incorrect, please correct me. Thanks very much.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:38 pm

Welcome to epg123. I've been using it since early beta in March or April 2016 and couldn't be happier!

Just a little suggestion, if you like it too, slip Gary a couple bucks to take his kids out for ice cream!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:07 am

PeteS457 wrote:OK. That makes sense now that I know what goes into a MXF file. I had my number of days to download set to 21 so that's why it was taking so long. If I copy the files you indicated and run it from another directory with it fetching only one days' guide info, it will run quicker and I assume automatically load it into the guide from there for testing purposes. When I get the logos like I want, I can remove the directory and run Save&Execute from the original directory to restore the 21 day guide info and it will run as a scheduled task overnight to keep it up to date. If this is incorrect, please correct me. Thanks very much.
I would note that you need to copy the logo into the production epg123\logos folder. If you don't, then the logo will revert back to a previous logo that is there.
- Gary

swinn

Post by swinn » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:28 am

garyan2, can you add an option to center the logos in the tweak section?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:20 pm

swinn wrote:garyan2, can you add an option to center the logos in the tweak section?
Done... next update.
- Gary

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:27 pm

garyan2 wrote:Done... next update.
:D Can you make it so we can update only the icons without having to perform "Save and Execute" after we create custom icons to drop in the "logos" folder?

Obligatory -> Pretty Please?

PS - If this is already possible, please disregard.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:14 am

StinkyImp wrote:
garyan2 wrote:Done... next update.
:D Can you make it so we can update only the icons without having to perform "Save and Execute" after we create custom icons to drop in the "logos" folder?

Obligatory -> Pretty Please?

PS - If this is already possible, please disregard.
I hate to so "no", especially with such a persuasive request! But I will say "no" for right now for the simple fact that MCL XL can do that for you and it is now Freeware! You'll be able to take your custom logos and check them out quickly with it before making it final in the .\logos folder.

http://www.mychannellogos.com/
- Gary

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:08 am

garyan2 wrote:I will say "no" for right now for the simple fact that MCL XL can do that for you and it is now Freeware!
TIL, I remember seeing somewhere that TunerSalad had become freeware, but didn't know about MCL XL.

I really like that EPG123 is becoming more than just a guide updater... You're making it into the Swiss Army Knife for WMC (and for that I'm grateful)!

Space

Post by Space » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:39 pm

StinkyImp wrote:
garyan2 wrote:I will say "no" for right now for the simple fact that MCL XL can do that for you and it is now Freeware!
TIL, I remember seeing somewhere that TunerSalad had become freeware, but didn't know about MCL XL.

Me neither! Is there a way to download and archive all the logos for the different regions (which I assume are also now free) in case the website is taken down at some point in the future?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:49 pm

Space wrote:Me neither! Is there a way to download and archive all the logos for the different regions (which I assume are also now free) in case the website is taken down at some point in the future?
He just got the website updated last night to stay (evidently had problems) for the free download of MCL XL.

Yes, when you install MCL XL, it will download for your current region. You can the change the region in the GUI and download logos for that region (Check for logo updates button). Rinse & Repeat for all the regions and you will have all the logos in C:\ProgramData\MyChannelLogos\Logos folder.
- Gary

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:24 pm

Truly amazing, Gary. I hadn't even looked at this thread for a year until my setup puked recently. When I did the re-install yesterday, I was shocked at how you've simplified everything and even added tweaking options. Hurray.

I do have one question though, I ran through setup once (right after the clean install of Windows 8.1) and the tuner config tool worked perfectly- 9 tuners as it should be (Ceton Infinitv PCIe6 + 1 HDHomerun Prime). Everything worked but then I was a dummy and ended up re-running through setup...now, no matter what I do, I'm stuck with 4 tuners, like some lame-o. I've tried running through setup multiple times but each time WMC reports that 4 is my limit. Does anyone have a suggestion? I even tried re-installing the Ceton Infinitv driver to see if their tool would work.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Embiggens wrote:Truly amazing, Gary. I hadn't even looked at this thread for a year until my setup puked recently. When I did the re-install yesterday, I was shocked at how you've simplified everything and even added tweaking options. Hurray.

I do have one question though, I ran through setup once (right after the clean install of Windows 8.1) and the tuner config tool worked perfectly- 9 tuners as it should be (Ceton Infinitv PCIe6 + 1 HDHomerun Prime). Everything worked but then I was a dummy and ended up re-running through setup...now, no matter what I do, I'm stuck with 4 tuners, like some lame-o. I've tried running through setup multiple times but each time WMC reports that 4 is my limit. Does anyone have a suggestion? I even tried re-installing the Ceton Infinitv driver to see if their tool would work.
Use the client Tweak WMC window to increase the tuner limit. Close the client and then open WMC and perform the TV Setup. You should have all tuners again during setup. You will then have to manually perform Step 3 (EPG123 Configuration GU, Save & Execute) to get your guide back in.

For the next release, I have beefed up the client setup routine a bit to hopefully be more reliable in increasing the tuner limit. In this case, timing is everything and if I apply the increase too soon, it will very quickly disappear due to WMC getting "updated" from mother MS.
- Gary

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:16 pm

Just an FYI... I've been running EPG123 since 1.0.0 or 1.0.1? Either way, it's been a long time. My log files span 581 days (1 year, 7 months, 4 days) and have almost 44,000 lines of data. I thought it would be interesting to see how many errors were generated in all that time.

This, my friends, is a testament to the integrity and dependability of EPG123 (and to garyan2's skills).

Interesting facts:
  • 62 Total errors (To my understanding, none are attributable to EPG123).
  • 25 of those errors were duplicated on 10/19/2017 (meaning there were only 37 errors in total).
  • Only 12 errors have occurred during 2018 (and one of those was mine).
  • There have been NO ERRORS since June 5th (96 days or 3 months, 4 days).

Code: Select all

EPG123 Log Parser (and Report Generator)
Report Created on 09/08/2018 at 06:15:30
================================================================
     1 [2/5/2017 9:11:26 AM] [ERROR] SD API Unknown exception thrown. Message: Error creating the Web Proxy specified in the 'system.net/defaultProxy' configuration section.
     2 [2/5/2017 9:11:26 AM] [ERROR] Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for a version check.
     3 [2/5/2017 9:35:32 AM] [ERROR] SD API WebException Thrown. Message: The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request. , Status: ProtocolError
     4 [2/5/2017 9:35:32 AM] [ERROR] SD responded with error code: 4102 , message: No lineups have been added to this account. , serverID: 20141201.web.2 , datetime: 2017-02-05T16:35:34Z
     5 [2/5/2017 9:35:32 AM] [ERROR] Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for a client lineup listings.
     6 [2/13/2017 10:03:16 AM] [ERROR] SD API Unknown exception thrown. Message: Error creating the Web Proxy specified in the 'system.net/defaultProxy' configuration section.
     7 [2/13/2017 10:03:16 AM] [ERROR] Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for a version check.
     8 [2/17/2017 2:00:14 AM] [ERROR] TMDb API WebException thrown. Message: The remote name could not be resolved: 'api.themoviedb.org' , Status: NameResolutionFailure
     9 [2/22/2017 2:05:16 AM] [ERROR] SD API WebException Thrown. Message: The operation has timed out , Status: Timeout
    10 [2/22/2017 2:12:02 AM] [ERROR] SD API WebException Thrown. Message: The operation has timed out , Status: Timeout
    11 [2/23/2017 2:02:32 AM] [ERROR] SD API WebException Thrown. Message: The operation has timed out , Status: Timeout
    12 [2/23/2017 2:10:20 AM] [ERROR] SD API WebException Thrown. Message: The operation has timed out , Status: Timeout
    13 [4/10/2017 2:00:15 AM] [ERROR] TMDb API WebException thrown. Message: The remote name could not be resolved: 'api.themoviedb.org' , Status: NameResolutionFailure
    14 [4/10/2017 2:00:28 AM] [ERROR] Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for a token request.
    15 [4/10/2017 2:00:28 AM] [ERROR] Failed to retrieve Token from Schedules Direct. Exiting.
    16 [6/11/2017 01:01:43PM] [ERROR] Cannot perform runtime binding on a null reference
    17 [7/9/2017 2:01:16 AM] [ERROR] A program recording is currently in progress. Aborting the mxf file import.
    18 [7/29/2017 2:00:01 AM] [ERROR] Failed token request. code: 3000 , message: Server offline for maintenance. , datetime: 2017-07-29T09:00:12Z
    19 [7/29/2017 2:00:01 AM] [ERROR] Failed to retrieve token from Schedules Direct. message: Failed token request. code: 3000 , message: Server offline for maintenance. , datetime: 2017-07-29T09:00:12Z
    20 [8/12/2017 2:00:11 AM] [ERROR] SD API WebException Thrown. Message: The remote name could not be resolved: 'json.schedulesdirect.org' , Status: NameResolutionFailure
    21 [8/12/2017 2:00:11 AM] [ERROR] Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for a token request.
    22 [8/12/2017 2:00:11 AM] [ERROR] Failed to retrieve token from Schedules Direct. message: Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for a token request.
    23 [8/18/2017 2:00:23 AM] [ERROR] SD API WebException Thrown. Message: The remote name could not be resolved: 'json.schedulesdirect.org' , Status: NameResolutionFailure
    24 [8/18/2017 2:00:23 AM] [ERROR] Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for a token request.
    25 [8/18/2017 2:00:23 AM] [ERROR] Failed to retrieve token from Schedules Direct. message: Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for a token request.
    26 [10/19/2017 2:00:31 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    27 [10/19/2017 2:00:31 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    28 [10/19/2017 2:00:31 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    29 [10/19/2017 2:00:31 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    30 [10/19/2017 2:00:31 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    31 [10/19/2017 2:00:31 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    32 [10/19/2017 2:00:31 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    33 [10/19/2017 2:00:31 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    34 [10/19/2017 2:00:31 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    35 [10/19/2017 2:00:31 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    36 [10/19/2017 2:00:31 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    37 [10/19/2017 2:00:32 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    38 [10/19/2017 2:00:32 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    39 [10/19/2017 2:00:32 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    40 [10/19/2017 2:00:32 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    41 [10/19/2017 2:00:32 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    42 [10/19/2017 2:00:32 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    43 [10/19/2017 2:00:32 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    44 [10/19/2017 2:00:32 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    45 [10/19/2017 2:00:32 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    46 [10/19/2017 2:00:33 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    47 [10/19/2017 2:00:33 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    48 [10/19/2017 2:00:33 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    49 [10/19/2017 2:00:33 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    50 [10/19/2017 2:00:33 AM] [ERROR] Did not find expected Md5Schedule file in cache directory.
    51 [2/19/2018 4:37:14 AM] [ERROR] There are no tuners associated with  41.1 : KPDF-HD - 37C = { (41.1 : KPDF-HD - 2B8) + [ ] } . Deleting channel.
    52 [3/2/2018 12:15:20 AM] [ERROR] SD API WebException Thrown. Message: The remote name could not be resolved: 'json.schedulesdirect.org' , Status: NameResolutionFailure
    53 [3/2/2018 12:15:20 AM] [ERROR] Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for a token request.
    54 [3/2/2018 12:15:20 AM] [ERROR] Failed to retrieve token from Schedules Direct. message: Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for a token request.
    55 [3/18/2018 12:15:38 AM] [ERROR] SD API WebException Thrown. Message: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive. , Status: ReceiveFailure
    56 [3/18/2018 12:15:38 AM] [ERROR] Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for a token request.
    57 [3/18/2018 12:15:38 AM] [ERROR] Failed to retrieve token from Schedules Direct. message: Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for a token request.
    58 [3/22/2018 8:01:12 AM] [ERROR] There are no tuners associated with  36.4 : KAZTCD4 - 46C46D = { (36.4 : KAZTCD4 - 46C468) + [ ] } . Deleting channel.
    59 [4/23/2018 3:49:18 AM] [ERROR] The operation was canceled by the user
    60 [6/5/2018 12:15:08 AM] [ERROR] SD API WebException Thrown. Message: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. , Status: ProtocolError
    61 [6/5/2018 12:15:08 AM] [ERROR] Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for a token request.
    62 [6/5/2018 12:15:08 AM] [ERROR] Failed to retrieve token from Schedules Direct. message: Did not receive a response from Schedules Direct for a token request.

===== QUERY INFORMATION (Predefined) ===========================
File Name:		OK_TO_DELETE_Merged Log
Search String:		[ERROR]
Date Range:		02/05/2017 thru 09/08/2018
Total results found:	62
Query time:		56 seconds

===== GENERAL INFORMATION ======================================
Total lines processed:	43845
Logfile timespan:	2/5/2017 thru 9/8/2018
I have upgraded to every version (with very few exceptions) and have found EPG123 to be a reliable, stable, and trustworthy workhorse for WMC's guide. I have no misgivings or regrets about dumping Microsoft/Rovi for my guide data.

Hats off to EPG123 and garyan2! :clap: :clap: :clap: