HD preferred not available

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
technodevotee

HTPC Specs: Show details

HD preferred not available

Post by technodevotee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:09 am

Hope someone can help with this as I been searching for the answer for ages now.

On my main Media Center PC, which has two Hauppauge Win TV DVB-S2 cards, I get the options Any channel, HD only, SD only, HR preferred, etc. when adding a recording.

On my second Media Center PC, which has a Hauppauge Win TV Quad HD DVB-T2 card, I only get Any channel, etc. when adding a recording.

Now that I'm using (the undeniably brilliant) EPG123, both PCs show the HD symbol in the listings. On the Main PC, there is an HD Channels option in the search feature but on the second PC, there is NO HD Channels option on the search feature

If I import a scheduled recording with the HD preferred option set from the main PC into the second PC using the (equally brilliant) transfer tool, it shows as HD preferred but if I edit and save it, I lose the option.

I've reinstalled WMC several times on this PC, going through the setup from scratch each time. I've gone though all the settings comparing them side by side and compared the registry entries but can't find any differences.

Any ideas please?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:05 pm

I could be way off here and it's been a while since I used DVB-T2 in Media Center...

I have a feeling that Media Center doesn't really know the difference between DVB-T and DVB-T2 - that may be related somehow? No DVB-T2 cards were available when Media Center was created if I remember correctly.

I'm sure that Media Center does have knowledge of the difference between DVB-S versus DVB-S2 however as I used to tweak something during the beta builds (of the TVPack I think). I also used to have to use the Hauppauge DVB-S2 patch in order to get the HD channels to work.

Does anybody else using just DVB-T/T2 signals get the HD preferred option?

What about folks who receive HD signals via DVB-T - do they get the option? (some parts of Europe do / used to get HD over DVB-T I believe)?

Out of interest, have you used Freeview guide data in EPG123 on the PC containing the DVB-T2 card? What happens if you assign it Freesat guide data in EPG123 for a test instead?

Somebody will come along and correct me no doubt!
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:44 pm

I put the DVB-S2 Cards in the one that has the DVB-T2 card and it showed HD preferred until I refitted the DVB-T2 card and reconfigured WMC. I didn't make any changes other than using the patch to get HD working as you say.

AFAIK the patch only affects the behaviour of the driver and not WMC so I assume Media Center decides what signals are available when it scans for channels.

Being as it works with DVB-S2, I'd hoped it would work with DVB-T2 but as you say, Terrestrial HD wasn't available when Media Center was being maintained.

I wonder if there are flags set on the channels in the database?

Edit: I think the HD TV category on the left hand side of the guide may be something I put there so that is a red herring.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:12 am

In the lineup backup files, there is a flag for each channel "isHDCapable" which sounds like all yours may be false. Have you tried using Guide Editor? I believe it gives you access to that flag for each channel that you can toggle yourself.

Just a suggestion ... it may help.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:39 pm

Yeah, I'd already tried that thanks Gary.

Unfortunately, all the HD ones are set as HD but I'm pretty sure there must be something in the database but I can't find it.

I've been through the registry and progragramdata\ehome of the two systems and can't find anything that helps.

Space

Post by Space » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:25 am

No solution but it may provide additional info regarding this issue:

http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=20106

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:21 am

Thanks Space.

I hadn't come across that and it certainly goes some way to understanding the problem.