WMC/EPG123 quit working

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
jimmyv

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC/EPG123 quit working

Post by jimmyv » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:21 pm

I've been using EPG123 to load SD listings to my WMC Guide since March and it has worked very well.
Yesterday, WMC wouldn't start, the screen would flash then it was gone.
Checking the net, it was suggested I remove the .db file from eHome which I did.
WMC then started and we were able to watch stuff we'd recorded previously, but, the guide was gone.
So, today, I've done a fresh set-up, and gone through the EPG123 set-up several times, but, the Guide shows no data.
Why isn't the Guide populating with SD listings?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:19 pm

jimmyv wrote:I've been using EPG123 to load SD listings to my WMC Guide since March and it has worked very well.
Yesterday, WMC wouldn't start, the screen would flash then it was gone.
Checking the net, it was suggested I remove the .db file from eHome which I did.
WMC then started and we were able to watch stuff we'd recorded previously, but, the guide was gone.
So, today, I've done a fresh set-up, and gone through the EPG123 set-up several times, but, the Guide shows no data.
Why isn't the Guide populating with SD listings?
Please post the EPG123 log.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

jimmyv

Post by jimmyv » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:31 pm

Scallica wrote: Please post the EPG123 log.
Attached.
EPG123 seems to run fine. I even tried running LoadMXF manually and it created a new .db file in the programdata\microsoft\ehome directory, but, still nothing shows up in the guide in WMC
Hum - it said "extension log not allowed" so I renamed it .txt, It said that's not allowed either, I tried without extension, that's not allowed either, finally I zipped it using 7-zip. Think it attached
Attachments
trace.7z
EPG123 trace.log zipped with 7-zip
(22.48 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Since you deleted the database, you have to rematch the listings with the merged channels. Open the epg123Client and click the Automatch by: [# Number] button.

If this happens again, I suggest using the [Rebuild WMC Database] button on the client GUI. Everything would have been back up and running in no time.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

jimmyv

Post by jimmyv » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:47 pm

garyan2 wrote:Since you deleted the database, you have to rematch the listings with the merged channels. Open the epg123Client and click the Automatch by: [# Number] button.

If this happens again, I suggest using the [Rebuild WMC Database] button on the client GUI. Everything would have been back up and running in no time.
Thanks - doing the Automatch by # then running Rebuild WMC Database did it - I'd tried Rebuild before but not Automatch. Now my schedule is fine.
Unfortunately, I'll have to rebuild my recordings schedule again.

Is there a way to save a recordings schedule so it doesn't have to be manually rebuilt when WMC has to be set up again?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Depending on everything you did from the time of deleting the db file, there are a couple places your recordings might be saved.

1) a zip file in the epg123\backup folder "backups_yyyyMMdd_hhmmss.zip". This is created every time you do a Step 1 - Clean Start.
2) a file without extension in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepgX-Y\backup\recordings. There may be multiple mcepgX-Y folders to check. You'll want the latest.

The files are simply text and can be opened in notepad to view the contents. They can also be opened in the EPG123 Transfer Tool to view the contents if you installed it.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

jimmyv

Post by jimmyv » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:01 pm

garyan2 wrote:Depending on everything you did from the time of deleting the db file, there are a couple places your recordings might be saved.

1) a zip file in the epg123\backup folder "backups_yyyyMMdd_hhmmss.zip". This is created every time you do a Step 1 - Clean Start.
2) a file without extension in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepgX-Y\backup\recordings. There may be multiple mcepgX-Y folders to check. You'll want the latest.

The files are simply text and can be opened in notepad to view the contents. They can also be opened in the EPG123 Transfer Tool to view the contents if you installed it.
I see the back-up files in both places. Where do I move them to?
My recordings still show up and work in MCE - what I need to recover is the schedule of future recordings.

Looking at the XML data in these files, it appears the "Listings" file is what channels I'm getting guide info for and maybe the layout of their logo?
The "Recordings" file must be the list of scheduled recordings - unfortunately all three of those in the backup folder only have:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<MXF />
So I guess my list was lost before this.
The third file "Subscriptions" appears to have web channels or something I don't use.
Bummer.