Channels missing

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
nairnmonster

HTPC Specs: Show details

Channels missing

Post by nairnmonster » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi,

Having a nightmare. So, I have a custom lineup which has worked for sometime without issue. Even had it set to stop updating for new channels.

But today, channel 1 to 6 have disappeared from the guide, they do not feature on edit channels either. It's like they just vanished.

If I use guide-tool, it give the same information as above. I tried a database rebuild but no luck.

I tried a single transponder scan but it shows no channels on the frequencies because in the MCE database, I guess the channels are already there.

I think I will have to start clean for this to work, but hoping there is a fix to resolve this.

Any help would be great.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
A snip of my guide showing 1-6 missing.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:56 am

There's only 1 method I have found to "recover" a deleted/hidden channel. It works for OTA so it might work for satellite as well. Go to settings->TV->Tv Signal->Scan for More Channels and click the [Delete All] button. This will empty all your scanned channels from the database to include these dead channels. Once done, click the [Scan again] button. This of course might as well be a from scratch setup ... you will lose all your customization (custom call signs and channel numbers) and your assigned listings for each channel.

If possible, can you manually add a missing channel in WMC (settings->TV->Guide->Add Missing Channels)? If not, you can try Guide Editor to add a DVB channel.

Curious ...
1) Did you delete the channels using EPG123 or Guide Editor?
2) What program did you use to attach the guide listings to those channels? EPG123/Guide Tool/Guide Editor/WMC (any, all, something else)
3) What was your guide source for those channels? EPG123/EPG Collector/...

Reasons ...
1) I ask because once you delete a channel it cannot be "scanned" back in. It already exists in the database but is marked as delected and disassociated from the tuner.

2) I ask because depending on how the listings were attached to the channel, it might cause problems for number 3. Each channel will initially be associated to at least 1 lineup (the scanned lineup). When you attach a listing, the channel gets associated with that listings lineup as primary. EPG123, when subscribing to a listing, will ensure that the channel keeps the scanned lineup as secondary. This way, if the listing disappears, it will fall back to the scanned lineup and stay visible. Other tools may replace the scanned lineup for the channel so if the listings disappear that channel is no longer associate with any lineups and will no longer be visible/available.

3) I ask because depending on number 2, if the source listings was no longer part of the imported lineup, then that is probably what initiate the whole mess.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:20 am

I've a similar problem on my PC with satellite cards as well although it was only a couple of channels that went missing for me.

I've had a similar issue when setting up the PC from scratch - you know that there is a channel on a certain transponder but you can't find it in the guide and Media Center says there are no channels found when you do a manual scan.

The reason Media Center says there are no new channels is that the channels actually exist in the database but they have different numbers and names. They were sometimes disabled as well.

I used notepad++ to open a lineup backup file and search for the unique channel ids, which allowed me to find the number the channel numbers that were assigned.

I then used guide editor to reconfigure them.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:16 pm

technodevotee wrote:I've a similar problem on my PC with satellite cards as well although it was only a couple of channels that went missing for me.

I've had a similar issue when setting up the PC from scratch - you know that there is a channel on a certain transponder but you can't find it in the guide and Media Center says there are no channels found when you do a manual scan.

The reason Media Center says there are no new channels is that the channels actually exist in the database but they have different numbers and names. They were sometimes disabled as well.

I used notepad++ to open a lineup backup file and search for the unique channel ids, which allowed me to find the number the channel numbers that were assigned.

Another option would be to use the client beta I created http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg ... a1.1.18.7z) that you can toggle displaying the original channel number and the custom channel number. If MS is still involved with you WMC, then it is definitely likely they pushed some changes to your lineup that screwed up the numbers for those channels.

Using the beta client, you should be able to find the channels if they still exist and not related to what I described in my previous post.
- Gary

nairnmonster

Post by nairnmonster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:10 am

garyan2 wrote:There's only 1 method I have found to "recover" a deleted/hidden channel. It works for OTA so it might work for satellite as well. Go to settings->TV->Tv Signal->Scan for More Channels and click the [Delete All] button. This will empty all your scanned channels from the database to include these dead channels. Once done, click the [Scan again] button. This of course might as well be a from scratch setup ... you will lose all your customization (custom call signs and channel numbers) and your assigned listings for each channel.

If possible, can you manually add a missing channel in WMC (settings->TV->Guide->Add Missing Channels)? If not, you can try Guide Editor to add a DVB channel.

Curious ...
1) Did you delete the channels using EPG123 or Guide Editor?
2) What program did you use to attach the guide listings to those channels? EPG123/Guide Tool/Guide Editor/WMC (any, all, something else)
3) What was your guide source for those channels? EPG123/EPG Collector/...

Reasons ...
1) I ask because once you delete a channel it cannot be "scanned" back in. It already exists in the database but is marked as delected and disassociated from the tuner.

2) I ask because depending on how the listings were attached to the channel, it might cause problems for number 3. Each channel will initially be associated to at least 1 lineup (the scanned lineup). When you attach a listing, the channel gets associated with that listings lineup as primary. EPG123, when subscribing to a listing, will ensure that the channel keeps the scanned lineup as secondary. This way, if the listing disappears, it will fall back to the scanned lineup and stay visible. Other tools may replace the scanned lineup for the channel so if the listings disappear that channel is no longer associate with any lineups and will no longer be visible/available.

3) I ask because depending on number 2, if the source listings was no longer part of the imported lineup, then that is probably what initiate the whole mess.

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

To answer the questions,

1) Did you delete the channels using EPG123 or Guide Editor? No, no channels were deleted, only disabled.
2) What program did you use to attach the guide listings to those channels? EPG123/Guide Tool/Guide Editor/WMC (any, all, something else) Guidetool
3) What was your guide source for those channels? EPG123/EPG Collector/... EPG123

nairnmonster

Post by nairnmonster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:11 am

garyan2 wrote:
technodevotee wrote:I've a similar problem on my PC with satellite cards as well although it was only a couple of channels that went missing for me.

Another option would be to use the client beta I created http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg ... a1.1.18.7z) that you can toggle displaying the original channel number and the custom channel number. If MS is still involved with you WMC, then it is definitely likely they pushed some changes to your lineup that screwed up the numbers for those channels.

Using the beta client, you should be able to find the channels if they still exist and not related to what I described in my previous post.
I tried this, but the client beta crashes on startup! I got an older version to run, but could not see where I could sort by channel ids?

### Ignore this, I was an idiot. Working on it now ###
Last edited by nairnmonster on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:15 am

nairnmonster wrote:I tried this, but the client beta crashes on startup! I got an older version to run, but could not see where I could sort by channel ids?
Oh, I'm sorry. What version of WMC are you using? The one I have on the site is for 8.1.

Sorry.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:17 am

nairnmonster wrote:3) What was your guide source for those channels? EPG123/EPG Collector/... EPG123
Were there any errors in your trace.log file that would indicate those channels disappeared? I'm assuming you did not deselect those channels from download in the configuration GUI.
- Gary

nairnmonster

Post by nairnmonster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:19 am

garyan2 wrote:
nairnmonster wrote:3) What was your guide source for those channels? EPG123/EPG Collector/... EPG123
Were there any errors in your trace.log file that would indicate those channels disappeared? I'm assuming you did not deselect those channels from download in the configuration GUI.
I'm just special, working now, trying the fix you said. Will get back to you.

nairnmonster

Post by nairnmonster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:22 am

garyan2 wrote:
Tried but not working, think I will start from scratch. But what do you recommend for me to make sure this doesn't happen again?

I used guidetool to subscribe the EPG to the channel. Didn't seem to work for me with EPG123
Attachments
Capture.JPG

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:47 am

I recommend the EPG123 Client simply because I know what it is doing and how I try to prevent things like this happening.

For the beta client for w7, use this link (http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg ... a1.1.18.7z)
- Gary

nairnmonster

Post by nairnmonster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:54 am

garyan2 wrote:I recommend the EPG123 Client simply because I know what it is doing and how I try to prevent things like this happening.

For the beta client for w7, use this link (http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg ... a1.1.18.7z)
And this will allow me to subscribe the listing to the channels like guidetool?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:02 am

nairnmonster wrote:And this will allow me to subscribe the listing to the channels like guidetool?
Yes. The other versions did too, but did not show custom channel numbers; they only showed the original channel numbers from the scan. The beta version will show you the custom channel numbers as well as allow you to change the channel numbers along with the call signs.
- Gary

nairnmonster

Post by nairnmonster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:28 pm

garyan2 wrote:
nairnmonster wrote:And this will allow me to subscribe the listing to the channels like guidetool?
Yes. The other versions did too, but did not show custom channel numbers; they only showed the original channel numbers from the scan. The beta version will show you the custom channel numbers as well as allow you to change the channel numbers along with the call signs.
Thanks for your time on this.

I couldn't see how to subscribe each listing to each channel. I liked guidetool, but if EPG123 can do it all and has some kind of protection from whats happened. I would rather that. does the guide show details on this, I seem to be missing it?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:32 pm

nairnmonster wrote:I couldn't see how to subscribe each listing to each channel. I liked guidetool, but if EPG123 can do it all and has some kind of protection from whats happened. I would rather that. does the guide show details on this, I seem to be missing it?
Page 9 of the guide.

To sum it up, select a channel on the left, right-click the listing on the right and select Subscribe. Or the other way around... select a listing on the right, right-click the channel(s) on the left and select Subscribe.
- Gary

nairnmonster

Post by nairnmonster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:34 pm

garyan2 wrote:
nairnmonster wrote:I couldn't see how to subscribe each listing to each channel. I liked guidetool, but if EPG123 can do it all and has some kind of protection from whats happened. I would rather that. does the guide show details on this, I seem to be missing it?
Page 9 of the guide.

To sum it up, select a channel on the left, right-click the listing on the right and select Subscribe. Or the other way around... select a listing on the right, right-click the channel(s) on the left and select Subscribe.

Brilliant, will get that going. How long does the "clean start" normally take? Been running for 10mins currently.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:36 pm

Which part are you on? It all depends on your setup. My simple OTA setup takes me all of 7 minutes to complete. A cable setup can take 20-30 minutes. The number of channels in the lineup(s) you download will also take some time.
- Gary

nairnmonster

Post by nairnmonster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:37 pm

garyan2 wrote:Which part are you on? It all depends on your setup. My simple OTA setup takes me all of 7 minutes to complete. A cable setup can take 20-30 minutes. The number of channels in the lineup(s) you download will also take some time.
Just clicked on the "clean start" button so I can start fresh.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:40 pm

The first thing it does before deleting the database is backup all the information which can take some time to make sure the backup is up-to-date. It uses a mcupdate call which will force the backup so can take some time. When it is done, it will backup all those files into a zip file in the epg123\backup folder to restore if you need to.

Once all that is complete, then it will prompt to open WMC to proceed to Step 2.
- Gary

nairnmonster

Post by nairnmonster » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:41 pm

garyan2 wrote:The first thing it does before deleting the database is backup all the information which can take some time to make sure the backup is up-to-date. It uses a mcupdate call which will force the backup so can take some time. When it is done, it will backup all those files into a zip file in the epg123\backup folder to restore if you need to.

Once all that is complete, then it will prompt to open WMC to proceed to Step 2.

Sorry, wasn't patient enough. Thanks