Problem with just 2 channels

prairiedog

HTPC Specs: Show details

Problem with just 2 channels

Post by prairiedog » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:19 pm

Been dealing with this for a while. I am using a HDHR Prime with WMC on Windows 8.1 extending to a few 360's, and have an issue where JUST ESPN and ESPN2 do not appear when viewed through WMC. It shows the channel details but the Dolby icon kind of flickers and neither audio or video show up. If I use VLC or the Quick TV software that Silicon Dust gives out the channels appear fine.

So, I have some info. I recorded ESPN and TNT channel and looked at the wtv file with VLC to view the streams, and this is what I found:
http://imgur.com/a/898BN

Image 1: NOT WMC: I viewed ESPN through VLC on desktop, shows video Codec: MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv). Again, this views fine when I use VLC or the HDHR QuickTV app.

Image 2: WMC recording of TNT, shows video Codec: MPEG-2 Video (mp2v)

Image 3/4: List of streams from a recorded WMC ESPN channel

I had the tech here this morning (Charter) and we tried a new cablecard, which didn't fix it. I did notice that this only happens on the 153MHz band, where ESPN and ESPN2 are located.

So, is there a reason why WMC is not able to stream the mpgv stream? I am grasping at straws here. Minnesota boy here and the Vikings play on ESPN next Monday, so I am motivated to fix this.
Thanks for any and all assistance you can provide!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:15 am

WMC should be able to play those channels.

Try re-running TV Setup

Tasks/Settings/TV/TV Signal

prairiedog

Post by prairiedog » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:05 pm

Crash2009 wrote:WMC should be able to play those channels.

Try re-running TV Setup

Tasks/Settings/TV/TV Signal

Thanks for your reply.

I have completely removed and reinstalled WMC in an earlier attempt to fix the issue. For your second recommendation (tasks) there's no option to do that. I really wonder why would all the other channels work aside from these two?

bootloop

Post by bootloop » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:15 am

prairiedog wrote:..... For your second recommendation (tasks) there's no option to do that.
Which option? No "Tasks" option at all? You should see this:

or no Settings > TV > TV Signal > Set Up TV Signal, like this?:
I really wonder why would all the other channels work aside from these two?
With cable cards you don't have the option to scan for more channels but if you have "Set Up TV Signal" [which you must have previously had to tune channels in the first place] you can re-do it to see if those flaky channels can be tuned properly.

prairiedog

Post by prairiedog » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:47 pm

With cable cards you don't have the option to scan for more channels but if you have "Set Up TV Signal" [which you must have previously had to tune channels in the first place] you can re-do it to see if those flaky channels can be tuned properly.
That option is not there to re-do. I believe that option would only be there if I have not set up the TV signal before, which I have multiple times trying to solve this issue. So I think once setup is complete, that option is gone. Since that didn't resolve the issue before I am hesitant to do it yet again and have to reconfigure everything - and when I re-setup things before I deleted everything in the WMC eHome folders/databases etc.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:24 am

Maybe you haven't run the DCA. The Digital Cable Advisor is located near the top of the WMC start page within Extra's or Extra's Gallery

Here is a little wright up (with pictures) on most of the TV-Setup. The wright-up assumes you have all ready installed PlayReady and DCA manually.

viewtopic.php?p=106151#p106151

By the way, TV Setup never disappears. Most likely you dont have it because you haven't run DCA.

prairiedog

Post by prairiedog » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:25 am

Crash2009 wrote:Maybe you haven't run the DCA. The Digital Cable Advisor is located near the top of the WMC start page within Extra's or Extra's Gallery

Here is a little wright up (with pictures) on most of the TV-Setup. The wright-up assumes you have all ready installed PlayReady and DCA manually.

viewtopic.php?p=106151#p106151

By the way, TV Setup never disappears. Most likely you dont have it because you haven't run DCA.
Right on, I did not have DCA installed. However, even after installing and rescanning just channels 800 and 801 are not working.

Would there be any codec packs I am missing ? Kind of grasping at straws again it seems. Or windows updates (8.1 pro) that could have broken it? It's been this way for maybe 4-6 months - when it started I didn't watch those channels much and I hoped it would be resolved magically over time via reboots, etc..

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:32 am

Drm channels use the Microsoft codec and play Ready.

Those other codecs are used to play other types of video and sound files

Look around in tasks settings TV look for playready update

prairiedog

Post by prairiedog » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:02 am

Crash2009 wrote:Drm channels use the Microsoft codec and play Ready.

Those other codecs are used to play other types of video and sound files

Look around in tasks settings TV look for playready update
Playready is installed to the latest version (1.3) on Windows 8.1.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:50 am

I meant...Look around in the WMC/Tasks/Settings/Etc. I forget where it is. Somewhere in there is PlayReady Update. Find it and run it.

tardyturtle

Post by tardyturtle » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:53 pm

I am also having this same problem with ESPN on Charter. I first noticed it about a month ago when Monday Night Football recordings wouldn't work. I'm also unable to get the videos to play in VLC (it stutters a couple of frames and then turns black with no video or audio). My current workaround was to activate the ESPN SD channel which works but looks terrible.